Forums Horror Movie Talk
Five Movies That Don't Get Enough Respect - Agree or Disagree?

Waxwork II

The Waxwork movies are nothing more then an excuse to have fun. The premise is mple, people can enter waxworks, and as we know, a waxwork can be anything from Dracula, to zombies, to the wolf man. In this one, we get to go to space, get an awesome cameo from Bruce Campbell, and just have fun with a movie that doesn't get you to think hard.

The Ruins.

Yes, the movie about killer plants made the list. I've heard many people pan the movie, and it's always based on two things. 1. The book was better, and , 2. it's about killer plants. As a horror fans I don't see why we can't just roll with any premise, I mean I even had fun with Death Bed : The Bed That Eats. Just accept the plants. And when wasn't a book better then the movie, books encompass everything, from thoughts to actions, and will always be better. The true shinning point of the movie is the paranoia, not the plants, just give it another chance.

Leatherface : The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III

It's almost hard to believe that this movie exists. The end of the second didn't leave any hope for a sequel, but it made it. I for one am glad. This movie has it all, creepy children, great atmosphere, a beautiful chainsaw, and Viggo Mortensen. Yes, Aragon is in a Texas Chainsaw movie, and as a bad guy at that. Him and the little girl make this one worth the watch alone.

My Little Eye

I don't know why this isn't on every top ten list out there. My Little Eye is one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen, and one of the most atmospheric. It's not until the last ten minutes that we get any real action, yet it will have you on the edge of your seat. Great and original camera work, awesome characters, and some of the creepiest scenes caught on camera.

Funny Games US

Funny Games US might be nothing more then a shot for shot remake of the original, but I'm glad it is. I never heard of this until I saw it on the shelf, and decided what the hell I'll rent it. Now it's what I conder one of the best movies of all time. While not scary, it will leave you feeling dirty, disgusted, and just plain not right. And aren't movies, or all art for that matter, about provoking emotion?
HorrorDaily Thursday 7/14/2011 at 03:03 AM | 78612
Funny Games was a great film, very unsettling.

It's definitely a shame that it tanked.

I've never heard of My Little Eye.

I'm going to check it out tonight if I can find it.
gummi Thursday 7/14/2011 at 03:50 AM | 78618
The remake of Funny Games (2007) is one of my all-time favorite movies. Usually i like originals much better, but lets face it, Haneke nailed it the second time around. From the casting, to the suspense, the deconstruction of the 4th wall, down to the very last scene when Watts takes a dip. I thought it was perfect in every way.

I will also say that Funny Games is the most disturbing movie i have ever seen. I've seen Gummo, Requiem for a Dream, Martyrs, and pretty much all of the cliche "watch it if you dare" titles bedes A Serbian Film. For me, Funny Games rules supreme in that category.

As for your other selections, I want to see My Little Eye, and i remember watching Waxwork 2 when i was a little boy; (still have Waxwork on VHS) but i couldn't care less if i never saw TCM3 again. I remember just wanting that movie to end.

Good List.
AgnesItsMeBilly Thursday 7/14/2011 at 04:09 PM | 78638
the waxwork movies are fun.

i've never for a second understood the hatred the ruins garnered - its fantastic and its really pretty damn faithful to the novel (keep an eye out for my film vs literature series, i'll be covering the ruins VERY soon)

i didnt enjoy tcm3

im stunned by the fact that ive never seen my little eye

i enjoyed funny games though i despised how utterly unrealistic it was - complete suspenon of disbelief MUST be applied when watching that movie, or you're gona spend 90 minutes going "come on, i'd knock that fuckers face off his head!" lol
Matt_Molgaard Friday 7/15/2011 at 12:47 AM | 78707
i enjoyed funny games though i despised how utterly unrealistic it was - complete suspenon of disbelief MUST be applied when watching that movie, or you're gona spend 90 minutes going "come on, i'd knock that fuckers face off his head!" lol Its funny you say that, because thats kinda a big part of what Haneke was going for. It isn't a coincidence that both of the antagonists in both verons of the film were not well built or intimidating. They are polite the whole time. In any other movie, the father character would ealy take on one or both of the villains during the third act, and thats kind of what you're expecting in Funny Games. Haneke won't give that satisfaction to the viewer.

Even towards the end when Watts DOES fight back, Its irrelevant, because Haneke is in full control of his movie and he makes it abundantly clear with the infamous video remote scene. There was NO WAY that the family was going to survive, under any circumstances.

Its really interesting stuff, imo. And i actually kinda felt the same way you did, but thats part of what the director wanted.
AgnesItsMeBilly Friday 7/15/2011 at 03:12 AM | 78728
I definitely agree with you about LEATHERFACE, it is my second favorite in the series (after the original), and I loved Leatherface's mask and chainsaw in this one! My favorite scene is when he used the handheld spelling/learning game and keeps typing "FOOD"...
Kidtut Sunday 7/17/2011 at 01:28 AM | 78816
I've always been a huge advocate of 'My Little Eye'. One of the best horror movies to come out in the last couple decades. Creepy as hell.
MichaelMyersBrother Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 07:41 AM | 78939
The only film that is under-appreciated from this list is TCM 3. Its a fun movie and Leatherface is ck. Im surprised its not more popular. Great cast as well. As for the others? I think their level of respect is right on. None are clascs, and none of them are disrespected either. They have their small followings, and I cannot see a reason why they should garner any more attention. FUNNY GAMES is critically acclaimed by some, but in reality neither veron is ground breaking or trend setting. These kind of movies get lost in the shuffle along with the dozens that are just like them.
ny ghoul Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 04:22 PM | 78948