Forums Off Topic
Forum Update

BREAKING NEWS!LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT - Starring Lon Chaney Clasc Horror Film LOST for decades You have read it right, the most notorious and sought after film in cinema history, the film that was thought lost forever in an MGM film vault fire decades ago LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT starring Lon Chaney, has been found And, it was found by the Horror Drunx own investigative journalist, D TERROR-lost motion-picture!
Johnny Bisco Thursday 7/24/2008 at 02:46 AM | 16299
If this is true this is beyond huge!!
lblambert Thursday 7/24/2008 at 02:53 AM | 16301
oh its true i got the inde scoop!now its a matter of whether or not i can get accesss to it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny Bisco Thursday 7/24/2008 at 02:54 AM | 16302
oh its true i got the inde scoop!now its a matter of whether or not i can get accesss to it You better get that sucker Bisco!!
CartyParty Thursday 7/24/2008 at 03:22 AM | 16303
Well I did a search on this and the first thing that came up was this story. And at the top it clearly says....

A HORROR HOAX!! http://www.horror-wood.com/london.htm

Not that I doubt you Bisco. But none of the other monster forums are buzzing over this at all. This would be a huge deal to everyone if it was true. I'll believe it when I see it
HorrorSanctum Thursday 7/24/2008 at 05:05 PM | 16315
And then I found this......this may be what started the rumor....this is not the film at all....just an attempt at recreating it ung photos....

Turner Clasc Movies is bringing back the dead -- in film terms, at least -- by resurrecting the granddaddy of Hollywood's lent vampire movies, LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT.

TCM has commisoned veteran film doctor Rick Schmidlin, who restored the lent film clasc GREED, which aired on TCM in 1999.

MIDNIGHT is MGM's 1927 lent film starring Lon Chaney and directed by Tod Browning, who went on to direct Hollywood's first DRACULA, starring Bela Lugo, in 1931. The film's original negative and all prints were destroyed in a studio fire in the early 1950s.

"LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT has been, next to GREED and THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, probably the most famous of the lost films," said Schmidlin, who has also earned kudos for restoring Orson Welles' TOUCH OF EVIL for Universal Pictures.

Schmidlin will re-create a facmile of MIDNIGHT by ung 200 original photograph stills of the film that were discovered along with the film's original continuity script in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' archives. Schmidlin will reshoot those black-and-white still photographs by employing motion control technology to create a replica of the film.

"After reading the script and the continuity, I realized that this could be told totally in photo stills and still be a very complex, compelling, articulate story," Schmidlin said.

The MIDNIGHT re-creation is being rescored by Robert Israel, who also rescored GREED.

TCM will premiere the movie Oct. 31. (Story courtesy of THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER)

Welllll...It's still apparent that the original film will always and forever be lost. But I do give the guys kudos for at least TRYING to bring the movie back to life for us fans to witness.

The TCM veron that we will see runs for an hour long. The good thing is that nce the film is lent, we will not miss out on any original sound/dialouge (I know, DUH!)

The bad thing is that I'm not sure that 200 photographs is worthy enough of making this a satisfying experience.

I don't know man, We'll just have to wait and see how this "motion control technology" works out.
HorrorSanctum Thursday 7/24/2008 at 05:09 PM | 16316
And the more I read..the more skeptical I become.... I think this is another internet rumor. http://www.alertnerd.com/?p=1046
HorrorSanctum Thursday 7/24/2008 at 05:12 PM | 16317
Here's the thread telling the tale of the "discovery":

http://thehorrordrunx.yuku.com/topic/753/t/LONDON-AFTER-MIDNIGHT-LOST-CLASC-FOUND.html?page=1

Real or hoax, it's a fun read...
lblambert Thursday 7/24/2008 at 08:14 PM | 16321
ive talked to d terror a couple times, he seems pretty straight up to me as are most of the other drunx members (even Eli Roth is a member!), now bear in mind when i posted this last night was tanked off my ass

and only reposted a bulletin and an email i recieved from the drunx and had NOT read the article.

i finally got around to reading the whole article a bit ago

now my only question is, if this is true why wait so long? had i found this 20 years ago i woulda been screaming about this until someone did something about it! why wait this long to bring it up?
Johnny Bisco Thursday 7/24/2008 at 10:17 PM | 16327
now my only question is, if this is true why wait so long? had i found this 20 years ago i woulda been screaming about this until someone did something about it! why wait this long to bring it up?

That's what doesn't quite t right with me although the facts as he sets them out certainly seem plauble enough. It just doesn't make sense that he would find this 'holy grail' only to put it back and ignore it for 20 years and is only now jumping up and down screaming that it needs to be saved and preserved.
lblambert Thursday 7/24/2008 at 10:36 PM | 16331

That's what doesn't quite t right with me although the facts as he sets them out certainly seem plauble enough. It just doesn't make sense that he would find this 'holy grail' only to put it back and ignore it for 20 years and is only now jumping up and down screaming that it needs to be saved and preserved. bingo!
Johnny Bisco Thursday 7/24/2008 at 10:54 PM | 16332
BREAKING NEWS!LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT - Starring Lon Chaney Clasc Horror Film LOST for decades You have read it right, the most notorious and sought after film in cinema history, the film that was thought lost forever in an MGM film vault fire decades ago LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT starring Lon Chaney, has been found And, it was found by the Horror Drunx own investigative journalist, D TERROR-lost motion-picture Never Seen it BUT, If you start making those, Im In... --Ryan

Harry Warden Friday 7/25/2008 at 01:24 AM | 16340
BREAKING NEWS!LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT - Starring Lon Chaney Clasc Horror Film LOST for decades You have read it right, the most notorious and sought after film in cinema history, the film that was thought lost forever in an MGM film vault fire decades ago LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT starring Lon Chaney, has been found And, it was found by the Horror Drunx own investigative journalist, D TERROR-lost motion-picture Never Seen it BUT, If you start making those, Im In... --Ryan

not many people outde of 80 year olds have

its always been a dream of mine to see itbut heres a bit of trivia for you

Mark of the Vampire starring Bela Lego which was made in the 30s is a remake of London After Midnight!
Johnny Bisco Friday 7/25/2008 at 01:34 AM | 16342
but heres a bit of trivia for you

Mark of the Vampire starring Bela Lego which was made in the 30s is a remake of London After Midnight

Right you are...here's another tidbit about that particular film nce we're on the subject of lost films...the theatrical release is 60 minutes long however the pre-release information has it listed at 80 minutes so prior to its release 20 minutes (25% of the film) ended up on the cutting room floor.
lblambert Friday 7/25/2008 at 02:54 AM | 16344

Mark of the Vampire starring Bela Lego which was made in the 30s is a remake of London After Midnight

Right you are...here's another tidbit about that particular film nce we're on the subject of lost films...the theatrical release is 60 minutes long however the pre-release information has it listed at 80 minutes so prior to its release 20 minutes (25% of the film) ended up on the cutting room floor. no shit???????????????????????
Johnny Bisco Friday 7/25/2008 at 02:57 AM | 16345

Right you are...here's another tidbit about that particular film nce we're on the subject of lost films...the theatrical release is 60 minutes long however the pre-release information has it listed at 80 minutes so prior to its release 20 minutes (25% of the film) ended up on the cutting room floor. no shit???????????????????????

I shit you not
lblambert Friday 7/25/2008 at 02:58 AM | 16346
now thats some footage worth discovering!
Johnny Bisco Friday 7/25/2008 at 03:09 AM | 16347
I've always found it interesting that Lugo starred in the remake of London After Midnight when you look at how he came to play Dracula in the first place. I'm sure you already know this John but for those who don't, Lon Chaney (who starred in London After Midnight) was set to play Dracula but died of cancer only a few weeks before filming. They didn't have time to conduct an extenve search so they hired Lugo who was playing the same role in a stage presentation.

Just to tie this tidbit into the lost footage thread, when Dracula was released in 1931 it featured an introduction by Edward van Sloan (who played Van Helng in the film) that was very milar to the introduction he did for Frankenstein. It was cut for the film's 1936 re-release and has never been seen nce.
lblambert Friday 7/25/2008 at 03:32 AM | 16349
I've always found it interesting that Lugo starred in the remake of London After Midnight when you look at how he came to play Dracula in the first place. I'm sure you already know this John but for those who don't, Lon Chaney (who starred in London After Midnight) was set to play Dracula but died of cancer only a few weeks before filming. They didn't have time to conduct an extenve search so they hired Lugo who was playing the same role in a stage presentation.

Just to tie this tidbit into the lost footage thread, when Dracula was released in 1931 it featured an introduction by Edward van Sloan (who played Van Helng in the film) that was very milar to the introduction he did for Frankenstein. It was cut for the film's 1936 re-release and has never been seen nce. lee you hit the nail on the head! i want that footage!

on another dracula note the spaniosh veron that was filmed at the same time as the american veron is far superior in every way i think!
Johnny Bisco Friday 7/25/2008 at 04:20 AM | 16350
on another dracula note the spaniosh veron that was filmed at the same time as the american veron is far superior in every way i think

As much as I love the job Bela and Edward van Sloan did I have to agree with you. The Spanish veron is definitely much better. It's amazing how different the two films are given the identical subject matter and the fact they were filmed concurrently on the same sets.
lblambert Friday 7/25/2008 at 10:34 PM | 16411
if i remember correctly its about 15 mins longer (i havent watched it in about a year)

also according to the spanish actors they would get to the set early and watch what bela and company were doing and try to outdo them and it shows! so much more feeling in the spanish veron when he smashed the cigar box mirror!
Johnny Bisco Friday 7/25/2008 at 10:40 PM | 16413
hey guys sorry I have been MIA here the past few days I have just been so busy trying to figure out the issue we are having with the forum nce the transfer of the te from one hosting company to the next.

We have finally pin pointed the issue and all should be fixed by tomorrow 8-7-08. Sorry again for the inconvience and things will be back to normal here very soon. If you guys need me for anything please do not hetate to PM me or e-mail me at horrorbid@yahoo.com.

Also the chat is working fine and I urge everyone to use that until the forum is fixed. Thanks again, Justin
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 8/06/2008 at 08:27 PM | 16557
Is anyone seeing a Forum Update from Justin? All I'm getting is the first page of Bisco's London After Midnight Thread.

I'm guesng if there is a forum update it isn't good news

;)
lblambert Wednesday 8/06/2008 at 09:14 PM | 16558
...and I'm not seeing my reply either.
lblambert Wednesday 8/06/2008 at 09:16 PM | 16559