Forums Horror Movie Talk
PITT, DEPP, DICAPRIO, ANISTON & HANKS: 5 Top Actors Who Made Their Film Debut In Horror

The horror movies that we all love so much have spawned some of the greatest characters that we've seen on the big screen ever. Freddy, Jason, Chucky, Hannibal, and Michael are just a few examples of the many names that can be associated with the horror genre. But there are a few other names of some well known actors that can also be identified by our beloved genre, mainly because these "top dogs" in Hollywood all made the big screen debut in horror films.

As we all know Tom Hanks is one of the most prolific actors of our time. He has starred in many of today's Blockbusters hits such as, Forrest Gump, Castaway, Philadelphia, Big and Saving Private Ryan. He also provided his voice to the lovable "Woody" in all three Toy Story films. But one thing that a lot of people may not be aware of - is that Hank's first major movie role was in a low budget slasher called He Knows You're Alone, which was captured on film way back in 1980.

Hanks had a very small role as the character "Elliot" who was suppose to be "killed off" in the film. Instead the filmmakers opted to "let him live," because they liked him so much.

Long before Brad Pitt was receiving Academy Award nominations for his roles in 12 Monkeys and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button he made his film debut in the 1989 cheesy horror film Cutting Class. Pitt played "Dwight," a high school basketball star whose girlfriend was being pursued by a former mental patient named "Brian." Soon after being released, a series of grisly murders began occuring. Who could be killing all those innocent people? We got the answers, but we'll never tell!

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2372/pittf.jpg" class="photoborder" />Leonardo DiCaprio is certainly no slouch when it comes to starring in "Titanic" hits. But low and behold Leo also extended his talents to the horror industry when he appeared in his first film which was a direct to video sequel to the movie Critters. DiCaprio played the role of Josh, the stepson of a heinous real estate developer whose apartment building just happened to be completely invaded by those menacing Critters from outer space. The only question is - does Leo become food to those nasty balls of fur? Rent Critters 3 to find out.

By the time this next actress turned 24 she had almost called it quits in the acting world. But instead she chose to brandish her tenacity in this industry. Consequently Jennifer Aniston persted through all of Hollywood's "road blocks" and is now one of the most recognizable, and well-liked actresses on screen.

Aniston's first feature debut was a low-budget cult clasc flick entitled Leprechaun. In the film she plays the character of "Tory Reding," a city girl from L.A, who moves into a small house in North Dakota with her father, but what they don't know is - there's a baneful "little" secret locked away in a crate deep inde their basement. Needless to say, the box is accidently opened and Aniston spends much of her time trying to elude from the pint-zed killing machine other wise known as "the Leprechaun."

Before Tim Burton ever worked with this next actor he had already began to fashion his film debut in a horror franchise that is still as prominent today as it was back in 1984. Johnny Depp played "Glen Lantz," the boyfriend of the heroine, "Nancy Thompson" in Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street. Unfortunately for Depp he became one of the innumerable victims that fell under the bladed glove of Freddy Krueger. Depp remains one of the hottest tickets today in Hollywood, and to think he got his big break starring in a horror flick.

Anonymous Monday 7/18/2011 at 11:53 PM | 78920
Jeremy Renner anyone? lol He starred in Dahmer which the director of The Hurt Locker saw and was impressed by his acting so she casted him in her movie. Now he is appearing in many roles for different movies. Hes inching his way up there lol.
BloodyAdored Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 06:31 PM | 78955
Holy Crap! I would have never known that about Jeremy Renner. I was wondering why he always looked familiar when I saw him in The Hurt Locker and The Town, but I was always to lazy to look up his bio. Now if I could just squeeze his picture in with the rest....LOL.

Thanks for the F.Y.IAnybody else got any big name celebs to add?
Anonymous Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 07:05 PM | 78957
I thought Kevin Bacon debuted in Friday The 13th but i was wrong.
AgnesItsMeBilly Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 08:42 PM | 78960
I think Kevin Bacon got his start in Animal House.

Anonymous Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 11:34 PM | 78965
Holy Crap! I would have never known that about Jeremy Renner. I was wondering why he always looked familiar when I saw him in The Hurt Locker and The Town

Yay! =D I just happen to know a lot about him because I go to the same college he went to lol

Its hard to think of actors who started in horror so I don't blame you! If I think of any I'll you all know

BloodyAdored Wednesday 7/20/2011 at 03:34 AM | 78974
More I could think of...

Jamie Lee Curtis He started off acting in The Devils Rain and Carrie
BloodyAdored Wednesday 7/20/2011 at 04:32 AM | 78976