Forums Horror Movie Reviews
VANISHING ON 7TH STREET (Review)

I just finished viewing Vanishing On 7th Street (2010) and this movie is one of the best flicks that I'm sure no one has ever heard of! I've been asking around for hours now, and no one knew anything about it. Despite having a cast of bacally four people, it was completely engaging and personally I found it creepy as hell. (And not only because my baby ster used to see "shadow people" in our house growing up)

We'll start with the cast:

Hayden Christensen (Star Wars, Jumper, Takers, Awake) John Leguizamo (The Happening, The Kill Point, Ice Age) Thandie Newton (2012, ER, The Pursuit of Happyness)

And adorable newbie Jacob Latimore

Also, despite her only being in it for a total of 5 minutes I am going to give a shout out to Taylor Groothuis, who is posbly the cutest little girl I have ever seen in my life.

Now that we have that sorted out, onto the Plot:

A city wide power outage leaves Detroit to the darkness.

Come the morning, everyone has vanished.

Leaving behind crashed cars, crashing planes, and heaps of clothing where people used to be.

As the desolate city is shown we are introduced one by one to each survivor.

Luke (Christensen) is a shiny new news anchor out of Chicago.

Paul (Leguizamo) runs the reels at the local theater, while being a history buff on the de.

Rosemary (Newton) is a Phycal Therapist, desperate to find her 9 month old son, who is among the vanished.

Lastly is James (Latimore) who is hiding in the bar where his mother works, incidentally the only place with a working backup generator.

As the four are drawn to the light and comfort of the bar, they realize what they're up against isn't human. Shadowy figures grab for them whenever they leave the safety of the light.

And light is getting harder and harder to come by, the sun is ring later, and setting earlier. They need to get out of town, they hope help is just a city away, but with every car as powerless as the rest of the city, they find themselves trapped, and completely alone.

The isolation is one of the most intense parts of this movie.

Everyone has a theory, and I as the watcher did too. Rosemary thinks it's judgment day, Luke thinks its something out to get them. Paul tells the story of Roanoake, an entire colony that was once wiped off the map, milar to what is happening now.

I don't want to give anymore away, because this movie was awesome, and I definitely don't want to spoil it.See trailer below, but trust me, this is one you HAVE to rent. Just make sure you have a nightlight handy!

http://youtu.be/uFbBIUcklt8
BloodAndRibbons Saturday 6/18/2011 at 01:50 AM | 77551
I remember seeing the trailer for this a long time ago on BD and people were hating on it but I thought it had potential so glad to see that it is a good watch. Where did you rent it? Is it on Netflix?
Sephit Sunday 6/19/2011 at 05:07 AM | 77583
I obtained it from my local RedBox (I'm not sure what cities have them and which don't) but if it was there (the RedBox is very picky) I'd imagine it was on Netflix.

Definitely worth 90 minutes :)
BloodAndRibbons Monday 6/20/2011 at 12:25 AM | 77595
this is even on netflix instant right now.

A lot of critics really drug this one through the mud, but honestly, I enjoyed it.

There are a few extremely improbable scenes, but they're here and gone quick enough to avoid dwelling on them. The performances are pretty good, and Hayden's character has a great (and realistic) self preservation type of attitude.

The "darkness" also feels a little bit like the evil that comes for the villains in Ghost (Swayze).

Overall, a much better film than I anticipated. It's actually got really good pacing for a film of this nature.
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 6/23/2011 at 01:46 AM | 77661