Forums Horror Movie Reviews
KIDNAPPED Review

"Kidnapped" is a spanish horror film that has a clasc, formulaic horror setup. A home invaon film. A sub-genre in horror that has become very popular for decades. A family of three are moving in and on their first night settling into their new home they get bombarded when three masked men rush into their house and hold the family hostage. Very reminiscent of "The Last House On The Left," "Funny Games" and "The Strangers." Written and directed by Miguel Ángel Vivas (Reflections) “Kidnapped” has the production value and filmmaking techniques to make for interesting visuals. Nothing truly special when it comes to the script. A movie like this in 2011 you would expect to have a big twist or knock you out in some way in terms of plot. But "Kidnapped" settles in as a reality based film with real life people in real life tuations along with a few shocker moments that will stay with you after the fact.

The three mask men in the film are really not that interesting. That would be my biggest complaint. One is the boss, the other is the deranged, no moral henchman and the third man is the one who “wants to take it easy on the family.” I do not think that is the way to go. I just want to see my invaders as straight forward characters. I want them to mean buness and not F around so to speak. These characters were not those people. To me they were not ballsy characters unlike the ending which says otherwise. But I guess you could argue that the end result might not happen if these characters are written like that in the core of the film.

The family however are just victims. We spend little to no time with them as characters before the invaon and do not truly get to know them. I felt for the characters because of their tuation for the realism but otherwise not like I truly cared about them through out.

Typical flaws in the film when it comes to this type of formula. No cellphone service, escaping then pulled back in and the tuational mistakes that characters make here and there just bother me in this film. The daughter played by Manuela Vellés in the climax of the film steps her acting game up drastically and you really feel for her character then more than you do in the core of the film. I think the last scene if anything gets you. That is why I like the film overall. The split screen extended scene as well. This is good filmmaking at the end of the day and the director knew what he had and the end result of this film will stay in your head after watching it.

Rating: B-

Source:

http://whenthelightscomeup.com/post/6884014302
JoeTheHouseOfHorror Monday 6/27/2011 at 11:29 PM | 77775
Just finished watching this.

Overall, it's your typical home invaon movie, nothing overly shocking . . . until the very end.

I won't post spoilers, but I'll just say that the last few minutes make the movie.

Definitely one of those "WOW!" moments that will stay with you.

Kudos to the filmmakers for not holding back!
gummi Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 05:52 AM | 78524