Forums Horror Movie Talk
8 'AFTER DARK' Horrorfest Films To Almost Die For

I don’t think anyone would contemplate biting if I attempted to sell the idea that After Dark’s Horrorfest series was a fantastic collection of artwork. Nearly every film to be featured in four years was torn apart by critics, and for once, those critics were right: Horrorfest is a miserable series with very, very few gems buried deep beneath thick layers of mud.

Knowing this, I began contemplating: of these specific horrific flicks, what eight are closest to bona fide quality productions? I’ve seen every feature released under the Horrorfest banner, and honestly, it was challenging to pick eight of these movies that I honestly enjoyed.

Nevertheless, I managed to sort through the thicket, and low-and-behold, after dulling my machete on heaps of dense trash, I uncovered eight fun features that I’d conder reviting in the future.

Before I get into my list, let me just say I in no way, expect everyone to agree with me on this piece. It was challenging compiling this list, and if I’m finding myself fighting this topic, I imagine many of you will as well. Also conder that when you’re dealing with a batch of mediocrity the slightest differential in personal preference can lead to drastically differing opinions.

I want to throw in a few quick nods to some features that nearly made the cut:

Dark Ride (A goofy, but gory little flick that's certainly entertaining upon initial viewing.) The Reeds (Stellar first half that loses steam as the big reveal is unveiled.) Tooth and Nail (This one had all the potential in the world, but came up a bit short in the technical talent department.) The Abandoned (Some terrific atmosphere here!)

Matt_Molgaard Sunday 7/17/2011 at 11:30 PM | 78845
anyone else having trouble seeing the images in this thread? (I've replaced them twice, still having some issues :( )

EDIT: NVM, it's fixed, I'm retarded at times lol
Matt_Molgaard Monday 7/18/2011 at 02:18 AM | 78859
What about The Hamiltons..... Best indie film i've seen in a while.
Mr. Huitt Monday 7/18/2011 at 03:06 AM | 78872
Yea I also liked The Hamiltons.
DoubleshotJ Monday 7/18/2011 at 03:17 AM | 78873
i actually didnt enjoy that one. I thought the pacing was terrible, to be completely honest, it was a little tough for me to stay awake through it

just wasnt for me i suppose
Matt_Molgaard Monday 7/18/2011 at 03:53 AM | 78875
I feel like Mulberry Street could have been better. The whole 'turning into rats' thing just seemed weird to me. I would have preferred it, had they been zombies.

But overall, I agree. I'm most often disappointed severely with these films, but you got the good ones right on.
nolifefan Monday 7/18/2011 at 01:55 PM | 78887
What about Dread?

I've heard good things about it and have been meaning to see it...
RHOADES Wednesday 7/20/2011 at 06:27 AM | 78981
What about Dread?

I've heard good things about it and have been meaning to see it...

one of the flicks i anticipated most, and was ultimately REALLY disappointed in. I haven't read Barkers story yet, but the movie itself was dreadfully boring (you see what I did there lol).

You want to talk about a film that suffers from pacing issues, this one is it, unfortunately.
Matt_Molgaard Wednesday 7/20/2011 at 02:30 PM | 79001