Forums Horror Movie Talk
10 Sequels That Trump The Originals

Yep,That's right. I'm doing another top ten, because I have been on a movie binge this weekend and thought there are so many sequels that are as good,if not better than the originals. So get real close to the screen Bidites and prepare to be please or pissed off. This is The 10 Sequels That Trump The Originals.

10.HOSTEL 2 Great story,good cast, and one hell of an ending. If given a choice I always pick this one. The bathtub scene just does something for me. Please don't repeat that.

09.THE DEVILS REJECTS. I'm a huge fan of 1000 corpses,but when Rejects came out I was blown away. Zombie just took the greatness of the 1st and timed it by 100.

08.HATCHET 2. Tony Todd,Kane Hodder,Danielle Harris. If this isn't enough for you I don't know what is. Love the plot to this one and the characters.

07.FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 6. Oh shit I bet you thought I was going to put Part 3 up because of the mask,nope. Part 6 is when we see Jason really be resurrected for the 1st time and the great Thom Mathews makes his entrance as Tommy. This is my top in the series.

06.PHANTASM 2 The most confung series ever,but has its brightest moment right here. And the effects are so awesome in this one.

05.DAWN OF THE DEAD. A bunch of zombies trying to get into a mall. check. good cast. check. And there are survivors at the end. Check. Its a winner in my book.

04.NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST PART 3. Okay lets get angry now. How dare I sully the original,is what your thinking,but I'm not. This is just as good as the 1st.

Heather is back in this one,we have a great cast and Freddy gets the best line of all time. "Welcome to prime time bitch."

03.EVIL DEAD 2. Come on it when Ash cuts his had off...I rest my case.

02.SCREAM 2 Thats right, it is from a story point of view better. This one has such a great reveal of the killer character (aunt Jackie) and that opening death(s). Just A+ all the way.

01.Aliens Went old school on ya ( I was going to say Son of Frankenstein,but didn't wanna go that old). I love it and we all know it the best of the 4.

There it is. Its set in stone and can never be changed. Now run and tell others what you have read here today so that they too can know The 10 Sequels That Trump The Originals.
Stilesp1985 Sunday 7/10/2011 at 09:04 PM | 78232
Some good choices here, except for Hatchet 2. THAT MOVIE SUCKED!!
Anonymous Sunday 7/10/2011 at 09:37 PM | 78233
Some good choices here, except for Hatchet 2. THAT MOVIE SUCKED

I agree, Hatchet 2 was a major let down for me. I loved the first, and bought the second first chance I had, and it was no where near as good. If it wasn't for the effects and Danielle Harris, I don't know if I would of finished it.

Also, I personally think the first Evil Dead is better. I know the second one looks better, the writing is stronger, etc. But for some reason the first one has such a hold on my heart that I have never found the second to be better, even with the stronger elements at play.
HorrorDaily Sunday 7/10/2011 at 09:47 PM | 78234
I totally agree with you on the first Evil Dead; there is just something about that film.

It's my favorite and a yearly Halloween tradition for me.

However, I have to disagree with you on Hatchet 2.

I agree with you that the first is better but the second succeeds in what it was trying for.

It's a straight up throw back to the clasc '80's style slasher film; its fun to watch and a good addition into the hopefully growing franchise.
RHOADES Sunday 7/10/2011 at 10:31 PM | 78235
I hope there's a Hatchet 3, while I disliked the second one, I'm absolutely willing to give the series another shot or two.
HorrorDaily Sunday 7/10/2011 at 11:30 PM | 78236
I think Evil Dead makes for a better horror movie than Dead by Dawn, but it's still extremely entertaining... And I agree with Dream warriors, it's my fav as well. I wanna watch it every time I hear Dokken!
R-Awesome85 Sunday 7/10/2011 at 11:39 PM | 78238
I agree with a lot of your picks except scream 2, Hostel 2, and Hatchet 2. Hostel 2 is close but i still think the first is better

I Think Dream Warriors is the best Nightmare.
DoubleshotJ Monday 7/11/2011 at 12:50 AM | 78240
Nice list stiles!

Except the original Scream and Phantasm imo are better then any of their sequels.
immortaldeath24 Monday 7/11/2011 at 01:36 AM | 78241
Nice choices man! I still believe that the original Scream and the original Nightmare are a lot better than their sequels but I will admit that when I first watched Scream 2, I too thought it was better than the first. This of course was until I rewatched the original. Nightmare 3 comes in a close second to the original for me and ties with New Nightmare in my book...of the dead. Sadly I haven't seen The Evil Dead 2 yet but I do own the original and love the filming and vibe of it.I have to agree with your choices for Hostel 2, Dawn of the Dead, The Devils Rejects and Aliens though. Those were all definitely better than the originals for me, coincidentally we have Dawn of the Dead on right now!
Sephit Monday 7/11/2011 at 06:36 AM | 78249
Good list and I do like the Phantasm series although 4 was confung in some places, but I think Angus Scrimm's was perfectly cast as The Tall Man and he plays creepy well.
latingoddyss Monday 7/11/2011 at 05:16 PM | 78256
Nice choices man! I still believe that the original Scream and the original Nightmare are a lot better than their sequels but I will admit that when I first watched Scream 2, I too thought it was better than the first. This of course was until I rewatched the original. Nightmare 3 comes in a close second to the original for me and ties with New Nightmare in my book...of the dead. Sadly I haven't seen The Evil Dead 2 yet but I do own the original and love the filming and vibe of it.I have to agree with your choices for Hostel 2, Dawn of the Dead, The Devils Rejects and Aliens though. Those were all definitely better than the originals for me, coincidentally we have Dawn of the Dead on right now

You got to get on that Evil Dead 2, your misng out... Netfilx has become my best friend,if you can't stream it then then have the disc and its only 9.00 a month.
Stilesp1985 Monday 7/11/2011 at 05:46 PM | 78258
the one i disagree on is the nightmare on elm street 3 but it was the good one, after 3 it went downhill
hm4life Tuesday 7/12/2011 at 08:42 AM | 78324
ALIENS was a great movie, the Alien queen was awesome, but it is not as good as the original ALIEN. The original chestbuster scene is one of my favorites (if not absolute favorite) scene from cinema. I love both movies, but I just think that the original is better.
Kidtut Tuesday 7/12/2011 at 10:41 PM | 78402
Well, I agree with most of this list.

Except for Evil Dead 2 and Scream 2.

Evil Dead 2; Was no better then the original. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS MOVIE, but was it as good as the original, not to me.

Scream 2; Was really on the same level as the original IMO. It was the best Scream sequel. I just really liked the 1st Scream with a pason for some reason.

Otherwise I completely agree with all your others. I wasn't sure if I agreed about F13 Prt. 6, but now thatI think about it that was the one that made Jason look REALLY BADASS

Great List and article!!
Tobyisoctopus Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 04:44 AM | 78506
I disagree strongly with most of these selections. There are really only 2 that i think have a really good case, Aliens and Devil Rejects.

Evil Dead 2 might be more fun but its not a better horror movie.
AgnesItsMeBilly Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 12:35 PM | 78543
This has the most views I have ever seen on one topic......Crazy cool
Stilesp1985 Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 09:48 PM | 78577
I really disagree with most of these. Scream 4 is probably the best in that franchise next to the original. It had so much more to say about the state of horror than any of the previous films. It's a satire and was always meant to be. Nightmare 4 has always been my favorite. It's when Freddy became a rock star. When he puts the sungalsses on while at the beach that solidified the character traits for every movie to follow. Firday the 13th part 6 would not be my first choice either. Takes Manhattan has always been criminally underrated IMO. Evil Dead is better than Evil Dead by miles. 2 was bacally just a comical remake/retelling of the first one.
MisfitSquid Thursday 7/14/2011 at 07:41 PM | 78664
to me i think halloween 2 is a bit better then the first one ......just in my eyes that is

heartlessangel Thursday 7/14/2011 at 08:26 PM | 78675
Interesting list..The first Scream however is far superior to ANY of the sequels and the original NOES has a creepy vibe that the sequels lack..
NightShape Friday 7/15/2011 at 05:47 PM | 78753
Dream Warriors was pure epicness and I agree with this whole list.

I believe Troll 2 was even better than the first one.... as god awful as it is.

I also found Wrong Turn 2 to be WAY better than the 1st or 3rd one.
BloodyAdored Saturday 7/16/2011 at 12:17 AM | 78767
Whoever wrote this is an idiot... You talk about Scream 2 and use a pic from 4, Phantasm 2 was nowhere near the original, and Hostel 2 couldnt hold Hostel 1's jockstrap... And Friday pt. 6? You're out of your damn mind, for really doe... And as for Dream Warriors... It was great, awesome even, but the OG Nightmare on Elm St. was a once in a lifetime film that will never be surpassed. Most of these films don't belong on a list such as this.. Damn, this te is really going to sh*t... BITD it was legit, but now, not so much so.
jswaffxxx Sunday 7/17/2011 at 04:21 PM | 78836
Whoever wrote this is an idiot... You talk about Scream 2 and use a pic from 4, Phantasm 2 was nowhere near the original, and Hostel 2 couldnt hold Hostel 1's jockstrap... And Friday pt. 6? You're out of your damn mind, for really doe... And as for Dream Warriors... It was great, awesome even, but the OG Nightmare on Elm St. was a once in a lifetime film that will never be surpassed. Most of these films don't belong on a list such as this.. Damn, this te is really going to sh*t... BITD it was legit, but now, not so much so.

We are all entitled to our own opinion on here but you do not need to go bashing on the author saying they are "an idiot" and saying the te has "gone to sh*t"; that is just down right disrespectful. If you do not mind me asking... what movies do YOU think should have been on the list instead? I really would like to hear :)

BloodyAdored Wednesday 7/20/2011 at 04:46 AM | 78977
Alas we cannot forget House on Haunted Hill!
BloodyAdored Friday 7/22/2011 at 06:17 AM | 79113
I agree with most of this list except I think the first Phantasm and Scream films were better same goes for the Evil Dead film
VoltronLions Wednesday 7/27/2011 at 02:28 AM | 79346
I think Hatchet 2 is far superior to Hatchet. I found Hatchet to be quite slow paced.
Sourfacedbastard Monday 8/01/2011 at 11:32 AM | 79674
I can't believe you forgot to put Hellraiser 2 on this list. mply take Hatchet 2 or Hostel 2 off here and add Hellraiser and you have a better list.
outcastjon Sunday 8/07/2011 at 09:10 PM | 80209
Pick is from Scream 4 not Scream 2...
philip96 Friday 8/12/2011 at 12:15 PM | 80516
I disagree on Aliens.

It was awesome, but not as terrifying as the first movie.

Most younger fans I know prefer Aliens but will admit they didn't see them in order.

If you've already seen the sequels Alien won't have as much shock value.

When I first saw it as a kid the creature was so 'alien' that I couldn't make sense of what I was looking at (which made it so much scarier!).

And the face-hugger and chest-burster scenes were something audiences were not prepared for!
unnatural Monday 9/19/2011 at 12:10 AM | 82930
I agree with you on Evil Dead II... Whereas the first one is primarily horror and "Army" was, to me, mostly a comedy/Action/Adventure, part II has the best mixture of horror and comedy.

The film has a delicate balance of being clever and eerie, high and low brow.

I can say the same for Dream Warriors.

That being said, I love the stripped down, serious toned approach Rob Zombie took with The Devils Rejects. I have to disagree with Phantasm 2.

I feel it lacks the atmosphere that made the first one so great.
Madloomis78 Monday 9/19/2011 at 01:05 AM | 82936
hatchet 2 was in no way shape or form better than hatchet

all the scream sequels sucked really, nothing will top the original

friday the 13th pt 2 was better than the original so its not hard to find a better friday movie (except the remake which is even worse than manhattan)

evil dead 2 doesnt count as its a remake not a sequel (sorry its true its not a sequel)
Johnny Bisco Monday 9/19/2011 at 09:32 AM | 82964