Forums DVD & Blu-rays
JAWS Swimming To Blu-ray (Hopefully) Soon!

Our friends over at AICN got the EXCLUVE scoop that JAWS is heading to Blu-ray sooner rather than later courtesy of an interview with STEVEN SPIELBERG. The film celebrates it's 36th anniversary on June 20th. No date has been set, but the process has begun and the real interesting part is what he has to say about his approach to “digital corrections.”

Read On For More Of AICN'S interview...

Quint: Is there a Jaws Blu-Ray in the works?

Steven Spielberg: Yes, there is. Yes, there is. I’ve already seen some of it. I don’t have a date yet, but there’s a Blu-Ray absolutely in the works.

Quint: I can’t wait, man. I love that the last DVD release actually had the original mono soundtrack on it as well. I wasn’t a fan of the remixed 5.1 sound… the splashing sounded canned…

Steven Spielberg: Oh, I know. I totally understand that. (In the future) there’s going to be no more digital enhancements or digital additions to anything based on any film I direct. I’m not going to do any corrections digitally to even wires that show.

If 1941 comes on Blu-Ray I’m not going to go back and take the wires out because the Blu-Ray will bring the wires out that are guiding the airplane down Hollywood Blvd. At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history.

Quint: I’m in total agreement with you. I wish you could talk George (Lucas) into doing the same thing

Steven Spielberg: Well, I can’t

Quint: (laughs) Yeah, I don’t think anybody can

Steven Spielberg: George goes his own way and I respect him for it, but my new philosophy on this is to let sleeping dogs lie.

Quint: That’s great news for film lovers.

Steven Spielberg: When people ask me which E.T. they should look at, I always tell them to look at the original 1982 E.T. If you notice, when we did put out E.T. we put out two E.T.s. We put out the digitally enhanced veron with the additional scenes and for no extra money, in the same package, we put out the original ‘82 veron. I always tell people to go back to the ’82 veron.

Quint: Having the option is the big deal for me. Ung the Star Wars example, I don’t think there’d be an outcry if we could watch a nice transfer of the original verons. We’d be like, “George can do what he wants and I’ll watch it… but you know maybe the fans would like the option of watching the movie they fell in love with, too.”

Steven Spielberg: Yeah. And I think the other good thing is that they understand when they see a movie and they suddenly see something that obviously could have been done much better today and could have been corrected in the DVD/Blu-Ray transfer, they really appreciate seeing the strings attached.

If somebody put out George Pal’s War of the Worlds and took the strings off the machines I’d be very upset. When that machine crashes in downtown Hollywood, and you see the strings going from taut to slack, that’s the thing that allows me to both understand this movie is scaring the hell out of me and at the same time this movie is a creation of the human race.

That little taut-to-slack moment of those wires on that wingtip makes the original George Pal War of the Worlds work for me. It embraces my fears and it also alleviates them in the same breath.

Is that not muc to your ears? It is to mine. No CGI sharked-up Jaws: SE on the horizon makes me incredibly happy for exactly the reasons Spielberg himself mentioned.

To be clear, I didn't interpret his statement to mean that the movie won't be restored to Blu-Ray quality, just that he's not adding in CGI fixes. I'm a masve fan of digital restoration (look at the Alien and Aliens Blu-Rays), I just don't like it when directors retroactively go in and fix something that ain't broke.

Don’t expect a commentary track on the upcoming Jaws Blu-ray, though, Spielberg hasn’t done one yet and told me he doesn’t like them.

LoomisLives2010 Saturday 6/04/2011 at 04:27 AM | 77105