Forums Horror Movie Talk
10 Remakes That Kill The Original

Is it just me or do I know how to make a damn good list? I was taking

a walk,while wondering what to put up today and it hit me. There are a lot of remakes that just kill the original and set a new standard. So here is the unchangeable top 10 remakes that kill the original. Yes I said kill as in better than. So please make your hate mail as short as posble,cause my eyes get tired after alot a reading.

10.DAWN OF THE DEAD it just goes to

show you that zombies never really die. Its a more character driven story.

09.SORORITY ROW I can't believe how awesome this movie was,seriously. And that ending just sets up for THE perfect sequel.

08.THE FLYJeff Goldblum is a bad mofo. I bet no one reading this has a clue that this is a remake.

07.LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT WOW,the story flowed much,much better this time around. And Wes was right there to help.

06.MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D The original just blows donkey balls....I hope to see a sequel to this one.

05.THE THING Same as The Fly..... J.C. Knows what hes doing here.

04.THE HILLS HAVE EYES mple,better budget.Better movie.

03.TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE This is just like the Hills. I also think Leather looks cooler here.

02.NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD(1990) Barbra is hot and can kickass.And Tom Savini directed it. Winning!

01.H1:HALLOWEEN This is a Michael vs Michael thing,Tyler Mane could crush Nick Castle with one hand.Yea You know you were thinking it but I said it. Plus young Mikey is a great addition to the story.

There you go. Once again spreading movie wisdom throughout the land. Remember,like always, its set in stone.
Stilesp1985 Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 09:25 PM | 78574
You really think Rob Zombies' Halloween is better than what is arguably the best slasher of all time?

I don't even know what to say..... and i'm one of the people that actually liked Rob Zombies adaptation.
AgnesItsMeBilly Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 10:09 PM | 78581
Rob Zombie's Halloween better than John Carpenters? NO. NO.NO.NO.NO.NO.NO.
Kidtut Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 10:40 PM | 78583
I was pping on a nice cold brew when I read this list, by the time I got to number one, I nearly choked. How in the world can you even think this, let alone print it?

I also beg to differ with your Chainsaw selection. Your reasoning is because "Leatherface" looks cooler in this one. Don't get me wrong it was bloody as hell, but it was misng that fear element that the original contained. No atmosphere, no feelings of dread or despair. It was bacally just a kill fest. My Bloody Valentine was also a very weak effort in my opinion. I would even go as far as saying it was cheesy in a bad way.

Where the heck is the remake of Mother's Day? How doesn't that make the list?

Ok, hopefully you don't see this as a bashing.

A list would be less effective if it didn't spark some sort of a discuson....which your's clearly did. Keep up the good work Stiles.
Anonymous Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 11:26 PM | 78586
I'm not going to comment on what I disagree with, otherwise we'll be here all night. What I am going to comment on though is the fact that The Thing is so low. That should ealy be number one.
HorrorDaily Thursday 7/14/2011 at 12:50 AM | 78594
I was going to leave some potive comments, but after reading number one I changed my mind.

gummi Thursday 7/14/2011 at 03:39 AM | 78614
Come on, who says everyone here has to have the same opinion? I don't agree with Stile's on a few things, but he has a right to his opinions.. And, I like both the original Halloween and Rob Zombie's remake. They are completely different films, and I like them both for different reasons.That being said, I wasn't really into the remake of The Hills have Eyes , or the remake of The Last house on the Left..But, that is just my opinion, based on my own tastes, no one has to agree with me.

I did have fun watching the remake of Dawn of the Dead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I like re watching them sometimes, but I like the originals more..
Moon Thursday 7/14/2011 at 04:47 AM | 78620
Bnizzle... I wrote this for two reasons. The 1st being that its all true,this movies do a far better job than the originals at entertaining me and majority (except for halloween,I believe the original and the remake to be even,kinda said that to get a rise out everyone and it worked). 2nd I just like to show just how many people are big babies. They hold on to this sense of the past is better.

The past isn't always better and by holding on to the past it stifles each and every new horror movie that comes out. You people bitch about how horror is dying and nothing original is coming out,then, in the same breath, you go and bash new original ideas because "it didn't feel like,or the 80's had,or whatever lame excuse to bash a new idea or a fresh take on an old one.
Stilesp1985 Thursday 7/14/2011 at 07:42 PM | 78666
I actually liked the original THE FLY better... The new one is really good too, but nothing beats a Vincent Price clasc.
Kidtut Monday 7/18/2011 at 01:40 AM | 78853
I actually liked the original THE FLY better... The new one is really good too, but nothing beats a Vincent Price clasc.

I love Price and all his movies,but the transformation was crazy in the remake. That was the selling point for me
Stilesp1985 Monday 7/18/2011 at 01:44 AM | 78855

I love Price and all his movies,but the transformation was crazy in the remake. That was the selling point for me

Yeah, the FX were ck in the new one!
Kidtut Thursday 7/21/2011 at 02:06 AM | 79033
an interesting list here...

I agree with:

Dawn of the Dead, although the original was def bad ass The Fly, monumental remake The Thing, though I absolutely love Thing from Another Planet Hills Have Eyes, Aja's take is a bit more enjoyable imo

Disagree with: MBV, thought the original was an awesome slasher. Liked the remake, but I dont think it came close to "killing" the original TCSM, this remake was heartless compared to the original, which, though flawed, was a creepy ass atmospheric gem NOTLD, Enjoyed Savini's take on things, but this film doesn't boast the creepy long term effect that the original did Halloween, definitely the worst pick on your list, and thats not because I'm stuck in the past, its because it's just RADICALLY inferior on too many levels to count

On the fence: TLHOTL, I wasn't crazy about either of these tbh, though the original is clearly the more impacting of the two, though the remake had a decent polish to it Sorority Row, Both shit heaps, the only thing good about the remake were like 3 kills, the rest was awful
Matt_Molgaard Friday 7/22/2011 at 09:38 PM | 79142