Forums Horror Movie Reviews
RED WHITE & BLUE - Review

RED WHITE & BLUE (2010)

(beware of spoilers)

2011 is a great year for revenge flicks and stuff. Next to decent stuff like "I Saw The Devil" and "7 Days", there were at least 3 movies from that genre that impressed me so much, I just had to give them 10 out of 10:

the "I Spit On Your Grave" remake,

"The Loved Ones" ...and this one, "Red White & Blue", a movie so intense, so uncomproming and merciless, it left me completely speechless.

The movie starts off dirty and a bit raunchy, but also quite bleak and depresng. With all the dreary settings and joyless sex scenes, it almost feels like it takes place in an Harmony-Korine-universe

In the second half it suddenly gets extremely emotional and tragic with a few quite upsetting scenes. By that time, I felt that something awful was coming up this way - but...christ, I wasn't prepared for what was actually coming up in the third and final act.

Imagine the savage ruthlessness of movies like "Irreverble" or "Martyrs", combined with the harshness of Michael Haneke and Lars von Trier and the shocking tragedy of "Martin" and "Animal Kingdom", and you might understand how hard-hitting the finale is. By the time the credits rolled, I was a complete emotional wreck.

With a few incredible acting performances (an impresve Noah Taylor, a stunning Amanda Fuller), a brilliant, depresng piano score, fabulous dialogue, great editing and some gorgeous cinematography, this is by all means one of THE must-see movies of this year.

If you want something really unsettling and disturbing, then there's really no way around this Indie-masterpiece. Outstanding!

10/10

http://www.horrormoviediary.net
maynardmorrissey Thursday 7/21/2011 at 07:27 AM | 79055
RW&B is a dirty, gritty film that will leave you feeling like you need a shower afterwards. Overall its good but its plagued by a few things. On a technical de, there are some issues such as the directors line being broken, and it wasn't done in a creative way ala Scorsese. Second, ade from the two leads, much of the acting was bad, mediocre at best.

My final quip, and this is just a personal take, is that even in a gritty depresve film I personally need to "like" one character. If i don't grow to care for a character, then the film fails for me. Even the most sordid and depresng films like IRREVERBLE, or I SAW THE DEVIL (where evil arguably wins) feature a character that you grow to care about. I didnt give to shits about the people in this movie.

Also, for fans of brutality and gore, this film cuts away from any such action. I dont know if they are featured as extras o the dvd. Its worth a watch, but not to buy for your collection. 5/10
ny ghoul Thursday 7/21/2011 at 01:37 PM | 79059