Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Fantastic Flesh: The Art of Make-Up EFX Review

Documentary lovers rejoice: Fantastic Flesh is a thoroughly enjoyable and quite informative piece of film. As viewers we get the chance to explore the inner workings and past accomplishments by the famed K.N.B. EFX Group, and it's really rather amazing. The company, formed in 1988 by Gregory Nicotero, Robert Kurtzman (who has nce parted ways) and Howard Berger has had a hand in some of the most recognizable features on the market today.

Not only are we treated to a few inder secrets (very few), we do get the chance to hear from just about every key player in the horror genre. From John Carpenter to Wes Craven to Robert Rodriguez and more, the experts are on-hand to share their experiences with special FX and the men who make them come to life.

Expect to hear details regarding some of the most famous horror films out there; Rob Bottin has plenty to discuss, including his work on John Carpenter’s clasc The Thing, The Howling and Total Recall. Nicotero sheds inght as to how he made his way in the buness (thanks Mr. Romero!) and even Dick Smith, whom many inders conder the greatest FX man in the buness enlightens viewers with some noteworthy information.

It’s best not to expect the grandest scope of coverage condering the picture runs a mere 58 minutes, but believe me when I say that some of the most important genre works are explored in the film. In fact, we’re even transported back to the wonders of Lon Chaney and his diverse skillset; this was a man who could not only bring a character to life courtesy of a script, we’re talking about a man who utilized every trick in the book to create his haunting visages (there are some fun bits of information about Chaney’s self-made transformation for the iconic role of the Phantom of the Opera).

While you’ll travel the genre, and all its gruesome sub-parts, the film is unique for taking a closer look at pictures that don’t fall into the horror category. Planet of the Apes is well explored, as is The Chronicles of Narnia and a choice selection of other fantastical, yet not terrifying films.

Anyone who has ever expressed interest in special FX, this film is for you. You’re not bound to walk away the master that Tom Savini is, but he may toss a tip or two in your direction. Expect plenty of inder feedback and some awesome examples of practical effects, as well as some information (and discuson) about the increangly popular usage of CGI.

While I wouldn’t have minded seeing a wider range of cinema covered in this little treasure, I’m not the least bit underwhelmed by the final product. This is a documentary well worth watching!

Score: B+
Matt_Molgaard Friday 7/15/2011 at 02:38 PM | 78741
Great article, I've enjoyed all of your opinions in your articles as of late....especially your Halloween II article..

This is a great documentary....I'm a HUGE fan of practical effects and KNB is high on my list favorites and Rob Bottin, The Thing..amazing..

The one thing I thought when I first saw the cover to this was..when did Hugh Grant get his face messed up in a Horror movie?? (yes I know it's not Hugh Grant)

We need more documentaries like this!
NightShape Friday 7/15/2011 at 04:10 PM | 78745
I bought this hoping that it would be a "how-to" video... I really want to be in the horror FX buness when i get out of school. I was disappointed that there was next to nothing about HOW it is done, but I enjoyed the interviews.
Kidtut Saturday 7/16/2011 at 05:21 PM | 78786
I bought this hoping that it would be a "how-to" video... I really want to be in the horror FX buness when i get out of school. I was disappointed that there was next to nothing about HOW it is done, but I enjoyed the interviews.

its def not a hbow to, but there are some awesome books out there that u can get on ebay pretty cheap
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 7/17/2011 at 02:01 AM | 78817