Forums Horror Movie Talk
Friday the 13th (Original) VS. Friday the 13th (Remake)

Ahhh, one of our favorite days of the year. Happy Friday the 13th to everyone and enjoy watching droves of camp counselors being mutilated later tonight on the boob tube if you haven't already lined up the DVD & Blu-ray's. So to celebrate the day that superstitious people dread we decided to have a good old fashioned face off.

FRIDAY THE 13TH THE ORIGINAL

In the original Friday the 13th (1980), we see Mrs. Voorhees (Betsy Palmer) stalk and murder the teenagers who are preparing Camp Crystal Lake for re-opening. She is determined to make sure the camp does not reopen after her son Jason (Ari Lehman) drowned in the lake, because two staff members, who were supposed to be watching him, were having sex. The last counselor, Alice (Adrienne King), fends off Mrs. Voorhees long enough to grab a machete to decapitate her. It's a clasc, it's got Kevin Bacon in it, but no hockey mask killer yet. So although it's the original Jason's legend is just being born, he's not ready to kick ass just yet.

VS.

FRIDAY THE 13TH THE REMAKE

In the remake Friday the 13th (2009), we get a reboot to the franchise that plays off a few of the films and restarts the film series continuity. In this film, after witnesng his mother being beheaded, Jason (Derek Mears) follows in her footsteps and kills anyone who comes to Crystal Lake. Almost thirty years later, Jason kidnaps a young woman who reminds him of his mother. x weeks after her disappearance, her brother Clay Miller (Jared Padalecki) comes to look for her. The pair reunite and work together to seemingly kill Jason. This one has it's pro's and con's. Derek Mears does a great job as the new more athletic Jason. We still get a good back story something feels off in the movie. Something that hardcore fans can't quite wrap there head around.

We realize these films couldn't be more different but which do you prefer? Obviously everyone is different and will like a film for different reasons. There are no right or wrong answers. Just a little F13 fun. We'll see you guys later tting lake de with a fire burning and telling stories about the little boy that drowned years ago only to return as a hockey player.

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 5/13/2011 at 01:18 AM | 76023
I like the remake better because they combined 1,2,3 all in one, it had the f13 touch and the new jason was very cool.
hm4life Friday 5/13/2011 at 10:29 AM | 76121
The first part will always be near and dear to my heart. Maybe because I was at a much younger age then, and quite frankly...it scared the SHIT OUTTA ME!!! Don't get me wrong the reboot was decent, but still it's no comparison to the original.
Anonymous Friday 5/13/2011 at 03:14 PM | 76153
Original.

Like bnizzle said it scared the shit out of me.
immortaldeath24 Friday 5/13/2011 at 04:01 PM | 76159
As far as slasher movies go "Halloween" is the Godfather. But "Friday The 13th" is the ruthless hitman that took the family over and is still running it today. "Friday The 13th" set the standard for slasher movies for three decades and will continue to for decades to come. I will keep my opinions of the remake to myself.
Maynardtscuggs Friday 5/13/2011 at 06:31 PM | 76194
The OG all the way! its a clasc, trend setting, limb hacking slice of americana!

The only thing good about the remake was Derek Mears.
ny ghoul Friday 5/13/2011 at 07:52 PM | 76209
The original no doubt about it. The remake tried to do too much it didn't have to. Making Jason take a hostage and making him into a MacGyver was just moronic.
Pinhead Friday 1/13/2012 at 05:07 AM | 89392
I never liked the original first film. What I liked is the first 4 sequels. Jason Hero of the show, but not his mother. So I vote for a remake.
Jerry Blake Friday 1/13/2012 at 07:33 AM | 89395
the original wins in regards to nostalgia; but the reboot was better assembled, and generally a bit more fun.
Matt_Molgaard Friday 1/13/2012 at 02:05 PM | 89407
remake = garbage

just because Jason isn't in the original you think it sucks? lmao

if there was no original there would be no Jason

Original over the crappy Michael Bay travesty any day of the week
Johnny Bisco Sunday 1/15/2012 at 10:56 AM | 89489
I'm still a big sucker for the original Friday the 13th. It has the campground feeling, is mple and very effective. The score is clasc and creeped me out so much, that I kept switching the channel. Betsy Palmer and Adrienne King were memorable characters and both very likable..( for different reasons hahaha) Also the way it was filmed, the locations...I still hope to vit Blairstown NJ one day.

As for the reboot..it was a bit dissapointing, knowing Mrs. Voorhees part on the movie was close to nothing. If they were trying to remake the original, then why not split the movie up, so we can have more Mrs. V, and have Jason get his goods for the second part of the movie... although I did enjoy the reboot, I missed a freeky score and the Jason-sound was heard about 3 times throughout the whole movie. Derek did a great job as Jason...that character was worked out very well. Most kills were cool, but it still missed the great stalk moments, like we've seen in the first 3 movies. Overall it's not a bad movie, but it shouldn't be called Friday the 13th...get some number behind the titles..always loved that
UberJason78 Saturday 7/14/2012 at 01:22 PM | 94752
I am going with the remake, yeah a hostage tuation is way better than a mother sticking up for her retarded ass son. That's not my real argument I just thought of that when I read the above comment and thought it was funny. But honestly the original is better. Remake was pretty good for a clasc movie getting redone though.
Skyler2Dope Saturday 7/14/2012 at 03:28 PM | 94754
I prefer the original. I generally do not like remakes nce they tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth and rarely compare to the original. Most remakes do not have the same "stay with you" impact that the originals have, on me anyway. The original Friday the 13th was a trendsetter that combined the horror, mystery and thriller genres together perfectly. The remake was a ho-hum horror film that entertained but I almost immediately forgot about it once it was over with.
ZombieKitten Saturday 7/14/2012 at 08:42 PM | 94759
I prefer the remake over the original infact the remake is one of my fave fridays along with pt2,4
darkbladeclan Saturday 7/14/2012 at 10:38 PM | 94775
They're both very mediocre.
interestingstuff Wednesday 7/18/2012 at 06:38 AM | 94888