Forums Horror Movie Reviews
BLOOD NIGHT: THE LEGEND OF MARY HATCHET Review

“Blood Night: The Legend Of Mary Hatchet” stars Danielle Harris (Halloween series, Hatchet II) Bill Moseley (The Devil’s Rejects) and many other no name actors that gear up for the twenty year anniversary of Mary Hatchet’s death. A local crazy woman who killed her parents when she was a young girl. What do high school kids do on the anniversery of a mad woman’s death? They throw a party.

At this party there are beers, slutty girls and high school guys that want nothing else but to get drunk and get laid, as usual. This formula is one that has been around for over forty years in the horror genre. Especially slasher horror films. I am a sucker for slasher films. All you have to do is be creative with a back story on the killer. The victims could be the most unlikeable people, but the kills have to have substance. And one more thing, the characters have to be intelligent when it comes to running from the killer.

“Blood Night: The Legend Of Mary Hatchet” is a lazy attempt at a slasher film that could be good given its setup. The story is obvious, the characters are cliche and badly acted and the kills are laughable, in your face filmmaking that I am just not a fan of in this genre.

First time director and writer, Frank Sabatella has a lot to learn when it comes to shooting a horror film. Just because you make the screen blink does not mean your scenes will be scary. Though he did do some cool lighting technics here and there, his filmmaking in a nutshell is obnoxious and laughable at times. The twist is lazy and can people shooting a slasher film stop with the P.O.V. of a killer killing victims. Its tiresome. Especially when its sort of, kind of a mystery who the killer is. But in this film it is pretty obvious what is going to happen.

The characters are stupidly written with sex and alcohol being their motivation, which it usually is, but here once the killing starts late in the film, the characters get retarded and useless. And talk about the laziest way to kill people and have your slasher be generic and lame. The killer in this movie at the end is laughable and kills everyone in the dumbest ways posble to wrap this movie up in eighty minutes flat. The film could have been a little under an hour with its potential. I felt bad seeing one of my favorite scream queens, Danielle Harris up on screen in this movie. What she saw in the material is debatable but I would call this her worse performance yet.

This is a garbage, recycled slasher film that we have all seen before done by amateurs and dumped out to the public. Do yourself a favor and watch something claser then “Blood Night: The Legend Of Mary Hatchet.” I think the title says it all.

Rating: D

Source:

http://whenthelightscomeup.com/post/6563199554
JoeTheHouseOfHorror Monday 6/20/2011 at 07:19 PM | 77598
Damn that's dissapointing, I was hoping for a fun slasher flick with some potential...oh well.
Sephit Tuesday 6/21/2011 at 07:43 AM | 77609
Personally I had a lot of fun with this one. It was intentionally cheesy and felt like a fun throwback to 80's horror.
Zombie Dude Monday 6/27/2011 at 12:54 PM | 77758