Forums Horror Movie Talk
Three "Guilty Pleasure" Horror Titles That Are Really Awesome!

We all have them. These films are either widely disliked by critics, tanked in theaters, went D2DVD, or never even had a proper release; but for whatever reason, WE STILL LOVE THEM!Army Of Darkness - Lets for a minute imagine that Evil Dead 1 & 2 never existed and that Army of Darkness was a stand-alone title. (OH THE HORROR) Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE Army of Darkness; But i've watched it many times with unbiased people who all tell me the same thing - that its one of the worst/corniest movies they have ever seen.

"The names Ash - Housewares"
Bad Taste - Lets be honest, here. If Braindead didn't gain the cult following it has, Bad Taste never would've seen daylight. (and probably with good reason, LOL) Well lets just be glad that Dead Alive DID rise to its cult status, which allowed many of us to dig up this little known gem. The title of this movie fits it perfectly, as its truly - in bad taste. Look no further than Peter Jackson's character scooping up his own brains off the dirty ground, only to stuff them back in his noggin and tie it off with a belt. BAHAHAHAHA (Clasc)

A young and inspired Peter Jackson
Cabin Fever - Where to start? Ade from the cool and relatively original idea of there not being a true antagonist, what does this movie have to offer? Horrible acting, gratuitous gore and sex, a little boy who knows karate and loves pancakes, the dude from Boy Meets World, and thats about it! Luckily, i don't think Eli Roth wanted the film to possess anything else. Cabin Fever is an intentional homage to all of the horrible B-movies that came before it. So really, Its the ultimate guilty pleasure. Its all of the guilty pleasures rolled into one.

"Relax man - just party"OK, those are 3 of my favorite "guilty pleasures" when it comes to horror . Believe me, there are countless more that i could add to the list, But i'd like to hear what you guys think. I just joined this forum, and i love what i've seen so far. A lot of great lists and discusons going on and i really just wanted to add to it. Thanks for reading and don't forget to mention your favorite guilty pleasure titles below.
AgnesItsMeBilly Thursday 7/14/2011 at 08:27 PM | 78676
I agree 110%! Great movies and while I can understand some not liking them for various reasons they are all must watches especially in a group setting. Great list!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 7/14/2011 at 11:44 PM | 78694
I really don't see how these are guilty pleasures. I mean, it's Army Of Darkness, I thought EVERYONE loved AOD :)
HorrorDaily Thursday 7/14/2011 at 11:46 PM | 78695
I really don't see how these are guilty pleasures. I mean, it's Army Of Darkness, I thought EVERYONE loved AOD :)

I agree, I wouldn't conder ANY of these guilty pleasures. The only one that comes close would be Bad Taste IMO, and thats largely due to the difficulty finding the film over the years (its obviously eaer to obtain now)...but yeah, I don't know many AT ALL who dislike Army or Cabin Fever - two kick ass movies IMO.

now had you said something like....Van Helng - I could get behind you on this one! lol
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 7/14/2011 at 11:57 PM | 78697
I think the House Of Horror guys don't like AOD
DoubleshotJ Friday 7/15/2011 at 12:02 AM | 78698
I'd have to say my "guilty pleasure" would have to be ALL the Final Destination films. I love 'em!!!
Anonymous Friday 7/15/2011 at 12:16 AM | 78700
I'd have to say my "guilty pleasure" would have to be ALL the Final Destination films. I love 'em

the first one was fucking BRILLIANT.
Matt_Molgaard Friday 7/15/2011 at 12:36 AM | 78705
I do not find movies guilty pleasures because if you like them and people hate them its all opinions personally reviews and critics do not crowd my judgment myself does.
hm4life Friday 7/15/2011 at 12:43 AM | 78706
Bad 80s movies with small animatronic /puppet creatures.... Critters, Goulies, Gremlins, Puppet Master, Demonic Toys, Troll... All really guilty pleasures.

People who hate AOD probably can't just "enjoy" movies... Sad.
R-Awesome85 Friday 7/15/2011 at 01:09 AM | 78711
I am obviously in the minority here.

I have tried to watch Army of Darkness several times, but I can never make it through.

The first time, I was mply disappointed.

It is not really the Evil Dead.

Later, I just found it somewhat annoying.

I have no problem turning off the filters/critical mind and enjoying a movie.

I have done this recently with Hobo with a Shotgun which I really enjoyed.

To a lesser extent, I did it with Albino Farm last night.

I can get behind Bad Taste and Cabin Fever.
babyfivetongues Friday 7/15/2011 at 02:17 AM | 78719
Thanks to whoever made my thread look much nicer :)

@bnizzle

I would definitely conder Final Destination 3 a guilty pleasure of mine. Good call.
AgnesItsMeBilly Friday 7/15/2011 at 02:31 AM | 78722
I've got a really good one... House of the Dead!

I don't know why, but I enjoy that movie lol
RHOADES Friday 7/15/2011 at 06:55 AM | 78736
I think SLITHER should be on this list. It's not the greatest horror film or the prettiest but it's pretty funny.
Sephit Friday 7/15/2011 at 06:36 PM | 78755
"Thanks to whoever made my thread look much nicer :)"

@ Nick

Your welcome!!
Anonymous Friday 7/15/2011 at 06:58 PM | 78756
Mine is definitley, hands down, the One Missed Call remake. It's horrible, I admit, but I found it entertaining...and I can actually stay awake through it. I have tried watching the original many times and I always fall asleep.
Ryze Monday 7/18/2011 at 03:02 AM | 78871
Piranha Hands down I just LOVE this movie.
BloodyAdored Wednesday 7/20/2011 at 02:21 PM | 79000
I can confidently say that one of my most guilty pleasures when it comes to horror films, and has been for a while now, is the 1976 insect horror "Squirm." Although it was roasted on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 before, I love the setting and that gritty, vintage 70s feel that it possesses.

Someone even mentioned the 80s film "Troll" above, and I can also say that can be added to my list of guilty pleasures as well.
buried13 Thursday 7/21/2011 at 03:19 AM | 79048
Wow, I have lots of them...I found Slumber Party Massacre II to be highly entertaining, TerrorVion was wickedly cheesy, The Tripper was a neat balance of humor and scares, Shocker was an awesome metal/horror combination, Dead Heat was just incredible, I really enjoyed Escape from L.A., 976-EVIL II was scary, campy, and action-packed all in one, Two Thousand Maniacs! was so ridiculous I had to enjoy it, The Keep was an incredible mix of ghts and sounds, Evil Laugh was an entertaining, stereotypical slasher, April Fool's Day was a stereotypical slasher with a crazy twist, and there are so many more I'm probably forgetting.
ObscureCinema101 Thursday 7/21/2011 at 11:32 PM | 79086