Forums Horror Movie Talk
What If The Original MICHAEL, FREDDY & JASON Didn't Exist...

Halloween, A Nightmare On Elm Street, & Friday the 13th have not only spawned the top three slashers probably of all time, but they are arguably the three most talked about franchises of the 80's, as well. But, what if these movies never existed until now....

With the "Big 3" horror franchises all getting the remake treatment, the latest being A Nightmare on Elm Street, fans have voiced their opinions vehemently against these "reimagined" verons of their favorite slashers. But, what if instead of being reimagined verons of Michael, Jason & Freddy they were actually the originals...

So what I'm propong is this; Throw out everything you know about the original franchises and start anew with the 3 remade verons. You can begin with Rob Zombie's Halloween and work your way down to Sam Bayer's "ANOES". Whether you liked these films or not is a moot question.

Assuming that you have seen all 3 remakes and knowing what you know about them, do you think that these verons would become as popular now as the former verons were when they were released way back in the 80's?

Mitchell91 Tuesday 6/14/2011 at 06:04 PM | 77453
I strongly feel that if these remakes were the original they would not survive the test of time.

For starters the new Jason is not supernatural.

There was something disturbing and menacing about Jason (from Friday the 13th part 2 onward, part 1 was actually his mother) that he started as the soul of a drowned boy turned into some sort of never-fully-explained monster that could catch up to you even when moving at a slow pace.Now he's just some mad man in the woods.

The supernatural elements are also removed from Michael Meyers and to me the 'realism' of turning them into typical human slashers is boring and they lose their edge.

Also this Freddy lacked the malicious charisma that made the original so good.

You routed for him at times, even when you shouldn't, without false sympathy.
Darkling Wednesday 6/15/2011 at 02:26 AM | 77467
I strongly feel that if these remakes were the original they would not survive the test of time.

For starters the new Jason is not supernatural.

There was something disturbing and menacing about Jason (from Friday the 13th part 2 onward, part 1 was actually his mother) that he started as the soul of a drowned boy turned into some sort of never-fully-explained monster that could catch up to you even when moving at a slow pace.Now he's just some mad man in the woods.

The supernatural elements are also removed from Michael Meyers and to me the 'realism' of turning them into typical human slashers is boring and they lose their edge.

Also this Freddy lacked the malicious charisma that made the original so good.

You routed for him at times, even when you shouldn't, without false sympathy. I would have to agree, these new films (especially the ANOES remake) lacked in originality and the vibe that the originals had was raped. Don't get me wrong, the remake of Halloween wasn't that bad and the F13 remake had its moments (opening 20 minutes) but I wouldn't watch these films nearly as much.
Sephit Wednesday 6/15/2011 at 02:34 AM | 77468
An interesting angle would be to see if their are any younger viewers who may not have seen the originals. Then see what their take is on these characters which would be "new" to them. I personally think that the reboot veron could survivre the test of time if the originals didn't exist.

Why?

It's kinda eaer if I compare this to reading a book. Ok, so you read a book for the first time, and you create this visual in your head of what the character is going to look like. From that moment on your swayed. Then one day, several months later you find out that the book is going to be adapted into a movie. Eagerly you wait to see who is going to be cast as the characters. When the big reveal occurs, your either happy or pissed. I know I find myself to be overly critical because I went everything to be identical to what I read in the book. I want the character to look like what I pictured. And the story better damn well be word for word.

So what does all this mean? Let me explain further...

The book veron is the visual we have in our head now of the character, as well as his characteristics and the overall story. The movie adaption is the veron of the character for those who didn't read the book. No rules apply for them because they don't have a feel for the character at all, so they either like him or not. Nor do they know anything about the supposed plot. With that in mind they take the movie for what it's worth. Meaning they either like it or not...

Another example would be this...The Shining...I LOVE this movie, but I never read the book. BUT, I do know people that did read it, and they tell me all the time about how good it is, and I should read it because it's 100 times better....yadda, yadda. So, lets say for shits and giggles that Steve King never wrote the book...Instead The Shining was written just for the big screen. Which means a lot of those elements that were included in the book, which made it better to the reader, are now LOST. Would you be able to say that the movie was crap? I know I couldn't because that's the only veron that I know...and I Love it.

So my hypothes is; if these 3 icons never existed until now. Yes, we would probably love them as much as we do the originals becaus we wouldn't have the originals to compare them to.
Anonymous Wednesday 6/15/2011 at 03:05 AM | 77470
If we had no originals to compare to, and I was mply bang things on the new movies, I probably would not be in love with them.

The only reason being that they would be taking place in present day where we have every slasher/horror movie there could be.

Saw, Hostel, etc.

They would blend in. However as having started the franchise essentially they are like the patriarchs of a really amazing family. If they didn't exist in their 80's slasher glory....well I wouldn't want to live in that world!
BloodAndRibbons Wednesday 6/15/2011 at 04:37 PM | 77480
Going into the remakes I viewed them with the mindset of these being new movies with new characters. When doing this I was able to enjoy these movies for what they were and not nitpick about how things should've been done with the characters. As far as Michael and Jason go, I like them better being just people. ck and deranged as they may be, they're still human. Personally, I like the Freddy in the new NOES also. He's more monsterous and deadly I think.

I did have complaints on the movies themselves, but that was mainly acting, casting, and too much unnecessary nudity.
Ed Reilly Wednesday 6/15/2011 at 10:23 PM | 77485
Going into the remakes I viewed them with the mindset of these being new movies with new characters. When doing this I was able to enjoy these movies for what they were and not nitpick about how things should've been done with the characters. As far as Michael and Jason go, I like them better being just people. ck and deranged as they may be, they're still human. Personally, I like the Freddy in the new NOES also. He's more monsterous and deadly I think.

I did have complaints on the movies themselves, but that was mainly acting, casting, and too much unnecessary nudity.

Interesting post my friend. I for one would not argue with the nudity because most of the original horror films had even more nudity than the remakes.

Freddy in the remake used the same kill on everyone, knife glove to the stomach. I don't know if that was the eaest way to make the effect look realistic or if they were just in a hurry to make the script but blades to the stomach got super old.I think what most of these remakes lacked was SUSPENSE! It seemed like they take the concept of the original series for each remake and tried to cram multiple movies into one sped up shitty one. The only remake that I enjoyed bedes TCM (which was miles better than these three) was the Halloween remake. Say what you want about H2 but H1 remake went a totally different route with Myers growing up in the Asylum, being bullied and the set up to the night he kills his family. I think RZ really put a lot of work into that one and even came up with different cut's of the film. On a de note I really wish the escape from the Asylum in the workprint would have been shown in theatres but Joe Grizzlies scene was still badass. "I got a taco supreme deluxe talkin back at me, gonna be awhile, do you mind leaving me to handle this beast in peace?!"
Sephit Thursday 6/16/2011 at 12:08 AM | 77491
I just happen to have a 5 year old handy and he loves horror movies (wonder why). He has seen the remakes to all the big 4 (yes I count TCM as a player) before he seen the originals and for him it goes like this:

Halloween: he likes the 2007 remake, but rather watch the original 1978

and usually does so often.

Friday the 13th: prefers the remake over all the others except Freddy vs Jason

Nightmare on elm st: doesn't like remake, thinks originals are okay but again loves Freddy vs Jason

TCM: Likes TCM the prequel and doesn't care for any of the others

hope that gives some inght into what the kids think about the remakes vs the originals. And his favorite character is Jason with Michael in 2nd.
Stilesp1985 Thursday 6/16/2011 at 02:06 AM | 77501
I just happen to have a 5 year old handy and he loves horror movies (wonder why). He has seen the remakes to all the big 4 (yes I count TCM as a player) before he seen the originals and for him it goes like this:

Halloween: he likes the 2007 remake, but rather watch the original 1978

and usually does so often.

Friday the 13th: prefers the remake over all the others except Freddy vs Jason

Nightmare on elm st: doesn't like remake, thinks originals are okay but again loves Freddy vs Jason

TCM: Likes TCM the prequel and doesn't care for any of the others

hope that gives some inght into what the kids think about the remakes vs the originals. And his favorite character is Jason with Michael in 2nd.

That whole post made my day. Awesome kid!
BloodAndRibbons Thursday 6/16/2011 at 12:49 PM | 77514
That is the VS Jason in the pic not the remake.
sirbrad Sunday 6/19/2011 at 08:23 AM | 77585
all the big 4 (yes I count TCM as a player)

YES! high five !
pantera11431 Sunday 6/26/2011 at 12:50 AM | 77739