Forums Horror Movie Talk
Saddest Ending In A Horror Movie?

There has been many different discusons here on HorrorBid ranging from a variety of topics such as; "Who is your favorite horror icon?", "What's your favorite scary movie of all time?", "What's your favorite death scene ever?" and tons of other subjects along those same lines. But there is one question, which is rather thought provoking, that has never been brought to this table, until now.What is the saddest ending that you have seen in a horror movie?

Here are a few of my own personal sad denouments:

1. FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED - Where poor Maria (played by Veronica Carlson) gets scalpeled in the stomach by the ruthless Baron Frankenstein.

2. EDEN LAKE - Where the poor heroine ends up being trapped in the bathroom as the yob families converge on her

3. THE WICKER MAN - Where Ed Woodward's policeman characted gets roasted alive in that huge wicker man.

4. THE WOLFMAN (1941) - Where poor Lawrence Talbot is tragically and erroneously bludgeoned to death by his father.

5. DRAG ME TO HELL - Where the heroine is given back the accursed envelope that sends her on a one way ticket to hell.

Anybody think of any more lachrymose endings?
Trueghoststory Sunday 5/29/2011 at 01:10 PM | 76931
Interesting topic. One that I never thought about. I'll agree with you on Eden Lake. That ending mad me really feel for that chick. Don't Look Back, I guess you could say had a sad ending. Hmmmm... now you got me looking through my movies trying to find more...Ah ha...found one...Carrie. The ending was a schmorgesborg of emotion. We had horror, fear, triumph, and sadness all rapped up in one.
Anonymous Sunday 5/29/2011 at 01:26 PM | 76932
Pet Sematary, first when Gage was hit by the truck, then at the end when he has to be stopped.

Also nce I'm a cat lover, I really felt bad for Church.
The Chosen One Sunday 5/29/2011 at 09:18 PM | 76945
Pet Sematary and the saddest has to be The Mist. He kills everyone and his son to save them only for the army to show up directly after. Man that messed with my head.
Ryn Monday 5/30/2011 at 12:46 AM | 76949
Pet Sematary and the saddest has to be The Mist. He kills everyone and his son to save them only for the army to show up directly after. Man that messed with my head.

Yea...The Mist, I forgot about that one.

That ending was very hardcore and emotional.
The Chosen One Monday 5/30/2011 at 08:52 AM | 76956
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 Dream Warriors gets my vote, Nancy everyones favorite hero thinks she sees her dad before he passes on, but it`s really Freddy and gets stabbed in the stomach i believe, she does manage to help kill him but still dies. Kristen crying and holding her on saying please down leave followed that scene up with Nancy`s funeral. Pretty sad stuff if your a fan of Nancy
AJxSCREAMx87 Monday 5/30/2011 at 10:08 AM | 76957
It's not an ending to a horror movie, but i think the sadest moment ive seen was in the remake of halloween 2 when Sheriff Brackett finds Annie's body. The way it shows his memories of her as a little girl in home video format really gets me alot.
pantera11431 Monday 5/30/2011 at 06:35 PM | 76965
Pretty much all the original Universal horror films ended on a sad note, for those of us rooting for the monsters. others for me would be:

The Mist The DEvils Rejects Henry Martyrs
ny ghoul Tuesday 5/31/2011 at 12:01 AM | 76973
I just thought of the saddest of all time...at least to me. Peter Jackson's King Kong. Although it's not technically clasfied as a horror movie, however, the original from 1933 was. So that kinda counts. Right? Well, anyway, the ending to that gets me every time.
Anonymous Tuesday 5/31/2011 at 04:46 AM | 76982
I'd have to go with the ending of HUMAN CENTIPEDE where the one girl holds her dead friend's hand.
blackhalo Saturday 6/11/2011 at 03:06 AM | 77328
The Fly remake for me hands down. I cried like a mofo during that ending! The Mist is a close second though, good topic!
Disturbed_voices Saturday 6/11/2011 at 10:37 AM | 77336
There are two that come to mind. The first would have to be "Ben" from 1972. The bond between Danny and the rat, Ben, is so strong, that he will do anything to make sure that he doesn't die and that their friendship will last for ever despite the fact that Ben is a killer rat whom everyone wants to die. Lee Montgomery's great performance and Michael Jackson's song playing at the end just add to the sadness.

The other would have to be the 1976 veron of "King Kong." When King Kong falls off of the Empire State building at the end, you can see an expreson on his face which expresses a feeling of sadness, loss, failure, and disappointment at long Dwan. It is very sad to me.
Demonoid Phenomenon Saturday 6/11/2011 at 10:44 AM | 77337
For me, I would have to say seeing the people before they die in SAW 6 was pretty raw. Even thought this isn't an ending, I still added it because sad moments in horror films don't occur too often (nevertheless they still do). It was the only movie I saw in the series.

But one scene

I really remember was when William had to decide whether or not to kill the 20 year old guy or the mid- 50s lady.

They were in the Hanging Room trap and and he had to let one go, but both were emotionally torn and had to let the 20 year old guy go instead.

Amazing how raw a scene can get when you see two people pleading for life when only one person can have it.
jasondaman8 Saturday 6/11/2011 at 10:46 AM | 77338
Last House on the Left (1972)

The Parents kill the bad guys, but their daughter is still dead.....showing the sorrow and the pain of the humanity that revenge never fills.
Joseph Saturday 6/11/2011 at 12:35 PM | 77340
I think "American Werewolf In London" was one of the saddest for me. David..guilt ridden throughout most of the movie is gunned down in an dirty alley...and a foreign country..while his newly acquired and hot girlfriend watches....
TwitchyPDG Saturday 6/11/2011 at 12:46 PM | 77341
FROZEN. Parker survives and still believes that her boyfriend loved her but will never know that he was planning to dump her after that trip. Both deaths in the film are very sad moments.

It's not horror but Marley and Me made me cry like a baby.
Sephit Saturday 6/11/2011 at 08:36 PM | 77351
Last Man On Earth.

Hands down, has me sad just thinking about it.
BloodAndRibbons Saturday 6/11/2011 at 09:31 PM | 77359
When Bucky gets killed in Halloween 4

When Norman Bates gets thrown in the back of the cop car in PSYCHO III
d3M0n Sunday 6/12/2011 at 06:50 PM | 77376
Its not really a straight horror movie, but Repo! The Genetic Opera. The eneding is pretty sad. Especially when ur drunk
kizzle Monday 6/13/2011 at 05:35 PM | 77406
Eden Lake is a definite

I would add Ginger Snaps, Halloween II Unrated (2009), and probably The Devil's Rejects (I really love how Rob Zombie makes the horrible villians so sympathetic)
jarredah Monday 6/13/2011 at 06:42 PM | 77409
I cannot believe no one said this ending: Night of the Living Dead 1968!!!

Ben has been fighting the fleash eating gouls (they weren't pronouced zombies yet) for day in and day out and after finally hearing that help was right outde, BAM!!!

He's shot in the head like it didn't even matter what he did, no survivers, NOTHING!!!
Angellic/KillerChild Tuesday 6/14/2011 at 03:05 AM | 77440
I agree with a lot of these. And while it's not the END of a movie per say, and maybe more of a thriller(?)... I found lent Hill so sad when Laurie Holden's character Cybil Bennett was burnt to death on the stake. :'(
AMadSquirrel21 Wednesday 6/15/2011 at 10:34 PM | 77487
What about the ending to INDE? That was a pretty sad ending.
Sephit Thursday 6/16/2011 at 12:34 AM | 77492
The Parents kill the bad guys, but their daughter is still dead. It is sadDiablo 3 Items
jacket250 Thursday 6/16/2011 at 01:28 AM | 77495
The Parents kill the bad guys, but their daughter is still dead. It is sad

What ending is this? Are you talking about the original Last house? That movie came to my mind as well although I think it's sad point is earlier on in the film, powerful film. For me it rivals if not beats the realistic feel of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Sephit Thursday 6/16/2011 at 02:12 AM | 77502
Does Pans Labyrnth count?
Bullet31 Saturday 6/18/2011 at 04:23 AM | 77556
Alright, I think the Saddest ending would have to hands down be Ginger Snaps. I've seen it a million times, and it is my favourite, but each time I find myself crying more and more. XD I know what's coming so I cry earlier. Abother sad ending is Night Of The Living Dead. Everyone else has died, so you're rooting fpr him, but then he dies. I've never actually cried in this one, but it always leaves me sad.
BinkaMinka Tuesday 6/21/2011 at 11:18 PM | 77627