Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's Top 10 'Horror Movie' Masks

Any top 10 list you create, no matter what the subject, is always met with a few different but milar reactions. "What the hell are you guys thinking?" And "That list sucks, why didn't "blank" make the cut you idiots?" The word blank is usually replaced with a billion things that we should have included but didn't. So knowing this is a no win tuation going in, why create these lists in the first place you ask? The mple answer. Disagreeing with people is fun....

There are so many things to love about horror, but one of the best by far is the kick ass masks that our favorite villains don when they're ready to get down to some serious killing. Not that a human face can't be scary. Hannibal Lecter is the most obvious example of how that's not true.

Still, there's something terrifying in the cold, inhuman stare of the right face cover. Whether it's a modified William Shatner mask, or just one of the best pieces of sports equipment of all time, masks have a unique ability to brand a killer and send chills down our collective spines.

So let's all get down with these identity covers, and if you've got a winner that I missed then spit bullets and let us all know what you love!

So with that intro behind us now we get down to brass tacks. We are giving you a list of the top 10 horror masks in film history. So get those belts buckled because no matter how we do this we are almost 100% potive you are going to disagree with at least a few...no a lot of our picks.

10. Hunting Mask, PREDATOR Any mask that has a laser ght on it is very alright in my book. And let's be honest, the Predator looks a lot more badass wearing that sucker. Those beady eyes they've got are a little lly. Not that I'd tell one that in person. I also dig the fact that you've essentially got a monster wearing a mask, which is a nice literal twist on the metaphorical usual.

9. Halloween Masks Skull, Pumpkin, Witch HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH Generally I find that this entry in the Halloween series is neither as bad as its detractors claim, nor as good as its 5 or 6 supporters would like to believe. It's a fairly disposable little horror tale that is lifted above its actual merits by the ridiculously awesome gore in it. Gore that is a direct result of some of the most thoroughly f*cked up masks ever to hit a toy store shelf. So say what you will about the movie, the masks are amazing.

8. The 3 Killer Masks, THE STRANGERS In an age where I am literally densatized to most horror movies The Strangers jumped up and bit me. I wasn't expecting the tense moments to have the effect on me that they did. And to top it off even more they gave us those damn creepy masks. It's one thing to break into someones house for no reason and killing them but wear a ski mask or something. The little porcelain doll faces and the hood with the mouth drawn on, forget about it. Just creepy!

7. ChromeSkull, LAID TO REST This movie is a roller coaster of murdering gruesomeness and Chrome Skull is one badass killer. Some critics tore this film to shreds but after getting a chance to watch it, it is one of those rare gems I won't soon forget. On top of that the mask that Chrome Skull wears may just be one of the most wicked looking masks out there.

6. Skin Mask, LEATEHRFACE FROM THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE More flat out revolting than frightening, take a moment to really think about running around, and thus sweating heavily, in a mask made out of various other people's skin. Ugh. The mask loses some of its power because there's so much focus on the chainsaw in the imagery of the tale, but still, not a bad entry in the genre cannon and it's Leatherface for Christ sakes!

5. Dr. Decker Button Mask, NIGHTBREED Here are a few things I know about the Button Mask. It makes no sense for one. How do you see out of the damn thing. Two, it's got David Cronenberg in there, which makes the mask infinitely scarier. And finally, for a busted up thrift store piece of wardrobe it sure is an effective nightmare inducing cover up. It must tap into some Jungian archetype or something, 'cause as soon as that sucker goes on, my balls shrivel right up.

4. Leslie Vernon Mask, BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON One of the coolest of the "new breed" masks, a lot of what makes Vernon's cover work is the fact that he's such a charming and charismatic guy throughout most of the movie, that when the mask goes down and he gets to work it's deadly serious and surpringly scary.

3. Ghostface Mask, SCREAM Let's be honest, you guys aren't going to be surprised at what the number 1 and 2 masks are on this list. They're just too obvious and there's no point in being stupid about trying to mix things up. nce those two hit, though, Wes Craven has given us the only new iconic mask nce. You still see Ghostface all over the place as soon as Halloween comes knocking, and it immediately takes you back to watching those movies. The how's of picking a genius horror mask are nebulous, but the effect is immediate.

2. 1975 Don Post William Shanter Mask, MICHAEL MYERS FROM HALLOWEEN For those who are about to disagree with me here, I'll give you the knowledge that HorrorBid is on you de in the feeling that Myers should have probably been numero uno. And it is a great freaking mask. Who would have thought without Bill Shatner the world of horror may be a different landscape and the slasher genre may have never existed. Not only is this a perfect example of a cold, emotionless head piece, but you also have to give up the fact that when Myers suddenly ts up behind Laurie, the mask just popping in the background, you've got yourself one of the best scenes in genre history.1. Hockey Mask, FRIDAY THE 13TH I'll go on record and say that I think Halloween is a slightly better series than F13, and the hockey mask is hindered by the fact it doesn't even appear until the third movie in the series. Nevertheless, for pure badass badassery I can't think of any ght that would make by blood drop straight out of my body faster than walking through the woods and seeing that mask. A happy accident that the crew were hockey fans led to a perfect summation of the brutal, unstoppable killing machine that is Jason Voorhees.

On top of all that the hockey is as much known for horror as it is hockey, a feat that if you think about it, is truly remarkable and the mple reason it edged out Myers for the #1 spot. To 99% of the public no matter what mask you're wearing, whether it be a Michael Myers mask or Michael Jackson mask most people will say "hey look it's Jason!". Try it this Halloween and you'll understand what we mean.

And that wraps up our top 10 list....now let the outrage begin! Please feel free to add and take away from the list to create your own ultimate horror mask list. :-)
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 6/09/2011 at 06:53 AM | 77272
I pretty much agree I just think Chromeskulls mask is cooler than Leslie Vernons.
DoubleshotJ Thursday 6/09/2011 at 07:51 AM | 77277
While I agree with most of the choices and bedes the fact that Myers would def be numero uno for me. I really think that although most like the original TCM better, the mask from the Remake is far superior looks wise and detail.
Sephit Thursday 6/09/2011 at 08:05 AM | 77278
First of all, thanks for putting Leslie on there. I absolutely love that movie. When I started reading this list I was expecting Michael to be number one, but once I got to thinking about Jason in the top spot it made sense. Think about it, what does any movie/show/story do to make their character act like a murderous psycho? They put on a hockey mask. Just a few instances that come to mind are The mpsons and even the Good Luck Charlie ( a Disney Channel show) I saw last night did it. The weapon varies from axe to knife to chainsaw, but the mask is always the same...a hockey mask. So, after thinking about it, I couldn't agree more with the number one spot.
Ed Reilly Thursday 6/09/2011 at 01:28 PM | 77280
i agree with most of the list but i think michael myers is number one sure people get confused with them and its a mple mistake there very much alike when it come to body movement but to me the white 75 kirk mask just is much more scary then a hocky mask in my eyes that is
heartlessangel Thursday 6/09/2011 at 03:21 PM | 77283
remove chrome skull and put in Baby Face from The Hills Run Red

Stilesp1985 Thursday 6/09/2011 at 03:25 PM | 77284
Baby was one badass mask for sure but Chrome deserves his place on the list. If anything I'd say two axes to get would be the strangers and halloween 3 or ghostface. I'll go ahead and gn up for an asswhoopin here but personally the Collector deserves a spot as well. Tunnicliffe knows how to really make something hellacious even for a less than stellar flick.
ironblade87 Thursday 6/09/2011 at 06:48 PM | 77286
Baby was one badass mask for sure but Chrome deserves his place on the list. If anything I'd say two axes to get would be the strangers and halloween 3 or ghostface. I'll go ahead and gn up for an asswhoopin here but personally the Collector deserves a spot as well. Tunnicliffe knows how to really make something hellacious even for a less than stellar flick.

I agree with you whole heartedly man, I would take off the Halloween 3 masks or Strangers masks because although they are kinda cool, they don't look very hard to make and aren't on the level of uniqueness that The Collector mask is on.

I thought the film was pretty bad ass as well.
Sephit Thursday 6/09/2011 at 10:41 PM | 77291
yes the collector mask was hard
Stilesp1985 Thursday 6/09/2011 at 10:54 PM | 77293
there would be no jason with out myers and his mask!
Bullet31 Friday 6/10/2011 at 01:09 AM | 77294
Good list.

I have to disagree with the Leslie Vernon mask.

Great movie, ridiculous looking mask.

Also, I'd without a doubt put Michael Myers at number one.

No love for My Bloody Valentine?
gummi Friday 6/10/2011 at 02:21 AM | 77299
Good list.

I have to disagree with the Leslie Vernon mask.

Great movie, ridiculous looking mask.

Also, I'd without a doubt put Michael Myers at number one.

No love for My Bloody Valentine?

Good idea to add My Bloody Valentine's mask to the list but I have to agree with the Leslie Vernon Mask. Sure it isn't that scary at first but after the movie progresses and get's to that scene the still is from in this thread with the blood and mudd on it, I feel that the mask really comes to life! In fact I wish that ThePropShopte.com actually made a "Weathered" veron of the Leslie Vernon mask to replicate that very scene.
Sephit Friday 6/10/2011 at 03:31 AM | 77301
Yeah, a lot of people like the mask, but it just doesn't do it for me. I think it looks like a cross between Jay Leno and the critic from The Muppet Show.

gummi Friday 6/10/2011 at 03:56 AM | 77302
Yeah, a lot of people like the mask, but it just doesn't do it for me. I think it looks like a cross between Jay Leno and the critic from The Muppet Show.

Interesting, I get that but for some reason I think it's still kind of cool, not on the same level as the other masks on this list but better than the H3 mask and the Strangers masks.
Sephit Friday 6/10/2011 at 04:00 AM | 77303
Great list....I was trying to think of some to add but when you really step back and think about it, only a handful of Horror characters actually wear masks, the rest are dolls, or demons or monsters..

However, Michael Myers needs to be number one haha....also I'm glad The Collector mask was brought up, creepy!

Leslie Vernon's mask is demented looking, it deserves to be on the list!

The Strangers masks are great because they look homemade and store bought....that adds an element to them, almost like they didn't care what they wore, they are just psychos!
NightShape Friday 6/10/2011 at 05:49 AM | 77304
# 1 predator NUMBER

JASON LOL. can someone tell me please!!!!!! how do you

put a picture on your profile.
phlixfan13th Friday 6/10/2011 at 08:05 PM | 77318
I'm sorry but there is no way Myers takes second. His mask is the most unique and others have attempted to duplicate that look for years. It was mple but effective. Watch the Strangers and tell me that there wasn't Myers influence there? Seeing him standing outde the window wearing a "white" mask and then the next minute he's gone. Please....

Even Jason's look was a Halloween rip off at the time. I love Jason and his look through time has become iconic in it's own right, but come on, how can a character who's look was trying to duplicate the success of Halloween take the top spot?

joebizz34 Saturday 6/11/2011 at 07:18 PM | 77345
Im thinking Frank The Bunny from Donnie Darko, and Sackboy from Trick 'r Treat, are both pretty ck/creepy
JohnnyNightmare Saturday 6/11/2011 at 09:02 PM | 77356
That Baby Face mask is pretty badass, for sure.
Zer0.MediA Saturday 10/20/2012 at 11:40 AM | 97219
Awesome freaking list, Booman.. Love the Halloween 3 mention.. Its getting to be that time of year again..

Tomas from The Orphanage had a pretty creepy mask as well.
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 10/21/2012 at 08:05 PM | 97270
I'm sorry but there is no way Myers takes second. His mask is the most unique and others have attempted to duplicate that look for years. It was mple but effective. Watch the Strangers and tell me that there wasn't Myers influence there? Seeing him standing outde the window wearing a "white" mask and then the next minute he's gone. Please....

Even Jason's look was a Halloween rip off at the time. I love Jason and his look through time has become iconic in it's own right, but come on, how can a character who's look was trying to duplicate the success of Halloween take the top spot?

I agree with this, but at the end of the day it comes down to preference. I could see an argument for Jason..
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 10/21/2012 at 08:06 PM | 97271
Yeah I agree that Michael should be #1
zuzek1996 Sunday 10/21/2012 at 08:47 PM | 97274