Forums Horror Movie Talk
10 Werewolf Flicks To Howl For

The werewolf sub-genre has always been a sketchy niche; for every quality lycanthropic picture to hit the public market, there are a dozen shoddy films drenched in embarrasng special effects, perched atop scripts too shaky to support a ngle butterfly.

It’s actually rather interesting to note how many werewolf films fail to leave a lasting impreson. We’ve been familiar with the ideology for too many decades too count, and the sub-genre certainly had some strong showings in the 1940’s. So, given the technological advancements we’ve seen over the last 60 plus years, why is it that filmmakers fumble with the hairy beasts so often?

Honestly, I have no answer to offer you.

There are plenty of extremely capable actors in the field, as well as a multitude of finely refined effects practitioners. As I’ve already noted, technology has reached a high enough standard to produce any imagery too complex for practical execution, and there is certainly no shortage of talented screenwriters in the buness. Condering these facts, I’m left to ponder the reason behind filmmakers’ continuously botched werewolf offerings.

While this little mystery rivals the trivia surrounding the Bermuda Triangle, genre fans are left with little to do, other than celebrate the few fine werewolf features already in existence.

Here now is a look at 10 of the best werewolf features available today!

10. The Werewolf (1956): This film didn’t receive the warm welcome that such clascs as The Wolf Man or Werewolf of London did, but it’s arguably superior, if not at least the equal to each. A fantastic pace and unique approach to the origin of the werewolf set this one apart from most.

Rather than being attacked by a random wolf in the middle of a fog covered forest, our poor unsuspecting victim is actually injected with an experimental drug that transforms him from your average man, to your savage beast. It’s a fun approach that bends your typical cliché werewolf rules. It’s just unfortunate that more filmmakers don’t attempt to think this far out of the box more often.

08. Wolf (1994): The critical embrace this modernized reboot earned wasn’t unanimously potive, to put it kindly. Many pundits panned the film, citing pacing problems and plot holes as the film’s key weak points. To a certain extent, I agree, but there are some strength’s to the picture that help negate the obvious deficiencies.

The biggest reward Wolf has to offer is an absolutely superb climax that pits Jack Nicholson’s character Will Randall against rival Stewart Swinton (portrayed by James Spader). These two collide in animalistic fashion to shut the feature down, and I’ll be damned if the final showdown doesn’t wreak of throwback Universal action.

06. The Howling (1981): I can hear the complaints of this placement already; plenty will argue The Howling deserves a higher potion on this list, but I disagree. The film is a lot of fun, and has a terrific cast that includes legendary genre contributor Dee Wallace, and her late husband Christopher Stone, but in all honesty, John Sayles’ screenplay feels absurdly sloppy. I’ve never read Gary Brandner’s novel, but I imagine it’s a far superior story.

Hate on this call all you want, but The Howling, as enjoyable as it is, has always been a bit overrated.

04. The Wolf Man (1941): I’m certain the pedant’s will cry a river after seeing The Wolf Man place fourth on this list, but, ade from the nostalgic value attached to the film, it’s a bit on the dull de.

Curt odmak’s screenplay is primarily drama driven, and while it’s mesmerizing to watch Lon Chaney Jr. juggle an array of emotions, and a lot of fun to see the iconic effects maestro Jack Pierce work his trantion magic, the film as a whole is slightly boring.

Often viewed as the perennial “best werewolf film made”, The Wolf Man has been outdone, but not by many.

02. Dog Soldiers (2002): Neil Marshall’s first feature length horror picture is an absolute homerun. Sadly, due to Marshall’s limited résumé, too many have missed this unique take on werewolves.

There’s nothing insanely profound about soldiers running into vicious man eating monsters in the wilderness, yet for some reason, prior to Dog Soldiers, it’s never really been done effectively. It’s tough to find a glaring hole in this picture, and there are too many strength’s to list in such a condensed piece; I’ll mply say this: do not miss Dog Soldiershttp://youtu.be/OmwT4k9Drco

01. An American Werewolf in London (1981): John Landis has been contributing to the genre for a full 30 years. Make no mistake though: it’s his first serious venture into the genre, An American Werewolf in London that still defines his career (believe me, that's no insult).

This tale of victimized American’s traveling in rural London is damn near flawless. In fact, the film is so air-tight it’s tough to plot a point to begin praise. The special effects still hold up today, the details of the story are well thought out and delivered with serious precion, David Naughton is priceless as David Kessler, who somehow depicts humor, excitement and manic behavior without stretching the core of his characters personality, and, to top it off, there’s more replay value to this particular film than the vast majority of genre flicks.

An American Werewolf in London will never be forgotten, and may very well never be surpassed as the greatest werewolf film in history.
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 02:18 AM | 78925
Bravo Matt! Couldn't agree more with this list! HUGE AWIL fan! All terrific movies and a sub-genre that I personally love! Great read!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 02:33 AM | 78927
Great list!!
Michael Aspinwall Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 02:56 AM | 78928
Great list but .. no Bad Moon!? lol
attitudeinc Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 03:05 AM | 78930
Good list, although I would add Wolfen in there somewhere.

I'm one of the people that would put The Howling way higher, actually number 1 for me.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but the clascs don't make any of my top ten lists.

I know that most people would gasp at the idea of leaving The Wolf Man (1941) off of a list like this, but by today's standards I just don't think it's very entertaining.

The acting from that era is a real turn off for me; it always feels so phony, like they're reading from cue cards.

I'll always love the look of the clasc monsters, but the movies themselves just aren't my cup of tea.
gummi Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 06:29 AM | 78936

I'm one of the people that would put The Howling way higher, actually number 1 for me.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but the clascs don't make any of my top ten lists.

I know that most people would gasp at the idea of leaving The Wolf Man (1941) off of a list like this, but by today's standards I just don't think it's very entertaining.

The acting from that era is a real turn off for me; it always feels so phony, like they're reading from cue cards.

I'll always love the look of the clasc monsters, but the movies themselves just aren't my cup of tea. I agree man, I loved The Wolfman as a kid but I'm sure if I were to watch it today, I would end up falling asleep. That being said I would actually put The howling as 10, (Haven't seen Wolfen) and maybe remove a film for Bad Moon. I thought the wolf in Bad Moon was bad ass! I knew that AWIL would be number one and I was hoping that Dog Soldiers would be number 2 so I'm pretty stoked on this list. Bravo!
Sephit Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 07:07 AM | 78937
Underworld is a soulless shit of a film.
Sourfacedbastard Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 09:40 AM | 78940

I'll always love the look of the clasc monsters, but the movies themselves just aren't my cup of tea.

Interesting, I think Wolfen is actually a really terrible film. The highlight is the cast and a few cool prosthetics, beyond that... its just terrible for me

pretty much dealing with some almost regular wolves (with predatoresque heat vion, though it predates predator) who decide to set up shop in the projects and kill a handful of people OFF SCREEN (literally, i think every ngle kill was off screen lmao)

I think I'd need to stretch this one out to top 25-50 to find any justification in including that one in a list.

I can understand your feelings on clascs, i think, either you've got a serious taste for them, or you don't. If you want to see a pretty stimulating clasc, check out both Invaon of the Body Snatchers and the Thing from Another World - Both are among my all-time favorites, and they move at a stealthy enough pace to keep you into them.
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 01:29 PM | 78941
Very good list..An American Werewolf in London is in it's rightful place..There have always been people that are either on the Howling de or the AWIL de and like this article states, The Howling is very overrated..The transformation scene is cool and the Werewolf itself looks creepy but in the end AWIL takes the prize for both of those as well..

Dog Soldiers being at the number 2 spot makes me VERY happy..I wrote an article a while back about New Horror Clascs with Dog Soldiers being on that list..

GInger Snaps is a very unique take on the Werewolf genre but I prefer Ginger Snaps 2 to the original..

I do agree that Bad Moon should get a nod even though the acting isn't that great..I always thought the Werewolf was really cool looking

Even though it's not a movie, I'm going to throw in Werewolf: The T.V. Show..Rick Baker created the degns of the Werewolf and that show was really dark, especially the opening scenes of the pilot episode..let's get a petition gned to finally get that show released on DVD..some of the bands that had muc appear on that show have been long rumored to be holding up any DVD releases due to royalties..

On a de note I do like Underworld..interesting take on the Vampire/Werewolf relationship..
NightShape Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 03:51 PM | 78945
THE WOLFMAN imo should be #1 because it's the OG. Probably the best of the Universal monster films (along with Creature.....). Its the film that started it all. After that I'd have AMERICAN WEREWOLF in LONDON followed by THE HOWLING. The rest can really be mixed in different orders. WOLFEN should be in the top list for sure though. Stellar cast and creepy!
ny ghoul Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 04:18 PM | 78947
THE WOLFMAN imo should be #1 because it's the OG. Probably the best of the Universal monster films (along with Creature.....). Its the film that started it all. After that I'd have AMERICAN WEREWOLF in LONDON followed by THE HOWLING. The rest can really be mixed in different orders. WOLFEN should be in the top list for sure though. Stellar cast and creepy

actually The Wolf Man isn't the OG, Werewolf of London predates it by more than a half decade.

I still stand by my opinion on Wolfen; a miserable feature that offers little more than an impresve cast.

Appreciate the inght though folks!
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 7/19/2011 at 05:05 PM | 78951
THE WOLFMAN imo should be #1 because it's the OG. Probably the best of the Universal monster films (along with Creature.....). Its the film that started it all. After that I'd have AMERICAN WEREWOLF in LONDON followed by THE HOWLING. The rest can really be mixed in different orders. WOLFEN should be in the top list for sure though. Stellar cast and creepy

actually The Wolf Man isn't the OG, Werewolf of London predates it by more than a half decade.

I still stand by my opinion on Wolfen; a miserable feature that offers little more than an impresve cast.

Appreciate the inght though folks

"Werewolf of London" predates "The Wolf Man"

thats true, but I am speaking of in terms of influence, effect, place in history, etc. WOL is a creepier film, but it is in no way superior to TWM and you cant compare them. THE WOLF MAN is the more influential and iconic film. It will always be THE iconic werewolf film.

As far as WOLFEN goes, opinions are subjective. Your incluon of WOLF made me scratch my head a bit, it was a very weak film that was overshadowed by its two stars.
ny ghoul Wednesday 7/20/2011 at 02:30 AM | 78970

Appreciate the inght though folks

"Werewolf of London" predates "The Wolf Man"

thats true, but I am speaking of in terms of influence, effect, place in history, etc. WOL is a creepier film, but it is in no way superior to TWM and you cant compare them. THE WOLF MAN is the more influential and iconic film. It will always be THE iconic werewolf film.

As far as WOLFEN goes, opinions are subjective. Your incluon of WOLF made me scratch my head a bit, it was a very weak film that was overshadowed by its two stars.

looking at the films from an influential standpoint, i completely see your points. However, this list wasn't so much about the influence of each film as opposed to the overall enjoyability of the films. The Wolf Man is a lot of fun, and its dipped in nostalgia, but as I stated, I personally have been far more entertained by a few other werewolf flicks.

As for Wolf, it earned its spot on this list based on its performances and a KILLER finale; Wolfen had the performances, but was a really poor (and ridiculous) attempt at an actual story, and the overall execution was miserable for me personally, not to mention the climax was terrible IMO.
Matt_Molgaard Wednesday 7/20/2011 at 03:06 PM | 79003
Would have def put bad moon ahead of underworld... To me underworld seemed more like an action movie that had vamps and wolfys in it...

Not a big fan of that. However who can argure that lver Bullet fits in the top 5 somewhere. Very good movie imo!

--Ryan
Harry Warden Thursday 7/21/2011 at 12:06 AM | 79019
Would have def put bad moon ahead of underworld... To me underworld seemed more like an action movie that had vamps and wolfys in it...

Not a big fan of that. However who can argure that lver Bullet fits in the top 5 somewhere. Very good movie imo!

--Ryan

I can see where you're coming from, but it's a challenging stance to take imo.

If I judged these flicks on how much they do or dont crossover into other genres, and eliminated those that really blend multiple elements, and let horror fall on the backburner, I'd have to eliminate The Wolf Man, as its far more drama - dealing with talbot's inner conflicts - than horror. Dog Soldiers flirts with the action/war genre's. Teen Wolf is more comedy than horror. You see my point.

I agree though that theres enough action to the movie to conder it less horror than action, but i feel it's a quality film that pulled down a lot of unwarranted negativity; it's a fun flick.
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 7/21/2011 at 12:24 AM | 79020
I loved how the werewolf in Bad Moon looked & thought the transformation was awesome & unique.
attitudeinc Thursday 7/21/2011 at 01:59 AM | 79028
I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF starring a young Michael Landon was also a fun film. I saw it many moons ago with my uncle who is a huge fan of 50's and 60's horror. Also, I dont know if there are any other KOLCHAK fans here (BRILLIANT TV SERIES!!!) but the "Werewolf" episode was one of my favs. The transformation starts @ the 1:45 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w0bPq_w ... re=related
ny ghoul Thursday 7/21/2011 at 01:31 PM | 79058
I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF starring a young Michael Landon was also a fun film. I saw it many moons ago with my uncle who is a huge fan of 50's and 60's horror. Also, I dont know if there are any other KOLCHAK fans here (BRILLIANT TV SERIES!!!) but the "Werewolf" episode was one of my favs. The transformation starts @ the 1:45 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w0bPq_w ... re=related

Carl Kolchak was the SHIT!! You earn tremendous cool points for even knowing what Kolchak is! lmao
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 7/21/2011 at 07:49 PM | 79077
Or how about My Mom's A Werewolf?

I can't remember most of the cast but John Saxon played the bad guy werewolf!
attitudeinc Friday 7/22/2011 at 02:27 AM | 79097
Or how about My Mom's A Werewolf?

I can't remember most of the cast but John Saxon played the bad guy werewolf

you know...i'm not sure i've seen it!
Matt_Molgaard Friday 7/22/2011 at 04:38 PM | 79133
Good list and good write up. The werewolf film will live on forever in some shape form and fashion.
aceofspades70 Tuesday 7/26/2011 at 11:09 PM | 79326