Forums Horror Movie Talk
Horror Movies that Play Upon our Fears

Almost everyone has some fears whether it be snakes, clowns, or even elevators. My greatest fear, which is very odd, is submarines. No joke I run out of the room if I see on on tv, in a book, or anything they freak the hell out of me! So here is my list of some movies that play on our fears. If you can think of any others please reply with the name of the movie! I know there are more than one of some of these movies that play on our fears but to keep the list short I'm only listing one from each fear.

Jaws For those afraid of sharks

Devil For those who fear elevators, tight spaces, even the devil

Arachnophobia Those creepy crawling spiders

Killer Clowns from Outer Space Fear of clowns

The Descent Fear of the dark, tight spaces, and LOTS of blood

Snakes on a Plane Snakes and Flying

Final Destination series Death and Dying

Splinter Pointy things like needles and splinters

The Dentist The Dentist or Doctors
BloodyAdored Sunday 7/24/2011 at 05:32 AM | 79206
The Marble Hornets - OCD, paranoia, anxiety http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkqyeyzSZR1qchm6no1_500. http://www.youtube.com/marblehornets
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 7/24/2011 at 11:14 AM | 79212
Awesome Topic!! I had trouble watching Buried at first. Guess I'm a bit claustrophobic.

Anonymous Sunday 7/24/2011 at 01:55 PM | 79215
Frozen killed any posbility of me ung a ski lift
DoubleshotJ Sunday 7/24/2011 at 02:44 PM | 79217
For me, It was really the movie that brought the fear of clowns.
HorrorDaily Sunday 7/24/2011 at 02:56 PM | 79218
well in this world i really dont have any fear of nothing hell that scares the shit out of me
heartlessangel Sunday 7/24/2011 at 10:19 PM | 79231
My greatest fear, which is very odd, is submarines. No joke I run out of the room if I see on on tv, in a book, or anything they freak the hell out of me

Alright, you can't just admit something like that publicly and not elaborate.

I could understand if you were claustrophobic, afraid of drowning, or the like, but to run out of the room if you see one on televion just because they freak you out . . . I can't wrap my mind around that one.

I'd love to hear the story behind that fear.

My biggest fear is the afterlife, or more to the point, what's waiting in it if one actually exists.

Movies dealing with demonic posseson are the only movies that truly scare me.
gummi Monday 7/25/2011 at 03:27 AM | 79237
Alright, you can't just admit something like that publicly and not elaborate.

I could understand if you were claustrophobic, afraid of drowning, or the like, but to run out of the room if you see one on televion just because they freak you out . . . I can't wrap my mind around that one.

I'd love to hear the story behind that fear.

Ok so here is the story. I had a dream one night about the old submarine ride at Disney Land with it being all empty and creepy as f*ck ._. not to mention Jude Law being in the dream as well.... god knows why. But from then on they have freaked me out! Something about seeing a big metal thing in open water just moving and omg ahhh honest to god it freaks me out talking about it!!! It may not make too much sense but they really do scare me to death. :S
BloodyAdored Monday 7/25/2011 at 04:03 AM | 79240
Damn Jude Law!

It's bad enough that all the ladies love him, but now he's mixed up in your Ipobrichiophobia . . . yep, I looked it up.

Take that name with a grain of salt though; I don't know how reputable the webtes are.

It's a damn shame really, The Hunt For Red October is a kick-ass movie.

gummi Monday 7/25/2011 at 04:23 AM | 79241
Damn Jude Law!

It's bad enough that all the ladies love him, but now he's mixed up in your Ipobrichiophobia . . . yep, I looked it up.

Take that name with a grain of salt though; I don't know how reputable the webtes are.

It's a damn shame really, The Hunt For Red October is a kick-ass movie.HAHA yeah damn that Jude Law! Seriously I can't watch that movie xD
BloodyAdored Monday 7/25/2011 at 06:33 AM | 79244
At least you can laugh about it.

All hope is not lost.
gummi Monday 7/25/2011 at 10:06 AM | 79246
bloody: ever watch Below? That should creep you out pretty good :)
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 7/26/2011 at 05:52 PM | 79300
bloody: ever watch Below? That should creep you out pretty good :)

._. no and now I plan never to xD
BloodyAdored Tuesday 7/26/2011 at 06:51 PM | 79301
@BloodyAdored, don't ever watch Below. (a little known horror gem written by Darren Aronofsky that takes place on a submarine)
AgnesItsMeBilly Tuesday 7/26/2011 at 07:53 PM | 79309
Galaxy of terror and Event Horizon literally played on people's fears...City of the Living Dead dealt with being buried alive, dying by the hands of a loved one, etc.
ObscureCinema101 Tuesday 8/02/2011 at 11:08 PM | 79797