Forums Horror Movie Talk
To Remake or Not Remake - That is the Question?

Hello Bidites!! Got something that I want your opinions on!

Alright, what horror/slasher movies do you think should or shouldn't be remade.

I know some of you are not big fans of remakes, but I know that there are some out there that do like remakes!! And if you want, say who you would want to direct the remake...

And don't say Michael Bay!!
awesomesuperdude Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 12:55 AM | 75747
I'm not really in favor of remakes, so this is a pretty hard question for me. I would have to say that what I would be most excited about would be the rumor of Wes Craven remaking his own "Shocker". I love the character Horace Pinker and would like to see more of him. Only real problem with that is that actor Mitch Pilegge is a little to old to reprise the role.
Maynardtscuggs Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 01:19 AM | 75749
I'm also not a fan of MOST remakes, but some I liked (TCM, F13, ect.). If I wanted a remake, I would want one of The Toxic Avenger. Can you imagine if they made that into a serious, NOT-CHEESEY movie. I think that would be HILARIOUS! A lot of people probably wouldn't like that AT ALL but I think it'd be a fun watch.

It should be directed by the director of TCM remake and F13 remake, because I think it's the same guy. And produced by . . . MICHAEL BAY
Tobyisoctopus Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 01:37 AM | 75751
The line between remake being good or bad for the industry is slim. Too many bad remakes and that's all you'll hear about from non-genre fanatics. Too many good ones and you'll get nothing but remakes of everything from Caligari to Abott & Costello Meet Frankenstein to Terminator... so you need them to move the industry along. Like fiber.

My entry would be Tourist Trap and get Guillermo Del Toro to do it. Or maybe Stuart Gordon. Definitely get Mike Patton to do the soundtrack. I think after Gordon's forray into Dolls and del Toro's genius with costume/effects conception we'd have a great film. For the lead you'll need somebody gritty. This may sound cliche but get Gary Busey to do it. If he can do the uncrazy part you've got a man who can freak you out on the homicidal de.
DrJimmyTerror Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 01:41 AM | 75753
Personally I love remakes some of them topped the original but there was one I truly Hated it was the stepfather and to add some of them are saviors in my point of view because the last of the franchise for ex. Halloween Resurrection & The Texas Chainsaw Massacre the next generation they were awful IMO.
hm4life Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 04:31 AM | 75766
I don't mind remakes if they are done well... I thought TCM and Hills Have Eyes were a decent movies, and a few of my favs of all time are remakes... The Thing, The Fly, The Blob...

What I'd love to see them have a crack at would be some of the creature features I grew up with that haven't fared too well visually over time such as Critters, Gremlins or Goulies (I must have loved small animatronic monsters when I was young).

Or even rebooting some awesome franchises like Return of the Living Dead or the Toxic Avenger. Just keep them fun I think.
R-Awesome85 Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 04:59 AM | 75767
Remakes do have an exciting feel because our favorite Horror characters will be on the big screen again....HOWEVER it also shows that hollywood can have too big of an ego to admit that (some of) their executives) shouldn't be turning away amazing filmmakers....Look at the foreign market, great movies, great ideas and how many remakes?

If there is going to be a remake keep Michael Bay away from it....

I will admit that I like RZ Halloween remake BUT it will never come close to the John Carpenter original....clasc.
NightShape Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 05:57 PM | 75787
I enjoy most remakes, in fact a lot of them are as good as the original in my eyes. They bring back the characters and story of the original back into theatres for a new generation, introduce new ideas and make people curious about the original so they go out and rent it. It doesn't take anything away from the original film. For those who say "It ruins it's good reputation" or something along those lines, I say that's bullshit. Most horror films have many sequels and most of the time the sequels are nowhere near as good as the first movie. The sequels usually drive the franchise into a more comedic and ridiculous direction (ANOES, Child's Play ect.) The remakes bring it back to their roots with a more serious and scary tone that resembles the original.

The only remake that I absolutely despised was Black Christmas. Dear god...it managed to completely demolish everything that was good about the original while adding one retarded backstory.

Loved both Halloween remakes, Friday the 13th, ANOES, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the prequel, Dawn of the Dead and many others. I also don't mind changes to the characters either, afterall it is a REMAKE and things change.

I would love to see a Rob Zombie directed remake of Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse. I watched it recently and thought it was great. I would really enjoy to see Rob's take on it. He knows how to do crazy fucked up families and circus themes. He could make it really grimy and terrifying. It would be perfect for him.
Anonymous Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 11:19 PM | 75821