Forums Horror Movie Talk
3 Horror Film Sequels That Could Have Stood On Their Own

The horror genre, more so then any other genre seems to be congested with a plethora of sequels. But every now and again a horror film which is presented to us in this dreaded format takes on a life of its own. Pong this very question - Are there any horror sequels that are capable of standing on there own two feet? Here are three films that I suggest:

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

The third part of the popular franchise took on a life of its own in 1982, and died almost instantaneously at the box office. Mostly due to the fact that this was the only Halloween film that established a complete departure from the "slasher" genre by not including the infamous Michael Myers. Instead the movie opted to go in a completely different direction - A direction that fans of the original deplored. The movie was very dark and atmospheric in its own sense and succeeded in providing a feeling of overwhelming dread and fear. The only flaw that the movie seemed to possess was the odious tie to the franchise. It's my belief that if the film was mply titled Season of the Witch more of the general public would have accepted it for what it is – A GREAT HALLOWEEN-THEMED HORROR MOVIE.

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)

The follow up to the smash hit The Blair Witch Project was everything but that. The film reflected the same folklore which was created by its predecessor, but it was unquestionably less suspenseful. Despite this imperfection, I did find this film to be more intriguing and I particularly loved the way that it diverted your mind in a million different directions, for this reason I found this film to be a wonderful psychological horror movie. I feel that this film is vastly underrated due to the fact that its a sequel, had they decided to go with the title Book of Shadows and based it loosely on the folklore, I'm fairly certain that a lot more people may have approved it.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

In this chapter of the Friday the 13th series we are presented with the charade pertaining to the death of Jason Vorhees. Throughout the entire film it’s never entirely clear whether Jason is back from the dead. This mystery angle worked well for the film as it did in the original chapter. But it also proved to be its downfall. As the film entered its climax and the mask was removed just about every fan of the series displayed some form of antipathy.

But it was for this exact reason why I love this film, and as far as I'm concerned, it would have fared immeasurably better on its own. You would only have only needed to tweak several minor details - such as the character of Tommy Jarvis and the dismissal of the hockey mask - all other aspects would have worked. Maybe this was a bad sequel, but it certainly wasn't a bad movie.

I’m sure some will agree upon the choices that I selected for this list and others will strongly dispute it. Regardless, I would love to hear your thoughts/selections regarding this discuson.
Anonymous Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 03:16 AM | 78482
Just a brillant editorial and I couldn't agree more Brian. Halloween 3 is a campy, ludicrous movie yet it is so fantastically well done that I think it gets dogged mple because it is in the Halloween series. A film that literally could have standed on its own and probably should have.

Book of Shadows is another perfect example of a film that didn't get the attention nor respect it deserved because it was a sequel to one of the most original movie ideas the film world had seen. Not a bad film but one that didn't get a proper chance mply because of the title

And last but not least, Friday the 13th: A New Beginning, what can be said that you didn't say. A film that is top notch in the slasher series and one that is frequently overlooked because of the title.

Great article my man!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 03:33 AM | 78487
Thanks my brother!! Glad you liked the article as well as my selections.
Anonymous Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 03:41 AM | 78489
Excellent list man!

I am a huge Season of The Witch fan and A New Beginning is a pretty entertaining slasher.

I never seen the sequel to Blair Witch I wasn't a fan of the original but from what I hear its totally different so maybe ill give it a look in the future.
immortaldeath24 Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 03:52 AM | 78491
I COMPLETELY agree with all 3 of these films. I love SOTW with a PASON! I can't believe people say it is a horrible film. PLUS it was directed by JOHN CARPENTER who is the second best director (Right behind Wes Craven (hehe, haha)). I thought the film was awesome! Blair Witch was alright. I remember renting it from Blockbuster (RIP) when it first came out. LOVED IT! As for F13 5: A New Beginning; That is one of my favorite F13 films (I love Parts 1-5 ) That one definitely deserves more respect. Anywhom, very good article!
Tobyisoctopus Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 04:16 AM | 78496
Ya you pretty much nailed this one. I really enjoy all three of the films you listed. I Am a pretty big fan of F13 part 5. It has some of my favorite characters out of all the Friday movies.
DoubleshotJ Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 04:41 AM | 78505
ive got to agree, ESPECISALLY with H3

good piece here brother!
Matt_Molgaard Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 05:08 AM | 78516
HAPPY, HAPPY HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN

HAPPY, HAPPY HALLOWEEN - LVER SHAMROCK!
AgnesItsMeBilly Thursday 7/14/2011 at 06:01 PM | 78655
i would of loved to see more halloween 3 like movies that would have been very cool

heartlessangel Thursday 7/14/2011 at 08:50 PM | 78681