Forums Off Topic
Lower the National Speed limit to Save Gas?!?!?!?!!?!

Please tell me this WON'T HAPPEN. AOL was reporting about one of the ways U.S. congress is condering to help save gas is to enforce a National Speed limit that would optimum gasoline efficiency given current technology.

This is suppose to save us gas and lower gas prices.

They say that the National Speed limit would be LOWER than what it currently is.

I'm a big commuter.

I live in southern Indiana about 9 miles from Kentucky yet my Job is in Northern Indiana and It's about 6 miles from Michigan.

When the Speed limit was 65 mph it would take me roughly 5 hours ( I do this drive every month) but now nce they have finally raised the limit to 70 I can do it in 4 hours and 15-20 minutes.You might say, it's only 40 minutes?

Or you might say, faster speed limits lead to more dangerous car accidents

. .. . all this I won't deny.

However,

I do also travel to the East Coast a lot (and when I'm not flying) I can save up to an hour and half on that drive with the speed limit increased 5 miles more per hour.

For more local driving this speed decrease wouldn't bother me but on interstates . . . I have Beef with this idea of lower the speed limit . .. . .

I'm starting to really like Bisco's idea . .. just charge them the same for the resources they buy from us that we pay for oil.

Sorry to complain but this will REALLY effect me so I thought I'd throw it out there

DaShape Friday 7/04/2008 at 05:45 PM | 15208
well it seems to me to be a good idea and let me tell you why

when the limit was 55 to 65 everyone drove 70 to 75

with it being 70 everyone in these large ass gas guzlling SUVs drive 80 so if the limit gets dropped to 60 everyone is going to drive 70, you still get to go as fast as you want and lots of law breakers will stop ung so much fuel!

if that fails like i said 150 for oil, 150 for a bushel of wheat and we starve their asses!
Johnny Bisco Friday 7/04/2008 at 05:54 PM | 15211

with it being 70 everyone in these large ass gas guzlling SUVs drive 80 so if the limit gets dropped to 60 everyone is going to drive 70, you still get to go as fast as you want and lots of law breakers will stop ung so much fuel!

if that fails like i said 150 for oil, 150 for a bushel of wheat and we starve their asses

Better idea LOL, stop selling SUV's
DaShape Friday 7/04/2008 at 05:55 PM | 15212
Sorry to complain but this will REALLY effect me so I thought I'd throw it out there http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c84/lblambert/Heads/haha.

(sorry man...I couldn't rest)
lblambert Friday 7/04/2008 at 05:56 PM | 15213

if that fails like i said 150 for oil, 150 for a bushel of wheat and we starve their asses

Better idea LOL, stop selling SUV's ive been saying that for years, i saw this coming probably 9 years ago, a buddy of mine works for the chrysler dealership and they have more people trading in SUVs than buying them, they have a ton oif used ones they cant sell and i say its about time!oh ya and one more thing...................................................

HEY OPEC, Exxon, Mobil and SUV driver who drive 90 fucking miles an hour, this is for you

Johnny Bisco Friday 7/04/2008 at 06:00 PM | 15216
YOU TELL'EM MA!!!
Harry Warden Friday 7/04/2008 at 06:07 PM | 15219
YOU TELL'EM MA would you SHUT THE FUCK UP???? now eat your slop!
Johnny Bisco Friday 7/04/2008 at 06:08 PM | 15220

Better idea LOL, stop selling SUV's ive been saying that for years, i saw this coming probably 9 years ago, a buddy of mine works for the chrysler dealership and they have more people trading in SUVs than buying them, they have a ton oif used ones they cant sell and i say its about time!oh ya and one more thing...................................................

HEY OPEC, Exxon, Mobil and SUV driver who drive 90 fucking miles an hour, this is for you

DaShape Friday 7/04/2008 at 06:11 PM | 15222
While that would work it is just not going to happen as far as lowering the speed limit. With cars being so well built today it is too easy to be doing 70 and not realize it. With the sound proofing and engine noise reduction of cars today doing a steady 55 feels like your crawling.

While it is going to take a ton of steps to reduce our thirst for gas one good solution would be to implement a mandatory MPG on all consumer vehicles. The auto makers would have to comply to this and gone would be the days of driving a Ford Excuron from point A to point B.

It isn't a perfect answer but it would help and at the end of the day the less gas we all use the less pain we will feel at the pump.

Long term goal would be to start drilling off shore (my opinion), alternative fuels (not corn dambasses we have to eat it) higher MPG on vehicles, build some freaking refining plants sometime this decade and electric hybrid motors (why aren't all cars hybrids????)

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 7/04/2008 at 06:36 PM | 15230
While that would work it is just not going to happen as far as lowering the speed limit. With cars being so well built today it is too easy to be doing 70 and not realize it. With the sound proofing and engine noise reduction of cars today doing a steady 55 feels like your crawling.

While it is going to take a ton of steps to reduce our thirst for gas one good solution would be to implement a mandatory MPG on all consumer vehicles. The auto makers would have to comply to this and gone would be the days of driving a Ford Excuron from point A to point B.

It is a perfect answer but it would help and at the end of the day the less gas we all use the less pain we will feel at the pump.

Long term goal would be to start drilling off shore (my opinion), alternative fuels (not corn dambasses we half to eat it) high MPG, build some freaking refining plants sometime this decade and electric hybrid motors (why aren't all cars hybrids????)

run for predent why dont you?
Johnny Bisco Friday 7/04/2008 at 06:39 PM | 15231
BooMan '08 I can see it now. Fat HorrorBid guy that looks a little like Uncle Fester runs for predent. Think of the support I could garner....
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 7/04/2008 at 07:06 PM | 15232
BooMan '08 I can see it now. Fat HorrorBid guy that looks a little like Uncle Fester runs for predent. Think of the support I could garner....

You'd have my full support bro. I can see your campaign slogan now..."Swarens 08 - Hey it's not like I could do any worse than the last guy"
lblambert Friday 7/04/2008 at 08:21 PM | 15237

Better idea LOL, stop selling SUV's

I guess you don't realize that most SUVs now are 6 cylinder...and get up to 28 MPG...they get better mileage that most luxury cars do...including mustangs...

AND I CAN'T DRIVE FUCKING 55!!!

WANT TO FIX GAS PRICES??? VOTE TO REPEAL THE LOOPHOLE THAT ALLOWS STOCK SPECULATORS TO ARTIFICIALLY RAISE THE SPECULATED PRICE OF OIL!!! That is what is caung gas to go higher and higher....not a shortage...our idiot predent doesn't help either. AND AS LONG AS I HAVE A RADAR DETECTOR AND I'M PAYING FOR MY GAS....THE SPEED LIMIT IS 90...NO MATTER WHICH HIGHWAY I'M ON.
HorrorSanctum Saturday 7/05/2008 at 05:07 AM | 15291
the loophole you speak of lets the cock smoking speculators buy into futures without having to put up a substantial amount of their own money against itif they had to they might back off a bit
Johnny Bisco Saturday 7/05/2008 at 05:10 AM | 15292
the loophole you speak of lets the cock smoking speculators buy into futures without having to put up a substantial amount of their own money against itif they had to they might back off a bit EXACTLY BISCO!!!
HorrorSanctum Saturday 7/05/2008 at 05:11 AM | 15293
Yeah, that's a great idea, lower the national speed limit.

Hey, if that doesn't work, maybe we should just outlaw all internal combustion engines and ride bicycles to work, if we still have jobs that is!

Seriously, don't worry about actually dealing with any of our current problems, just throw another band-aid on it and bury your heads back in the sand.

I swear, it sure would be great to have some pride in our Government again.
gummi Saturday 7/05/2008 at 07:50 AM | 15303