Forums Horror Movie Reviews
SUPER 8 Wasn't Really Super At All- A Fan Review

I usually leave the reviews for my friend Dr.Phibes, but I just went to see Super 8 and thought I should get the word out about this myself. (However, if you get a chance to see this Kyle, I would love to hear your view on this.)

The long awaited alien/creature feature from J.J. Abrams has finally landed. Super 8 is a tale of four friends who want to make a zombie movie, but end up being in the center of a huge air force disaster, when a unknown creature escapes from a train wreck.

The movie was kept very "hush-hush," and no long trailer was released until one was finally aired at the MTV Movie Awards. The movie, for all its hype, did not blow me away. But that's not to say it wasn't a good film, I just felt that they hyped the movie up more than it needed to be.

Super 8 is a combination of scifi and drama, relying mostly on the drama part. The character development was very good, and you actually cared for the people that you were watching. The relatively unknown children were the glue that really held this film together. Had they not been there, it just might have killed the movie. The actions scenes that were present, were done very well. And the major train wreck was one of the best scenes that I've seen in awhile.

I felt that Super 8 fell short due to it's lack of "creature time." And there was a real vague explanation regarding the creatures. I also felt that the adult actors were very forgettable, and there weren't any particular performances that stood out for me.

This movie is very good if your in the mood for a drama, but if your looking for a cool sci-fi flick this isn't gonna be your cup of tea. I say wait on this one to come out on DVD, then rent it if you have a Dollar Movie kiosk nearby.

To me, it just didn't live up to the trailer or the hype. It felt so much more like a different movie than what was shown in the official trailer.

Stilesp1985 Friday 6/10/2011 at 07:05 PM | 77314
Sounds very milar to what I thought about Monsters
krsdacritter Saturday 6/11/2011 at 08:05 AM | 77334
Sounds very milar to what I thought about Monsters

yea it was milar (very,very milar). It just had kids added to the mix.

I felt tricked cause I was in the mood for a create movie and got this instead. this is not the 1st time J.J. has duped people. That whole Cloverfield debacle had me pissed, but this is better than cloverfield. Plus I forgave

J.J. after Star Trek came out.
Stilesp1985 Saturday 6/11/2011 at 03:18 PM | 77344
Sounds very milar to what I thought about Monsters Damn Monsters was seriously horrible! I really hope that Super 8 is at least better than that octopus movie.
Sephit Saturday 6/11/2011 at 08:25 PM | 77349
Shit! You got me scared now, Stiles, my man. I'll be seeingthis and reviewing soon. Art least now my expectations will be in check For the record, despite the admirable independent spirit shown in MONSTERS, I hated the goddam thing!
Dr Phibes Monday 6/13/2011 at 12:36 PM | 77397
Its a very good drama,but not a good scifi film. Monsters was okay,it held my interest, but was also very lacking on monsters till the last 5 min. for a monster horror rating

8 gets a C- Monsters gets a c+. the kids acting in 8 gets an A+ and the acting in Monsters gets a B regular.
Stilesp1985 Tuesday 6/14/2011 at 11:55 PM | 77461
Im hoping that maybe now I know its not a full on, Monster fest, I can relax and enjoy it for what it is. Been way strapped for cash this week but I'll get my ass to it asap.:)
Dr Phibes Wednesday 6/15/2011 at 08:16 AM | 77473
I

sad to hear that Super 8 kinda fell flat. I was hoping for something straight out of the 80s, maybe a nod to the great "Amazing Stories" or something close.

Im going to see it tomorrow with my boys who were STOKED...but they'll be let down by the lack of a sci-fi feel to the movie!
ny ghoul Wednesday 6/15/2011 at 01:44 PM | 77478
amazing stories, is my favorite, I wish it would have had that type of "feel" to it
Stilesp1985 Friday 6/17/2011 at 03:14 AM | 77537