Forums Horror Movie Talk
Is 3-D Here to Stay or Just A Passing Fad?

I proudly admit that I'm a fan of 3-D. in the 80's brief resurgent of 3-D movies we got titles like "Friday The 13th 3-D" "Jaws 3-D" and "The Amityville Horror 3-D". Seems that every third installment of horror movies were released in 3-D. But, this type of 3-D was really bad. Nothing could conjure a headache faster than wearing those paper red/blue lensed 3-D glasses. this short fad died quickly. Through out the rest of the 80's and 90's, only a small few movies were released in 3-D. The biggest of these was "Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare", fortunately only the last 10 minutes of the movie was in 3-D.

By 2000 a new type of 3-D camera had been developed, thanks most in part by James Cameron. The first of this new generation of 3-D movies were more or less a test for James Cameron. "Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3-D" was the biggest of these test movies and helped Cameron tweak out the the process before filming "Avatar". It doesn't matter if you liked or disliked "Avatar" or if your not a fan of 3-D, you have to admit you had never seen 3-D like that before.

The success of these 3-D movies led to a more bastard form of 3-D. The 2-D to 3-D converon. Filming a movie in regular 2-D and then computer manipulating it into 3-D. This process is much cheaper to produce, and it shows. "Piranha 3-D" "Clash Of The Titans" and "The Last Airbender" are great examples of this process. All have blurry images, ghosting and very unusual depths. Unfortunately, nearly 4 out of 5 3-D movies being released use the 2-D to 3-D converon. There are some out there that are shot in 3-D. "Redent Evil: Afterlife" "Saw 3-D" "Sanctum" and "Drive Angry" all have very sharp and clean edges with depth that is never distracting.When it comes to the best type of 3-D movie it's ealy the CG animated movies. It's much eaer to convert an animated image to 3-D than it is a live action movie. Disney and Pixar have done a fantastic job with their 3-D animated movies.

The way I see it is that 3-D is going to be around a while. It helps your local theater who rely on concesons and on screen advertisements to earn an extra buck on ticket sales. It is much eaer on the eyes to watch and the kids love it. Also, with the release of theater quality 3-D in your home is really going to boost the popularity.

I can personally say that it is much better at home and I contribute that to the ze of the screen. It doesn't seem as overwhelming as the big screen theater and it is much eaer to take everything in. And now with the ability to play video games like "Call Of Duty: Black Ops" and "Killzone 3" in 3-D will open up a whole new level of video gaming.

There are nearly twice as many 3-D movies released this year over last year. 2012 looks like it will double again. "Thor" "Captain America" "The Green Lantern" "Priest" "Conan" and "Pirates Of The Caribbean" are just a few of the 3-D titles being released this summer.

To me the most disturbing part of this whole thing is converting older movies to 3-D. George Lucas is currently doing tests on his "Star Wars" saga. Peter Jackson has shown interest in converting both The "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy and

"King Kong" and James Cameron is converting "Titanic". The most shocking news I heard was that Baz Luhrmann is remaking "The Great Gatsby" in 3-D.

The 3 best movies based on 3-D quality Avatar Redent Evil: Afterlife Sanctum

The 3 worst movies based on 3-D quality Clash Of The Titans The Last Airbender The Green Hornet

Note: I in no way recommend any movie list above. Some are good, some are bad. That choice is yours.
Maynardtscuggs Tuesday 5/10/2011 at 03:34 PM | 75779
I

think

3 d

is

going

to

be around

for

long time I

mean anytime

a movie

gets

put

in

3d

format

they

make

extra

3 dollars

of

each

and

every

ticketwhich

is

well

deserved

. I

will say

that

I

takemy

kids

as

often

as I

can

to

see

the

new

disney

or

pixar

moviesin

3d

and

Rio

has

to

be

one

of

the

best
jrcarr Wednesday 5/11/2011 at 07:41 PM | 75933
I think for the most part, when a director knows the movie will be in 3D, they focus too much on what will look cool instead of what might actually benefit the movie as far as scenery and camera angles go.

I personally think Avatar was a horrible and unoriginal movie, and if it hadn't been a spectacular 3D experience people would've seen the movie for what it really was.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is a great example of a movie that was shot in 2D, so there was the attention to detail that is necessary for a movie to work, but was enhanced by 3D, rather than exploited as a nifty visual trick.

Just my opinion, though.

I am legally blind in one eye, so I'm probably misng out on a lot of what people get so excited about with 3D, though this new 3D actually works for me, unlike the old red and blue 3D, which just made everything blurry and oddly colored.
KMLandis66 Thursday 5/12/2011 at 09:58 PM | 76009
I think it's a fad that actually should pass. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I just like a good movie in 2-D. A new flat panel hi-def set is good enough for a great picture.
aceofspades70 Friday 5/13/2011 at 12:39 AM | 76018
I don't think its a fad, is it trendy to have a movie released in 3-D right now? Yes but I think the technology will continue to get better and it will keep movie goers interested
VoltronLions Friday 5/13/2011 at 08:57 PM | 76216
I don't think its a fad, is it trendy to have a movie released in 3-D right now? Yes but I think the technology will continue to get better and it will keep movie goers interested

Agreed. Its here to stay.
ny ghoul Saturday 5/14/2011 at 12:44 AM | 76268
All I can say is that I HOPE it isn't here to stay. I think its too distracting, and I dont think it does anything to enhance the movie experience. Also, if you already wear glasses (like me) , its an uncomfortable pain in the a$$ to wear the 3D glasses on top.
TheFreaka Tuesday 5/17/2011 at 02:26 AM | 76451
3d is here to stay are you kidding? and green hornets 3d at home is one of the best ..i havea 55 inch samsung 3d with like 15 3d blu rays so im sure its here to stay
genocaust Saturday 5/21/2011 at 12:30 AM | 76586
3D is definitely here much to my chagrin. The only 3D movie I have ever seen that I enjoyed was animated. The live action movies I have seen (such as the last Saw movie) were just.. horrible in my opinion. As much as I want 3D to die out quickly, it won't because it's making money. Anything making money for people is going to continue until the demand dies down.
AMadSquirrel21 Thursday 5/26/2011 at 04:15 PM | 76843