Forums Horror Movie Talk
Looks Like SCREAM 4 might actually happen

I've been avoiding posting this topic for the past few days.

When I first heard the rumor of Scream 4 I just ignored it and thought the rumor would fade away ..

.however it seems to be picking up steam and has been popping up on more and more film te over the past couple of days

.. . so here you go . . .

Not exactly new news nce we already knew about Scream 4 but today as part of the 7 year deal between Showtime and The Weinsteins comes word that Scream 4 is still on tap. It is going to be what they are calling a restart to the franchise. We will see if they can pull that one off. The Weinsteins say “The Scream franchise has become a cult clasc. Together, all three movies have grossed over $300 million at the box office, just in the United States alone. The fans have been asking for a 4th Scream movie for years and we’re finally giving it to them. As far as details go, we’re only in the planning stages and we may not get around to it

for quite some time, but rest assured, it will happen.”
DaShape Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:11 PM | 15956
they can bring it out if they want, wont bother me nce i thought 2 and 3 sucked anyways
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:15 PM | 15957
no...just no

lblambert Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:20 PM | 15959
Scream the original is one of my favorite movies so this should be good news. But it isn't. What made the Scream movies work was the fact that they were so different and shocking compared to everything else that came before it. It also poked fun at other horror movies. Unless they change the formula it just won't work. Justin
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:22 PM | 15960
Scream the original is one of my favorite movies so this should be good news. But it isn't. What made the Scream movies work was the fact that they were so different and shocking compared to everything else that came before it. It also poked fun at other horror movies. Unless they change the formula it just won't work. Justin

I think you're exactly right Justin. The first movie was fantastic because it was the right idea at the right time.
lblambert Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:36 PM | 15961

I think you're exactly right Justin. The first movie was fantastic because it was the right idea at the right time.

man i LOVED the first one still do, but 2 and 3 were cash ins and i didnt like them at all

Scream also brought in a crap load of horrible imitators and just plain lousy wannabes as well that never had the intelligence the original had that they tried so hard to copy
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:41 PM | 15962
Eh, no... This Is GREAT news to me!!!

My personal Honest Opinion probably wont matter to those who hate the movie, but I'm sure those who loved it will agree with me because you probably like it for the same reasons. I Like it because to me, it was more of an 80's Slasher hit with some of the New school technology. To me the Killer's Costume was very Clasc, Scary and mple.

I love the plot. Not to many movies have a pretty decent plot anymore, but Scream's plot was once again with Clasc, Scary and mple.

Arnt most of the 80's films, Clasc, Scary and mple?

The Voice changer was very kool as well! The Horror trivia question game, was Bomb!

A Killer in a creepy costume, Original! Stalking babyters and friends, Clasc! Calling someone from outde the house, Once again - Original! A ck Twisted Plot, Awesome! Who could ask for a better Slasher??? --Ryan

Harry Warden Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:42 PM | 15963

My personal Honest Opinion probably wont matter to those who hate the movie, but I'm sure those who loved it will agree with me because you probably like it for the same reasons. I Like it because to me, it was more of an 80's Slasher hit with some of the New school technology. To me the Killer's Costume was very Clasc, Scary and mple.

I love the plot. Not to many movies have a pretty decent plot anymore, but Scream's plot was once again with Clasc, Scary and mple.

The Voice changer was very kool as well! The Horror trivia question game, was Bomb!

A Killer in a creepy costume, Original! Stalking babyters and friends, Clasc! Calling someone from outde the house, Once again - Original! A ck Twisted Plot, Awesome! Who could ask for a better Slasher??? --Ryan

well you described part one to the T

2 and 3 went too far off formula and part 3 had the all too framiliar "luke i am your father moment"
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:44 PM | 15964

well you described part one to the T

2 and 3 went too far off formula and part 3 had the all too framiliar "luke i am your father moment" Yeh I do agree... Part one was BOMB, I still like the others, but they shouldn't have gotten all complicated with dneys mother and the whole "I've got a Brother" thing... I don't care for those kind of movies. I still liked them because it still have the same charactors in it and part 3 reacting out the movie script was pretty slick... Yeh there's alot that was decent and alot that wasnt. It's a mixed movie that turned out to be at least a 7 on a 1-10 scale...

I liked the idea of Billy's mother being the killer in part 2... Mikey was a given... But Mikey reminded me alot like Stew from the first film...

Idunno... all in all the're pretty decent to me! --Ryan

Harry Warden Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 10:53 PM | 15967
Scream actually started a whole new sub "genre" if you will. And Harry you did a great job of expresng why the first film worked so well. The problem with the sequels and all the movies that cashed in on the Scream formula were they all followed the same "who is the killer" formula. It was done perfect in Scream 1 but after that we all knew what to expect. The reason the formula won't work anymore is partly because it has been done to death and partly because the shock value is gone.

The funny thing is that everyone was shocked (including me) that Drew Berrymore got killed at the beginning of the film. You had the feeling going in that there is no way Berrymore is going to die in the first 15 minutes and it happens. The intriguing part of that is that Psycho used that same shock value to nail the shower scene and make it one of horrors greatest moments. Having Janet Leigh killed off at the beginning set the tone for the rest of the film and showed the genius behind the story that is Psycho.

I hope we are all wrong here and I hope Scream 4 does something different and unique but the mple fact is having that name is going to kill it for me right off the start. I will reserve judgment as I always do and I will go see it on opening night. Will it be entertaining, sure, I hope. Will it bring me back to the first time I saw Scream on the big screen on Christmas night, not a chance....
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 11:07 PM | 15970
I see where you are coming from with the whole not knowing who the killer is, but isnt that have the fun of watching it booie? I know I enjoy not knowing and trying to use my Horror Knowledge to detect who is behind it all... The mple clues and pull them appart from who the film wants you to think is the killer. They always try to set the innocent up to look like the killer so that you are thinking it's them the whole time, meanwhile it isnt and than when you finally see who it is, You're "Shocked". haha... If that makes any sence.

To me what you are saying by changeing the formula to create a differant type of a Scream movie, would be conterdicting the 80's Slashers and all that followed with there own formula. It's like putting Jason in Space... Wait... haha They did that! Nobody liked it because it wasnt Jason Formula.

It's naturally Screams formula to break down to the end and see who is behind the mystery.

Like Scooby Doo if you will...

Hopefully I am making sence. I sure try to... haha...

I say leave the formula alone and get out of the Complicated Researching stuff that went on in Scream 2 and 3...

--Ryan

Harry Warden Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 11:18 PM | 15973
I see where you are coming from with the whole not knowing who the killer is, but isnt that have the fun of watching it booie? I know I enjoy not knowing and trying to use my Horror Knowledge to detect who is behind it all... The mple clues and pull them appart from who the film wants you to think is the killer. They always try to set the innocent up to look like the killer so that you are thinking it's them the whole time, meanwhile it isnt and than when you finally see who it is, You're "Shocked". haha... If that makes any sence.

To me what you are saying by changeing the formula to create a differant type of a Scream movie, would be conterdicting the 80's Slashers and all that followed with there own formula. It's like putting Jason in Space... Wait... haha They did that! Nobody liked it because it wasnt Jason Formula.

It's naturally Screams formula to break down to the end and see who is behind the mystery.

Like Scooby Doo if you will...

Hopefully I am making sence. I sure try to... haha...

I say leave the formula alone and get out of the Complicated Researching stuff that went on in Scream 2 and 3...

--Ryan Ryan once again I am going to have to change my stance a bit as you put that very well. Deviating from the formula in the Slasher movies do suck but Scream isn't really the hack-n-slash movie that you speak of. True I want to see Jason kill people, and Mike, and Fred, etc. But with Scream it was like Lee said, right place, right time. I just think it has been too many years, too many crappy knock offs, and I think rehashing the same formula just won't work. Again I am game and you bring of very valid points. I guess Scream is to me like HalloweeN is to many others.

de bar, Neve Campbell I loved her role in the first film (loved her many times actually, once in a Sears bathroom

) But she isn't being brought back for this film is she? And even if she is, she is older, I am older, man life sucks, LOL!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 7/15/2008 at 11:27 PM | 15974

de bar, Neve Campbell I loved her role in the first film (loved her many times actually, once in a Sears bathroom

)

Too much info...LOL....j/k In all seriousness I agree the first one was awesome....the 2nd and the 3rd were okay I liked them but hey not many sequals compare to the original anyway. I make it a point to keep that in mind so I don't get too disappointed. Hey I'm optimistic the 4th could surprise us all and be great. Guess we'll see....

kweandee Wednesday 7/16/2008 at 12:03 AM | 15978
the original "SCREAM" was incredible.

Sure it's been surpassed now but at it's peak, it was creating a new sub-genre of horror (a sub genre that I've grown to hate over the years) but none the less . . . SCREAM being the father of that twist ending style was a great tribute to Horror.

"SCREAM 2" and "SCREAM 3"

. . .. .
DaShape Wednesday 7/16/2008 at 12:57 AM | 15983
the original "SCREAM" was incredible.

Sure it's been surpassed now but at it's peak, it was creating a new sub-genre of horror (a sub genre that I've grown to hate over the years) but none the less . . . SCREAM being the father of that twist ending style was a great tribute to Horror.

"SCREAM 2" and "SCREAM 3"

. . .. .I agree Fenner, Scream 2 and 3 never captured the magic of the first film. I saw Scream 1 probably 12 times on the big screen during the summer after its release and it went to the $1 theater. I loved the movie and knew I would love the sequels, well I didn't. Scream one had a really different feel to it, an actual scary vibe going for it like the events that happened could have really happened in real life. The 2nd and 3rd just seemed rushed and because the twist ending had been done I really found myself just not caring as much.

Good topic and proves that Scream was one of horrors true great films....
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 7/16/2008 at 03:06 AM | 16005