Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Foriegn Fright Flicks : MARTYRS ( Review )

A young womans quest for revenge on those she believes abducted and tortured her when she was a child leads both herself and her closest friend into an unending nightmare that will take them to the darkest regions of human suffering..

I've had to wait quite some time to review MARTYRS. Its been on my mind to give my thoughts on this piece for a long time now. Ive viewed it four times nce its release, and Ive played it over and over in my mind. Finally after all this time Ive came to understand how I actually feel about the film.

I'll say right off the bat that this is a masterfully made film, with wonderful performances from all involved. Director Pascal Laugier has very rightly been hailed as a master of both cinema and the horror genre. He's created a rare beat with this film. A peice thats beyond genre thats as beauitifully crafted as anything out there. He's very quickly become one of the trailblazers for the French New Wave of horror thats taken the world by its throat and shown us the true nature of fear. He excells here. As the young leads Lucie and Anna, respectively, both Mylene Jampanoi and Morjana Alaouiare are fantastic. Mylenes 'Lucie' is a tragic and fearful figure, desperate and doomed. As a counterpoint, Morjana's 'Anna' is gentle, loving and infinitely compasonate. The relationship between these two oppotes is, for much of our tale, the driving force. Lighting and cinematography are just as stark as a film of this calibre requires without being distracting, and the muc veers wildly from experimental freakouts, to giallo-esque rock rythmes, to all out mournful requiems. It all fits. MARTYRS is the whole package. Now, with the rest of the review I'll try and express how it FEELS, because MARTYRS is all about feeling. It goes beyond being mply a film and veers into territories uncharted. Its been compared to HELLRAISER, and to PASON OF THE CHRIST, among others. None of these films comes close. Neither in terms of horror or in terms of spiritual cathars.

MARTYRS is the sort of cinematic experience very few will say they enjoy. In fact, its very much the sort of experience, cinematic or otherwise, that most will never wish to go through again. The questions that arise is ones head as they watch this film are reason enough to avoid it in the future, not to mention the images that are burned into your mind or the feelings of despair the film can inspire in even the lightest of souls. This is not a film to be entered into blithely.

MARTYRS is something of a transcendent experience. Its a work of pure art masquerading as a horror film. That it works completely as both an art house study of the human state, AND as a hyper violent and often terrifying horror film, are just two of its many, many wonders. Its a horror film. A story of redemption through suffering. An analys of religious extremism. A look at the after effects of child abuse. A journey into guilt. It draws the viewer in from frame one and pulls you kicking and screaming into the darkness, and it never stops to see how your holding up, nor does it care.

If your new to this film, be sure to go in blind. The less you know the more powerful and shocking the many twists and turns are. Its cinema as cathars, and as such, you'll want to be open to its rewards and its sorrows. Be prepared for some very tough scenes. There is serious human degradation here, none of which I'll speak of as each act of violence is as important to the films message as is its overall theme. Like IRREVERBLE, there have been outcries of exploitation and gorenography nce its release, but these are merely means by which to attempt to categorise something which cant and will not fit into any previous cinematic mould. You may love it, you may hate it. You may mply respect it from afar as many I know who have viewed it seem to. Like a wild animal, both beautiful and deadly. One thing I'm absolutely sure you will never do is forget it. MARTYRS tattoos itself onto your soul. Its without doubt one of the most disturbing stories ever put to film, yet somehow, in some inconceivable way, MARTYRS is beautiful. There is hope here. There is love, and in some imperceptible way there is gentleness is even the most extreme scenes of heartbreaking tragedy.

After viewing this stunning work repeatedly, Ive found its lost none of its power. I believe all great art shines a light into our own existence and if we allow it, into our own soul. Yet some art is so fearless, so determined to break us free of our mental bonds and chains, that it changes how we view the world entire. This is one such work. MARTYRS stays with us. And like that poor wretched woman who haunts our heroine, Lucie. Its horrific, heartbreaking, disgusting, tender and quietly beautiful all in one moment.

MARTYRS is a masterpiece.

(AUTHORS NOTE: Again, no trailers. Im rallying against the damn things until distributors start condering the actual integrity of the director and the work at hand, and not spoiling it for anyone. Next up I'll be reviewing TRIANGLE, which if you havent seen, for teh love of god, avoid the trailers. I saw them after viewing and if Id seen them beforehand I would have been one unhappy chappy. Peace, Kyle )
Dr Phibes Monday 5/09/2011 at 02:56 PM | 75722
This is a perfect review.

Martyrs is a hard movie to watch and to think about later....that's horror.

It is also an amazing film from the acting to the direction to the cinematography..

I more than agree with not viewing the trailer, go in blind.
NightShape Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 01:40 PM | 75777
thanks for the kind words Nightshape. i was half expecting a ton of replies full of the hating.lol. Seems like a lot of people missed the point of Martyrs. Ive been drwan looks of disgust myself for calling it a masterpiece. Some people, eh?
Dr Phibes Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 03:39 PM | 75780
You're welcome....people complain about original concepts yet it's those same people that look at a movie like Martyrs like it's a waste of time or too strange....
NightShape Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 06:01 PM | 75788
hahhaa..so true. Haters, they make the internet so much more entertaining !:D
Dr Phibes Sunday 5/22/2011 at 10:19 AM | 76633