Forums Horror Movie Talk
"Friday the 13th: Retribution" Writer Gives An Update

For the past two months I’ve been reporting about a horror fan, Patrick Dobson, who has taken it upon himself to write the next sequel in the beloved Friday the 13th franchise.

This all originated after becoming good friends with Adrienne King (Friday the 13th, 1980) and Amy Steel (Friday the 13th Part II).

Dobson eventually became the administrator for both of their Facebook pages.

After watching the His Name is Jason documentary and seeing interviews where both actresses, King and Steel, saying they’d love to come to the series Patrick put together a teaser poster and for laughs posted it on Facebook.

The poster was titled Friday the 13th: Retribution.

As they say…the rest was history.

The buzz around the poster was so hot and with Adrienne King playing along telling fans it was the real deal Patrick had no other choice but to write an actual script.

The idea for the script involves bringing King and Steel’s characters, Alice Hardy and Ginny Fields, back to Crystal Lake after all these years to go head-to-head with serial killer Jason Voorhees again.

Recently, on the official Facebook page for Friday the 13th: Retribution ( Photo: Amy Steel, Patrick Dobson and Adrienne King.

A little over a week the Monster-Mania 18 horror convention took place in Hunt Valley, Maryland.

A Return to Crystal Lake reunion took place where most of the cast and some of the crew from all of the Friday the 13th films came together to gn autographs and be a part of FAQ panels.

Patrick Dobson went there armed with his ideas for the next Friday the 13th film.

With the help of Adrienne King a dinner/meeting with Sean S. Cunningham, director of the original Friday the 13th, was set up.

Now that convention is over and Dobson is back home I thought it was the best time to find out a little more about him, what happened at Monster-Mania and where things stand as of now with the project.

Q:

I don’t think I asked this before, what is your favorite Friday the 13th movie and why? A:

Wow.

First question and I could talk all day about my answer.

I’ll try to sum it up as best as I can.

My favorite Friday movie depends on my mood.

There are parts I love in all the movies and parts I just don’t like or understand.

Some movies you can watch back to back (part 1 and 2 or part 3 and 4) and some you just need to watch them by themselves (part 5).

With that being said what I like more about the Friday the 13th movies is the story.

The Curse on Crystal Lake has been over shadowed by the popularity of the Jason Voorhees character.

Q:

In horror, who do you look up to when tting down to write parts of the script? A:

This is a hard question to answer.

I’m not really a writer.

I’m a photographer with scenes of a story planted in my head.

I have lots or role models from the horror genre that I draw from.

Poe would be the first on my list.

To me and many others he started it all.

Next would be Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Vincent Price.

They are my childhood.

I grew up on them and they fed my love of monster movies.

Hitchcock was an influence on the way I want my movie to be, lots of tricks with potive and negative space.

Last but not least Sean Cunningham – without him I wouldn’t be even trying to write this script.

He started it all for me.

Q:

Before all of this started up, what was your impreson of Sean S. Cunningham?

Who was he to you? A:

I never really had an impreson of Sean. I try to keep an open mind of people till I meet them.

This way, you won’t be disappointed if they are not who you thought they were.

I did finally meet him recently at Monster-Mania.

It was a dream come true.

He was beyond nice and welcoming. To me, he will always be the man who created “The Curse on Crystal Lake.”

Photo: Sean S. Cunningham and Patrick Dobson

Q:

We haven’t really talked a lot about Jeff “Wickedbeard” Cochran too much.

Adrienne King in an interview said that she hoped that Kane Hodder would play Jason.

If Kane was to play Jason, what would Wickedbeard’s role or participation be in this film?

It seems that he has such an understanding of this character and the movie that he has to be in there somewhere. A:

If that happened and Kane was to play Jason, Jeff would still be involved in the movie one way or another.

Jeff is a close friend and playing Jason is his dream.

He has this great understanding of the character.

That’s what makes him stand out from the other fans who dress as Jason.

You could put them all in a lineup and you could always pick out Wickedbeard from the others.

He goes through this transformation when he gets into costume.

He is no longer Jeff Cochran.

He is Jason Voorhees.

If I can help him accomplish that dream I’m all for it.

Photo: Patrick Dobson, Wickedbeard as Jason from Friday the 13th 2 and Amy Steel

Jeff “Wickedbeard” Cochran’s official Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Adrien ... 1090815682).

We finally met a week ago for the first time.

We have talked many times on the phone in the past year.

We both feel that we have known each other for years though.

We can talk about Friday the 13th or we can talk about art.

We just have this connection.

She is a sweetheart and cares so much about her fans.

She always wants to give back to them.

She says that without her fans she wouldn’t be where she is now in her life.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247377_2106812956610_1434122128_32443460_1730496_n.jpg" class="photoborder" /> Photo: Adrienne King and Patrick Dobson

Q:

You mentioned to me that Lar Park Lincoln is not going to be a part of the film like you had original intended, can you go into detail on why?

I know she was at Monster-Mania.

Did you talk to her about the film? A:

This is correct.

Lar will not be involved in this film.

I can’t go into any of the details on why.

I will say that she did not seem interested.

Alright, let’s get into what everyone wants to know about.

Q:

On your way to t a t down dinner with Sean S. Cunningham, what was going through your mind?

Had you already rehearsed how it was all going to be brought up? A:

In my mind, I was fully prepared on how I was going to present it to him.

Well to start off, things did not go as planned.

Sean had other obligations.

I did end up having a get-together with Adrienne King, her husband Richard, my girlfriend Sandy and a bottle of Crystal Lake Wine.

We talked about what our next step should be in promoting the script.

We need to get as many fans to LIKE the Friday the 13th: Retribution page.

We got a lot of support from the actors and fans at Monster-Mania.

Things are moving forward as we speak.

The ride has just begun.

To all fans, the most people who like the page, the better the chances will be.

I thank all the actors and fans who have given me their support.

Thank you.

Official Crystal Lake Wines webte: http://crystallakewines.com

Crystal Lake Wines Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crystal-Lake-Wines%20-by-Adrienne-King/128548847175638?sk=wall
dakotathomas Monday 6/13/2011 at 09:53 PM | 77416
This needs to get made. Like the hell out of that facebook page
DoubleshotJ Monday 6/13/2011 at 10:51 PM | 77420
I wish Patrick good luck and hope to see his idea for a Friday the 13th film come to fruition in the near future!
jasonsfury Tuesday 6/14/2011 at 05:45 PM | 77452