Forums Horror Movie Talk
Will FRIDAY THE 13TH: PART 2 Ever Happen? Do You Want It?

You either feel strongly one way or the other about whether a follow up movie to the successful 2009 remake should be made. Fans will remember that PART 2 in the "new" Jason saga was supposed to take place in 2010 on

Friday, August 13th. That date has nce come and gone and the question remains. Are we any closer to seeing Jason Voorhee's on the big screen again?

When the remake debuted at the box office and brought in a whopping $100 million dollars it was immediate, plans for a sequel were in the works. So far were they in the works that Platinum Dunes (the production company behind the new series) already announced they had a script being worked on and it was nearly complete.

We even learned that in the second installment we would see Jason Voorhee's in a new element that we'd never seen before. Jason in snow. It had us excited to see where the film would take us. 3D rumors were running wild and it seemed like it would be only a matter of time before Camp Crystal Lake would be in our future.

Shooting was to begin in late 2009 but as the year came to an end no green light was ever given. Producer Brad Fuller updated fans with a statement saying,

“Still hoping for some good news that will take us back to Crystal Lake." But all remained quite. Nearly a full year later we are still awaiting to here word on whether or not the project will take place.

A few months ago our friends at STYD caught up with Brad Fuller and the producer had this to say about the sequel.

"There's just no movement on it right now. Paramount and New Line are mply evaluating if they're going to make it and that's what's happening." He also revealed that Platinum Dunes was taking baby steps away from the horror genre with plans for a Monster Squad remake and an action film in the works.

With money to be made one would think a revit including Jason back on the big screen would happen. But it certainty doesn't sound like a given. Platinum Dunes is trying to broaden their company by stepping away from the horror genre. This however doesn't mean the project won't happen. A new production company would likely step in and acquire the rights for the film, of course for the right price.

It's likely we haven't seen the last of Jason Voorhee's running around the woods, murdering camp counselors and terrorizing Crystal Lake. But as time passes the shadows of doubt start to creep in making us wonder if we truly has seen the last of Jason on the big screen. Time will tell.http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/1648.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 5/13/2011 at 12:56 AM | 76021
I've discussed this for countless hours over the last 2 years as more and more remakes sadly blood-splattered towards us... and breaking it down between Myers, Voorhees, and Krueger - here's how it falls:

Out of the three of them, the updated ANOES was horrendous and worst attempt at recreating an icon! Moving onto Voorhees and Myers now... while I can appreciate what Rob Zombie tried to do with HALLOWEEN, it took away the very essence of what The Shape (Myers) was all about; evil. And then with the sequel entry in 2009 it destroyed any pros from his initial take on the story. Which only leaves the F13 remake... amazing? not really...terrible? not at all... fun? totally. This is the only attempted re-telling I would watch again; so with that said YES I would watch a sequel entry if done right. However, at this point my faith in Hollywood is quite lacking so I've become accustomed to not expect anything.

As a writer myself of all areas of darkness and mayhem, the next big thing has yet to arrive and the only way to be sure that we are satisfied is if we stop supporting these lackluster filler films and force the studios to recognize the next generation!

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH BIDITES
BringerOfAfterDark Friday 5/13/2011 at 09:40 AM | 76116
id be gutted if they didnt make another. Im one of the two people who actually loved the remake. I thought Mears was the best Jasom, hands down. it couldve been better but it worked for me. Im very fond of that film. Now Jason in the snow..that would be epic

Dr Phibes Friday 5/13/2011 at 01:31 PM | 76134
@DrPhibes - Yes Derek was great, like I said in my post above... the F13 remake was the better franchise restart than the other attempts with Michael and Freddy.
BringerOfAfterDark Friday 5/13/2011 at 10:38 PM | 76239
I enjoyed the remake to an extent. I loved the story and what not but it seemed there was too much TnA. Im not gay at all or anything lol. But the original few didnt have that much imo. But Jason in snow is a sweet concept... i could fly with a sequal tho. I hope the fan made Fri the 13th happens. I said it b4 and ill say it again i think its about time for us fans to finally step up and show the big studios what we can do!
kizzle Saturday 5/14/2011 at 01:45 AM | 76281
Im all for T N A, as long as they aint FAKE! lol @Bringer. The less said about the freddy and micheal remakes, the better ;)
Dr Phibes Tuesday 5/24/2011 at 11:07 PM | 76721
I'd very much like to see another f13. keeping in mind that im one of those guys that generally likes originals and re-makes equally. (most of the time anyways) I don't care how bad, or how many times they are re-made. if they keep coming out with more, ill pay to see more)
pantera11431 Sunday 6/19/2011 at 08:56 PM | 77593
I want it to happen.

I just don't want them to be SO FORMULAIC by feeling like they need to have gratuitous sex scenes & what-not.

The violence in the first one was great & the action & acting were fine.

I'm just the odd horror fan I guess that wants more violence & scares than nudity & sex.
attitudeinc Wednesday 1/11/2012 at 05:52 PM | 89301
Most horror fans want another movie starring their favorite slasher to be made. It gives all of us something to watch, rewatch, dissect, talk about and argue over. The icons are always looked at with a nostalgia that blurs the images in our heads into something that can never be bottled up and put on screen in a manner that will please every last one of us.

The fact still remains that if and when a new installment of Friday the 13th comes out in theaters, there will be a line out the door of horror fans just waiting to see how good or bad the movie will be. Unless of course, we're talking about the newest Hellraiser movie, not even a deal with the devil could save that crap!
Anonymous Wednesday 1/11/2012 at 06:30 PM | 89304
This will happen ONLY if the Friday franchise finally gets into the hands of more competent distributor than idiots from New Line Cinema.

I say let the all rights to franchise return to Paramount, and make a new film without ANY participation of people from 'The house built by Freddy'...
Jerry Blake Wednesday 1/11/2012 at 06:58 PM | 89307
I didn't care much for the Friday the 13th remake, but I'd still like to see a sequel. There have been other installments before the remake that I didn't care for, either, but I always return to give Jason another go. And Jason in a snowy, cold environment sounds like it has potential. I can't believe we had a movie where he was IN SPACE before anyone thought to try out a different kind of weather on planet Earth. And regardless of which camp you're in, whether you want another installment in this series or not, a new Friday will eventually happen. I just hope we get some better characters for Jason to stalk next time around. I know that character development has never been one of the franchise's strong suits, per se, but there have been exceptions to that rule. Many of the characters in Friday the 13th, pt. 2 were strongly developed, and that's why it's my favorite in the franchise so far. Tommy Jarvis was a good character as well. Maybe the next installment in the remake series could do something with him?
ImmortalSidneyP Wednesday 1/11/2012 at 08:39 PM | 89311
Dam

right i want a part 2. What the hell are they thinking ....there thinking about .Bring back Jason DAMM it.We

should be getting a part 3 by this time and they have not even started with this yet come on.FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

By the way good topic.
Mr. J. TORRANCE Wednesday 1/11/2012 at 08:47 PM | 89313
My Opinion-

When it comes to the remakes I agree that F13 was the best out of Jason, Freddy, and Michael.... but what about Texas Chainsaw Massacre? That is the only remake that I think is better than the original. So I'm definetly up for remakes. I mean come on, is there anyone out there that really wants our legendary slashers to R.I.P.? Whether a remake is good or not, every horror fan is gonna see it.
littlewayn13 Thursday 1/12/2012 at 01:40 AM | 89325
3rd Year nce either film & 2nd on elm street. I know with all the bull sh*t money they put into these horrible movies coming out lately

i wouldn't mind Jason or Myers going back to it's roots sequels coming out a couple years after another i mean that's what made 80s Horror 80s Horror right? i can't stand waiting 4,5, 6 years to get another movie it ticks me off!

I mean Hellraiser Revelations wasn't a great movie but it wasn't as bad as some of the horrors ive seen in the last year I was defiantly happy to see another hellraiser & even with direct to dvd i don't really care! I LOVE HORROR!!!!!!! And Horror is dying because all these studio pricks try to go 3D & chase the $100 million dollar mark! Not about the fans anymore.
halloweensince78 Thursday 1/12/2012 at 09:43 AM | 89331
No doubt there will be a new Friday...but if you look back at the New Line era, we see that between Jason goes to Hell and Jason X were 10 years..so sooner or later there will be a new Jason movie...I'd rather see it this year then in 10 years later...think alot of the fans by then are not interested anymore. And yes..Derek was a great Jason...like the guy;-)
UberJason78 Thursday 1/12/2012 at 01:21 PM | 89334
I loved the Friday the 13th remake and every film in the original series.The same with Nightmare on elm street remake and the original series and Halloween remake and it's original film series.They were all great films and I want to see them turn out alot of sequels to those legendary franchises remakes.
horrorlord Friday 1/13/2012 at 03:23 AM | 89385
I will see it, unless they do a retarded "found footage" veron, fuck that style right up its stinky, sweaty ass!
BloodWasEverywhere Friday 1/13/2012 at 03:21 PM | 89408
My Opinion-

When it comes to the remakes I agree that F13 was the best out of Jason, Freddy, and Michael.... but what about Texas Chainsaw Massacre? That is the only remake that I think is better than the original. So I'm definetly up for remakes. I mean come on, is there anyone out there that really wants our legendary slashers to R.I.P.? Whether a remake is good or not, every horror fan is gonna see it.

Dude, The TCM remake was AWFUL! The original TCM is pretty much flawless, in the new one they turned the story from a realistic portrayal of backwoods, texas crazy people into this hyped up, super charged, overly art directed, painfully UNrealistic mess of style over substance. As horror fans we need to rally around the films that truly capture what is genuinely scary about life. The original TCM saw a group of kids who wander too far into a place they don't belong only to freak out the people who live there. Leatherface was NOT a cold blooded murderer, he was a frightened man-boy caught totally off guard buy an invading presence (the main characters). His actions came from fear, fear of the unknown and fear of his father's wrath. Plus all he knew was death and killing, he had been an employee of the slaughterhouse, and as his brother explained near the beginning of the film all the kill floor jobs at the company were replaced by a new technology, so its no surprise that 2 of the victims were killed with a masve hammer (the tool used for slaughtering cows prior to the air gun). My favorite scene is when he kills the second guy in the kitchen, he has a panic attack because he knows his father is going to be pissed off at what he's done. It's fuckin' brilliant film making. There is so much depth to the story one could write a book about it. It's truly scary stuff, because it's REAL, it could actually happen. The TCM remake has NONE of that depth. Instead they opt for your standard issue clanging chains, water dripping from everywhere, spooky dolls nailed to things, crap like that, fuckin' halloween haunted attraction shit (NOT scary, NOT realistic). And the story is ridiculous, the sheriff of the town is the father and everyone in town seems to be on board with their antics. Leatherface is more of a prop than a character, the period details are totally off (set in '73 but uses modern day hair and dress styles and muc from '74), the girl scene at the beginning suggests that this is something the Hewitt family just does all the time (which is totally far fetched, this is NOT how "crazy" works, only in a fuckin' movie would it work this way, in real life IF the Hewitts did this shit all the time the FBI would be ALL OVER THEM, esspecially given one of them is an officer of the law).

The original TCM frightens your mind, the new TCM only attempts to frighten your eyes (and fails). I highly encourage you to revit this horror masterpiece and look at it from a new point of view. I know it wasn't shot in IMAX with a billion dollars, but Tobe Hooper and his team constructed a terrifying story about lost souls ung very little at their disposal, the bigger the budget the more bloated the movie, it who likes to be bloated? Not me.

I'm sorry if I came across as hostile, that's not my intent, but I truly think that the original TCM is an under rated masterpiece that deserves to be on the same level as movies like that of Hitchcock, Kubrick, The Coen Brothers, etc. The remake is just fluff, that's it, once it's over it's over. The original leaves a lasting impreson, it is a remarkable film and should be regarded as such.

The F13 movies were also just fluff so the remake didn't take anything away from that, the only thing misng from the remake is Harry Manfredini's brilliant score, Steve Jablonsky (who scored all 3 Transformers movies, btw) cannot hold a candle to Harry Manfredini.
BloodWasEverywhere Friday 1/13/2012 at 03:55 PM | 89411
The Friday the 13th remake was one of the few that I liked. And yes, we need a sequel. It's been too long, I miss the J-Man.

Nick Death Friday 1/13/2012 at 07:58 PM | 89416