Forums Horror Movie Talk
Hollywood is Lost - What's The Next Big Horror Franchise?

We have all seen horror movies based off of something, right? Whether it be based on a holiday, superstition, true events, real people, an urban legends, or even other movies.

It's amazing what ideas we can can come up with some of these mple foundations, and see how original we can be with them. nowadays, movies have tried to breath new life into

older concepts (remakes) and most have been unsuccessful. Originality has been extremely lacking these past few years, and is scaring me more than any horror movie. It seems that all of the good ideas have been used already, and fresh ideas don't get enough attention.Horror IS still alive, and I believe it is up to us to keep it going by any means necessary. What is something that you have not seen done before,or would want to see more of? If you have a concept for a movie or character that you would like to see in a movie, don't hetate to comment about it or show us! Like I have said before, the majority of horror movies are based off of something.

GO CRAZY!!
awesomesuperdude Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 03:01 AM | 75759
I've talked about this theme as well. I also say that Horror is NOT dying but it's in its incubation period while the "horror" films of today pass by. The indie horror films are the ones that are staying true to the genre, we just need to be heard. There are so many original films, screenplays, writers, ideas, thinkers, etc. but they cannot be acknowledged because studios don't want to risk their billions, millions, whatever, on a movie that may or may not do so well.

I don't know what these studios are thinking. They're wasting millions of dollars on high-budgeted and over-hyped horror films that don't do any justice.

Instead of just funding these awesome, great and well-written horror films by true horror fans that won't cost these studios millions. You get me, right?

They can just spend 5-10 millions dollars and in return, they will get millions more back; if they only trusted us...If they only believe.

I promise that I will be one of the filmmakers that will bring back horror the way it should be. I will bring back originality, I will bring back real horror, suspense, thrills and spills, terror and psychological scares everything a fan wants.

It is my duty and I will make us proud. There are too many of us out there not getting the light of day; but that's okay, because the darkness is what inspires us. But, we'll break out and vanquish these so-called vampire movies. You know the ones I'm talking about. The one's that, what? "SPARKLE!?" Are you KIDDING ME?! Do they really sparkle!? Someone, please tell me that isn't so. PLEASE!

I rambled on there on that soapbox, sorry 'bout that.

Arturo

the following link takes you to a short film I made that cost me practically nothing. Just money on food for actors and gas fare. Check it out, it wasn't made for millions of dollars.

NOT HUMAN

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi3800697113

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1737636
enigmawriter Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 08:11 PM | 75794

Very enjoyable Arturo! I loved the twist!! I like making movies too (When I can get people and write something :P). I completely agree with you, Fans should be trusted! Cuz they know more about horror than hollywood does!!

awesomesuperdude Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 09:51 PM | 75796
I am not sure if it is just what I would like to see or what I think will happen, but I think the more brutal psychological films are going to start popping up more.

Rob Zombie did such a kick ass job at the psychology of Michael Meyers and the absolute brutality of what a monster can do, and I think horror fans not only appreciated it, but deserve more!

You see it too with Dexter, more of the psychological aspect, people need it.

They are tired of remakes and the same old story being done, they need something they can really chew on.I for one, am impressed and love the sheer brutality some recent films are showing, this is what horror really is, It is relentless and unapologetic
2LindsayMorrison Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 12:19 AM | 75844
Kudos on the short film Enigma, keep up the good work.

Lindsay, I agree that we need more intelligent and edgy horror movies. It would be great to be able to cringe, jump and think, all in the same movie.
Maynardtscuggs Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 02:17 AM | 75881
:HOLY SHNIKES:

Very enjoyable Arturo! I loved the twist!! I like making movies too (When I can get people and write something :P). I completely agree with you, Fans should be trusted! Cuz they know more about horror than hollywood does!! Thank you, awesomesuperdude, I'm glad that you liked it.

I always have a hard time finding the time to make movies especially when it conflicts with your talent. Post your movies, when you get the chance, I'd like to see them.

So, true, we do know more.
enigmawriter Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 03:01 AM | 75893
Kudos on the short film Enigma, keep up the good work.

Thank you, Maynardtscuggs. :)
enigmawriter Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 03:04 AM | 75894

Very enjoyable Arturo! I loved the twist!! I like making movies too (When I can get people and write something :P). I completely agree with you, Fans should be trusted! Cuz they know more about horror than hollywood does!! Thank you, awesomesuperdude, I'm glad that you liked it.

I always have a hard time finding the time to make movies especially when it conflicts with your talent. Post your movies, when you get the chance, I'd like to see them.

So, true, we do know more.

Here is the one that I made for a contest on here a lil while ago, and I won with it!http://youtu.be/eciD6ugefuk

Here is one that I made for a friend of mine's english project. It was based off of a twisted poem that she wrote. http://youtu.be/vEgCN87AD1g

This one I made to show off a mask that I got at the time. I filmed it all by myself http://youtu.be/3WeXAjylRvM

You can check out my account with all of my other videos if you want
awesomesuperdude Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 04:01 AM | 75903
Very good work. I really enjoyed all three of your videos. I especially liked the last one. Very subtle, very spooky and I like the choice of muc. Nice touch. I was in pain with the KARMA movie, I don't need to explain why. I think all men know why. But, I really like your choice of camera potioning for the last movie. TWAS THE NIGHT HE CAME HOME.

Congrats on your winning first place with FANATIC.
enigmawriter Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 07:06 AM | 75904
hollywood really just needs to take risks on new killers cause that is bullshit im all for sequles but remakes no

heartlessangel Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 02:34 PM | 75911
I

think

we

are

seeing

more

moviescome

out

that

are

direct

to

dvd

that

are

really

good

compared

to

the

crapthat

is hitting

theaters .

One

that

I

recently

stumbled

onwas

satan's

little

helper

which

for

me

was

very

original

and

very

quircky

why

can't

we

have

more

this

?

I

also

really

enjoy

the

movie's

the

orphanage

it

mightrequire

me

to

do

some

reading

but

there

is

always

a

intresting

twist

One

of

the

few good

movies

I

have

caught

in

theater

that

was

very

tounge in cheek

and

original was not

even

horror

but

the

comedy

named

paul

...... before

you

all

laugh

me

out

of

here

it

has

the

most

original

ending

I have seen

in years
jrcarr Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 07:51 PM | 75935

Very enjoyable Arturo! I loved the twist!! I like making movies too (When I can get people and write something :P). I completely agree with you, Fans should be trusted! Cuz they know more about horror than hollywood does!!

Where do you guys get your muc? Are they royalty free? I am in the early stages of a new film project and muc is crucial. Any help would be great. Thanks, -Joseph
Sephit Thursday 5/12/2011 at 08:09 PM | 75995
-Joseph

For my movie, I asked a mucian to help me out. There are a lot of mucians out there that would like to lend their talents in return that they get their muc noticed. I am now friends with him and will be compong my next movie.

As for getting royalty free muc, I would check the internet for which muc you can choose that is not copyrighted. A friend of mine contacted the company that released a song he wanted, they gave him the go ahead nce he wasn't making any money from it.
enigmawriter Thursday 5/12/2011 at 08:37 PM | 75998
-Joseph

For my movie, I asked a mucian to help me out. There are a lot of mucians out there that would like to lend their talents in return that they get their muc noticed. I am now friends with him and will be compong my next movie.

As for getting royalty free muc, I would check the internet for which muc you can choose that is not copyrighted. A friend of mine contacted the company that released a song he wanted, they gave him the go ahead nce he wasn't making any money from it.

Thanks man, I've found some on the internet, but I was just wondering if you guys had certain places you went to specifically for that. I'm somewhat iffy on composers some times because we may not always see eye to eye or ear to ear so to speak on what would work best. Thanks for the heads up and I really liked your short film, especially the cool twist at the end.
Sephit Thursday 5/12/2011 at 10:57 PM | 76011
I know this may sound weird, but try myspace. My friend contacted many mucians there, most of them just want to break out and get noticed, same with us filmmakers.

He found a lot of mucians who want to help, some offered to compose for him. It just takes some getting used to going through the searches. Also, try IMDb.com.

That's where I found my composer.

I searched film composers and left messages in the message boards.

A day later, someone who liked that composer contacted me and wanted to help. There are many ways, but those two are the quickest I've found.

Thank you, I'm glad that you enjoyed my film.

It will be screened in Pittsburgh at a horror convention and also in New Mexico. I'm stoked.
enigmawriter Friday 5/13/2011 at 01:26 AM | 76025
I know this may sound weird, but try myspace. My friend contacted many mucians there, most of them just want to break out and get noticed, same with us filmmakers.

He found a lot of mucians who want to help, some offered to compose for him. It just takes some getting used to going through the searches. Also, try IMDb.com.

That's where I found my composer.

I searched film composers and left messages in the message boards.

A day later, someone who liked that composer contacted me and wanted to help. There are many ways, but those two are the quickest I've found.

Thank you, I'm glad that you enjoyed my film.

It will be screened in Pittsburgh at a horror convention and also in New Mexico. I'm stoked.

That is ck man! I'm hoping my next film will be good enough quality to be sent to festivals etc. and I will certainly look up composers on those tes in the meantime. Thanks for the heads up and wish you luck with your short film.
Sephit Friday 5/13/2011 at 06:51 AM | 76094
Keep us posted on your films. I'll sure you'll find your composer. The quality really doesn't matter, if you have a good story and actors, that's all that counts. But this one is a big BIG plus, make sure you mic your talent, either with microphones attached to their bodies or a boom mic, the other is lighting. Other than that, it's all up to you.

Arturo
enigmawriter Friday 5/13/2011 at 08:00 AM | 76106
I haven't seen Paul yet. will need to see it.
enigmawriter Friday 5/13/2011 at 03:13 PM | 76152
Hello Bidites.

Well ladies and gentlemen...I too am making an attempt at presenting quality horror for your bleeding enjoyment. Most of you readers already know, but for those of you who don't, I created "Gun Town" in 2009 as my very first feature film about a wild west tourist attraction that is occupied by a less than sane family.

As a filmmaker, my goal is to give the viewer a good movie to watch. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not concerned with competing against other filmmakers, how many awards I can win, or even competing against Hollywood. I only wish to entertain those who dere to be entertained. After all, without fans...there's no film.

Take a moment to look at the official webte for the western themed horror film Gun Town - "draw...or die".

www.guntownthemovie.com

By the way FANATIC...nice work.
aceofspades70 Thursday 5/19/2011 at 01:22 AM | 76514