Forums Horror Movie Talk
Do You Consider Re-Watching The Remakes More Of A Chore?

Is it me or does it seem like the remakes just don't have that re-watching potential?

I recently watched the original Halloween the other day for the 4 millionth time, and it got me thinking.

I really can't say that about the remakes.

I have never watched a remake more than twice.

I recorded the Nightmare On Elm Street remake a few days back (on HBO, I believe) and I still haven't watched it.

I came across it on my DVR while cleaning it out and debated on whether or not to delete it.

For some reason it seems like a chore to watch it again for the third time, whereas I could pop in the original in any day of the week.

Could it be the fact I grew up watching the original (as a matter of fact, Nightmare 1 was actually the first movie I ever remember seeing)?

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all

of the remakes.

I thought The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was pretty damn good, and Friday The 13th was okay.

I thought Rob Zombie did an awesome job with Halloween.

Part 2 is another story for another day.

One of the many problems with the Nightmare remake (posbly the MAIN problem) is that Robert Englund is not Freddy.

Maybe that's more of an excuse than a problem, whatever.

I don't know.

I thought I would share this.

What do you guys think?
blakenorwood Friday 5/27/2011 at 10:02 AM | 76879
I have never been a big fan of movie remakes, I think it's due to the fact that I already know the base story line and the ending.

I do watch them, but only to check out the acting and special effects.

I can honestly say, there has never been a remake that got me excited enough to go to a theater to watch it, I'll wait for the DVD.
The Chosen One Friday 5/27/2011 at 10:46 AM | 76882
There have been a few remakes that i watched more then once, mainly because I was flipped the channels and it was on TV.
Anonymous Sunday 5/29/2011 at 04:47 PM | 76939
I do watch it based on how much I like them. I did enjoy almost every remake except for one and that was the stepfather. but that is why I buy them.
hm4life Sunday 5/29/2011 at 06:13 PM | 76941
I think a lot of it has to do with growing up with them. I liked a lot of remakes ( Texas Chainsaw,Halloween,Dawn of the Dead) but still watch the clascs more because they are a part of who I am at this point.
Ryn Monday 5/30/2011 at 12:55 AM | 76950
I have to agree for the most part. I own the Friday remake but I think I've only watched it once (good thing it was in a bundle). Didn't care for the NOES remake, Halloween remake was pretty good but I'd rather watch the original. The only remakes that I actually really like are TCM and The Thing.
Sephit Monday 5/30/2011 at 03:20 AM | 76955
For me, it's more to see how they update the story. I liked the NOES remake because of the little things, the micronaps and the bedroom death scene (to me, it was gorier than the original), thought they could have picked a better Nancy. I love the House of Wax remake, mainly because it isn't a carbon copy remake. It's a loose remake and it's actually not bad. I am probably the only person who likes The Fog remake, for the main reason they provided a backstory, the one thing I thought the original was misng. I guess to each their own. I will go see a remake, mainly to see how they update the movie, if they can.
Ryze Monday 5/30/2011 at 10:56 PM | 76971
I own almost all of the originals of each series, and I keep the remakes right next to them in their places. I like a lot of the remakes, in fact I can't think of too many that I didn't like to at least some extent. Hills Have Eyes, I can't go back to the original after that one it was too damn epic. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, stepping out on a limb but I think it puts the original to shame. Friday the 13th, felt like the first Jason movie that truly deserved him. The new Nightmare I'm a bit torn on. They could have an epic and tragic storyline that could make for a very short, extremely dark and brilliant retake on the series. Whether they'll see it through like the way I would... I doubt it although they left some very nice seeming foreshadowing that could bacally wrap up the story with Nancy has to die in order for Krueger to finally stop. I would love that to death. Now I can't wait for them to tear through the red tape and dust off Chucky. They have the technology to make him a truly frightening character now, I think they better do it.
ironblade87 Monday 6/06/2011 at 08:21 AM | 77168
I will never watch the PSYCHO remake again, Texas Chainsaw was really good, Nightmare was okay (I liked that Freddy became scary again, and that the new guy took the role seriously), RZ's Halloween is barely watchable, Friday the 13th was great (best in the series), and Carpenter's THE THING is just plain awesome.
Kidtut Friday 7/08/2011 at 12:49 AM | 78141
I think a lot of it has to do with growing up with them. I liked a lot of remakes ( Texas Chainsaw,Halloween,Dawn of the Dead) but still watch the clascs more because they are a part of who I am at this point.

Agreed.

I couldn't have said it any better.

By the way, that NOES remake is still waiting on the DVR
blakenorwood Friday 7/08/2011 at 03:14 AM | 78146
I have a problem watching most remakes.

As someone else noted, the originals have become a part of my psyche.

Still, some remakes are different enough from the original that they escape close comparisons and achieve a life of their own. For me, this includes: The Thing, The Fly, Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, and The Crazies.

Rob Zombie's Halloween almost made this first group for me.

Almost.Some remakes mply try to relive the glory of the original and do not provide enough distance from the oftentimes superior source material.

For me, this includes: Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, My Bloody Valentine, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Fog, Black Christmas, The Omen, and I Spit on Your Grave.

Some of these remakes I have actually watched on fast forward after the first couple of scenes failed to grab me.

Having seen the originals, I knew where they were going anyway. I would probably watch the remake for The Last House on the Left before I watch the original again nce it always leaves me feeling dirty.
babyfivetongues Friday 7/08/2011 at 03:28 AM | 78148
I like 60% agree with you on remakes but it all just depends on which ones you watch, like yea the slasher remakes are hard to watch sometimes, like Nightmare on elm street, 2 reasons that sucked was yea no Robert Englund and Freddy didnt say "Your in my world now Bitch!" i mean come on thats Freddies line, its just Like John McLain saying Yippie Ky Yay Mother F**ker in Die Hard, its pat of the movie. Friday the 13th was a bad ass remake especially nce the skipped the first one I went right in the the second one when Jason takes over for his mom, also what I really loved about it was the fact that Michael Bay did without the regular stereotypes u see in horror slashers, with the black guy dieing first the busty blonde killing off the killer, the nerd dieing in a heroic way while saving the girl he secretly loves, the VIRGIN even died i loved that haha, and the way the built up the suspense and added comic relief with the way Jason found his mask, freakin Perfect :).

Now for the remake to Piranha, i seriously watch this movie like once a week nce ive gotten it on Blu ray, mainly that it takes place in lake Havasu where im from but thats just extra lol. its a remake i can honestly say was a major improvement to the original, it has everything a Horror movie should have and nothing extra, its got Partying, awesome muc, Hot People, Lots of nudity, random cameos, lots and lots of blood and gore, and just the right amount of corny lines/dialog, and the 3D was actually pretty good for the fact that its a horror movie lol.

Now Black Chritsmas, another really awesome remake, not as good as the original, but still a hell of a good movie to watch, especially if your like me and love to watch horror movies on Christmas than you cant go wrong with this one. Dawn of the Dead also an EXTREMELY well done remake, should make ever zombie lover happy, and Day of the Dead was really good for the people that did see it haha. Sorority Row, I personally thought it was a lot better than the original, most people didnt like it, its whatever. My Bloody Valentine, it was an alright remake, I loved the original, but this one was definatly not was good as the original.
flick_man Friday 7/08/2011 at 07:20 PM | 78170
I like 60% agree with you on remakes but it all just depends on which ones you watch, like yea the slasher remakes are hard to watch sometimes, like Nightmare on elm street, 2 reasons that sucked was yea no Robert Englund and Freddy didnt say "Your in my world now Bitch!" i mean come on thats Freddies line, its just Like John McLain saying Yippie Ky Yay Mother F**ker in Die Hard, its pat of the movie. Friday the 13th was a bad ass remake especially nce the skipped the first one I went right in the the second one when Jason takes over for his mom, also what I really loved about it was the fact that Michael Bay did without the regular stereotypes u see in horror slashers, with the black guy dieing first the busty blonde killing off the killer, the nerd dieing in a heroic way while saving the girl he secretly loves, the VIRGIN even died i loved that haha, and the way the built up the suspense and added comic relief with the way Jason found his mask, freakin Perfect :).

Now for the remake to Piranha, i seriously watch this movie like once a week nce ive gotten it on Blu ray, mainly that it takes place in lake Havasu where im from but thats just extra lol. its a remake i can honestly say was a major improvement to the original, it has everything a Horror movie should have and nothing extra, its got Partying, awesome muc, Hot People, Lots of nudity, random cameos, lots and lots of blood and gore, and just the right amount of corny lines/dialog, and the 3D was actually pretty good for the fact that its a horror movie lol.

Now Black Chritsmas, another really awesome remake, not as good as the original, but still a hell of a good movie to watch, especially if your like me and love to watch horror movies on Christmas than you cant go wrong with this one. Dawn of the Dead also an EXTREMELY well done remake, should make ever zombie lover happy, and Day of the Dead was really good for the people that did see it haha. Sorority Row, I personally thought it was a lot better than the original, most people didnt like it, its whatever. My Bloody Valentine, it was an alright remake, I loved the original, but this one was definatly not was good as the original.

Haha and i defiantly agree with on the Last House on the Left, the original does make you feel awkward after u watch it lol
flick_man Friday 7/08/2011 at 07:28 PM | 78172
I forgot about Piranha.

I really liked the "remake."

I think it falls into the first group that I listed.

It did not borrow much from the original.

Definitely was its own beast.

It is a lot of fun.
babyfivetongues Tuesday 7/12/2011 at 03:03 AM | 78292
only re makes i re watch really are texas chainsaw ones, i love both those films, actually think they are both really

good.
weebizkit Tuesday 7/12/2011 at 11:46 PM | 78424