Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Hobo With A Shotgun (2011)

Now, today is the first non-horror movie I have reviewed, but it's a call back to clasc exploitation films, and it's been on every horror fans list of movies to see, so I don't feel guilty about this. Before I get into this I want to say, I have not watched any of the special features yet, so I can't get into the nitty gritty about how they pulled this off.

The story is quite plain, but that's fine, all we want is to see a hobo get a shotgun. The story that's there

follows an unnamed hobo played by Rutger Hauer ( how they got him involved is a mystery to me, but I'm damn glad), who hops a train into Hope Town. Misleading name if I ever heard one, Hope Town is run by drugs, and violence, and nothing else. For example, we see many people being beat and murdered, children being abducted, and plenty of prostitutes. Even every cop is dirty. There's no hope left in the town.The Hobo wants nothing more then to buy a lawnmower, and make money cutting grass, a mple dream. But when he finally has enough money, he has to make the choice between a shotgun to clean up the town, or a lawnmower to make money. nce this isn't called Hobo With A Lawnmower, I think we all know the choice that's made.The acting is pretty bad, but it's perfect for the movie, so it's an odd line it walks. A lot of over-acting takes place, but for the most part, it's fun, and nce the movie's so over the top, why shouldn't the acting be? Speaking of over the top, the gore. Jesus, this movie makes Inde look like a walk through the park. It's got that 70s gore going on, you know, constant squirting, dismemberment, etc. Every bit of violence has over the top gore to go with it, and if your a fan of practical effects, you'll love it.

While I liked the movie, I had a hard time watching it. It was filmed in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, a city I use to spend quite a lot of my time in, nce I just lived across the bridge in Halifax. I felt the

violence really resonated with me, it felt like the way the city has been going lately, just a little more over the top.

That's the key with this movie, Over The Top, and if you don't like your films to just go balls to the wall you won't like this one.

I'm not going to recommend this one to everyone, there is a lot of disturbing scenes involving kids, and the gore is just constant. But if your a fan of dark, over the top, and gritty movies, or just plain our exploitation films, check it out.

Score - 75% Gore - 10/10
HorrorDaily Friday 7/15/2011 at 05:16 PM | 78750
I loved this movie. It was like a campier and gorier veron of The Exterminator, only better. Like Cannibal Holocaust, it's an extremely violent movie, but both have one of the most peaceful opening themes ever (even if Hobo's is a redone veron of the theme to Mark of the Devil). I hope they make a sequel.
ObscureCinema101 Monday 8/01/2011 at 08:51 PM | 79693