Forums Horror Movie Talk
Breaking Down HALLOWEEN 3D: Facts VS. Rumors

With the summer rapidly coming to an end, and fall approaching. One can only assume that 2012 will be here before you know it. And I for one can't wait for one movie in particular to arrive. October 26th, 2012 will mark the date that one of the most recognizable slashers is set to return to the big screen and his name is Michael Myers. In this article, I thought I would sort of recap everything that we know thus far about the upcoming Halloween 3D film.

The film is a sequel to Rob Zombie's Remake of Halloween II and the eleventh film in the Halloween series. The plot and cast of the film is unknown, but we do know that Patrick Luser is on board to direct the third installment of the reboot, and Todd Farmer is writing the script. Originally it was thought that Steve Miner was attached to this project, but that has been proved to be false.

On September 25, 2009 Todd Farmer turned in the first draft of the "Halloween 3D" script. The company loved the script but production for "Halloween 3D" was shut down because the Weinstein's ran out of money just 4 days later on September 29, 2009.

Things were quiet for a while but then on April 6, 2010 Patrick Luser revealed in an MTV interview that the "Fate of Halloween 3D depends on Dimenon Films and timing." also stating, "We were ready to go with

last year, and then

tuation changed, and then we weren't."

Things were starting to looking rather bleak at that point. I wasn't even sure if Halloween 3D would see the light of day, and I'm sure many of you felt the same way. But then rumors really began surfacing, some were proven to be fact and others are still up in the air - thus leading me to this next section.

It has been suggested on more then one occaon that legendary horror actor Tom Atkins will be cast in H3D. Atkins is said to play the role of a doctor who is trying to help Laurie Strode with her problems.

"a shrink in a mental hospital that Laurie

is in with a bunch of other girls who have been up to no good" added Atkins an interview with Fangoria, " I'm trying to help them find a way to the light."

Scout Taylor-Compton is also heavily rumored to return for the 3D veron, initially she said "no" to the offer via Skype, because she felt early on that they were rushing things, and the only way that she would change her mind was if they could wow her with a script. But more recently, a fan asked Taylor-Compton about being in HALLOWEEN 3D via her Twitter account and she mply answered with a wink face ;) Does this mean that the scream queen may have changed her mind?

One additional name being thrown around, at least by IMDB - is Brad Dourif. The online movie encyclopedia has Dourif rumored to return to Haddonfield as Sherriff Brackett.

Now let's talk about the mask which seems to be another topic that has been brought up on more then one occaon. Because of the "clean" Michael Myers mask shown below in this Halloween 3D promo picture which has surfaced, it is believed that they will bring back the old veron of the Myers mask instead of the Rob Zombie veron which had a much rotted look. Speculation and interviews around the web seems to suggest that Patrick Luser wants to base his film on John Carpenter's original film, which would explain why this early promo picture contains images of the original mask.

Back in April of 2010 Luser explained in an interview with MTV that he and Farmer intended 'Halloween 3D' to be a natural extenon of

Zombie's 'Halloween II,' while at the same time returning the franchise to its origins.

"The film that we wrote took place, like, the next frame after Rob's 'Halloween II' ended and immediately went into stripping Michael Myers back to his John Carpenter roots," Luser said, referring to the creator of the 'Halloween' franchise. "That's what we did very quickly. And then you pick up the story a year later as Halloween rolls around again. Everybody's back in the fray. That was our goal."

Luser and Farmer also conducted an excluve interview which was posted on Dread Central back in Feburary 2011. "I love the script we wrote" stated Farmer, "we wrote something that respected what Rob did, but we wanted to take it back to more of a John Carpenter feel, and we love it. But right now Bob (Weinstein) wants to concentrate on others things. The idea was to start it where Rob had left off and open the journey then to more of 'The Shape' and the mysterious and the prick that Michael Myers is known to be."

Luser added, "The concept is to complete Rob’s journey and then very quickly take it back to the root of what Carpenter created in 1978 and of how fun it was to see that movie when you were a kid. The thing about Michael in Carpenter's movie is that he doesn't make sense, and he is clearly from a family which was perfectly normal, and he is a 'blank,' which makes him far scarier. With Zombie’s Halloween, it was, 'I'm not surprised that guy's turned out to be a serial killer.' With Carpenter, it was, 'How did that guy turn into a serial killer?' If he did, anyone can, which is really scary."

Several months ago our very own Justin Swarens talked with FX mastermind Wayne Toth regarding the famous rotted "Michael Myers" mask that he created for the Rob Zombie remakes. And Toth indicated at the time of their conversation that he hadn't been approached yet to create another mask. Whether or not this changes remains to be seen, but it certainly can shed a little more light on Luser's "so called decion" to go back to the clasc mask style.

So there you have it, which should bring you up to date on this whole Halloween 3D soap opera. Keep checking back here on HorrorBid for more updates, because I'm sure they'll be plenty more news to report on H3D in the near future.

H3D hits theaters on October 26, 2012.
Anonymous Saturday 7/30/2011 at 07:38 PM | 79599
some good info here. i dont expect H3D to wow me in any way shape or form, but I'll be in line with my fingers crosses all the same.
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 7/31/2011 at 12:19 AM | 79605
alot of people might hate me for saying this but I prefer zombies Halloween over Carpenters just for the fact zombie put in a senble back story,

a very good pace of the movie, a way better ending, and a good cast. and don't get me wrong im not a zombie fanboy in fact i hated the 2 other movies he made . to me

carpenter never gave much effort to the original even though the budget was low ect The original Texas chainsaw massacre was way better and it had a way lower budget.
hm4life Sunday 7/31/2011 at 02:12 AM | 79608
There are some thing that should be left to die and this is one of them we don;t need anymore Halloween movies .I far as I am concern there are only 2 of the best Halloween movies that was both John Carpenter because in part 2 Michael Myers and Looms both died in the Hospital exploon which mean all the other ones are just not right and don't belong in the series .
nightmareblade Sunday 7/31/2011 at 02:49 AM | 79612
Great breakdown Bnizzle. Michael Myers in a root beer commercial would have me excited so this is something I am always up for. Like Matt said, I am not expecting much but hey, if they deliver even a little that is fine with me. Good topic and thanks for all the facts!
Shakelford, J. Rusty Sunday 7/31/2011 at 03:15 AM | 79614
To be honest, and it pains me to say this as the Halloween series are my favourite horror saga, but the series is in a real slump. They should have left it at H20 with Laurie finally killing Michael but once Resurrection came around, it totally destroyed the series.

Now with Rob Zombie ignoring Resurrection - we have:

* Halloween 1 + 2 : Great clasc horror movies that starts and finishes a great story. * Halloween III : A film that has nothing to do with 1 and 2 (I love it but it's always a glaring point that there is a film i the series totally seperate to what the series is about) * Halloween 4, 5 and 6 : Movies continuing on from 1 + 2 but ultimately turning the films from standard slasher fair to all of a sudden supernatural and witchcraft nonsense. * Halloween H20 : A film that ignores 4, 5 and 6 and instead continues on from 1 + 2 (but amazingly ends the series with a jaw dropping finale) * Halloween Resurrection : A film that ridiculously continues H20 and ruins the ending by making Michael survive and killing off the series hero (and leaving it open for another sequel) * Rob Zombie's Halloween 1 + 2 : Instead of making Halloween 9 and continuing on from everything we've had so far, we now get reinvented remakes that includes hillbillies, a talking Michael Myers who we speaks (and doesn't always wear a mask), an asshole Loomis and a huge variety of unlikeable characters.

So now we are to assume that Halloween 3D will continue on from this. Don't know about you guys, but I for one am not likeing the current state of this series which has gone from horror clascs, to an utter mess.
joshk1986 Sunday 7/31/2011 at 09:19 AM | 79627
To be honest, and it pains me to say this as the Halloween series are my favourite horror saga, but the series is in a real slump. They should have left it at H20 with Laurie finally killing Michael but once Resurrection came around, it totally destroyed the series.

* Halloween 1 + 2 : Great clasc horror movies that starts and finishes a great story. * Halloween III : A film that has nothing to do with 1 and 2 (I love it but it's always a glaring point that there is a film i the series totally seperate to what the series is about) * Halloween 4, 5 and 6 : Movies continuing on from 1 + 2 but ultimately turning the films from standard slasher fair to all of a sudden supernatural and witchcraft nonsense. * Halloween H20 : A film that ignores 4, 5 and 6 and instead continues on from 1 + 2 (but amazingly ends the series with a jaw dropping finale) * Halloween Resurrection : A film that ridiculously continues H20 and ruins the ending by making Michael survive and killing off the series hero (and leaving it open for another sequel) * Rob Zombie's Halloween 1 + 2 : Instead of making Halloween 9 and continuing on from everything we've had so far, we now get reinvented remakes that includes hillbillies, a talking Michael Myers who we speaks (and doesn't always wear a mask), an asshole Loomis and a huge variety of unlikeable characters.

So now we are to assume that Halloween 3D will continue on from this. Don't know about you guys, but I for one am not likeing the current state of this series which has gone from horror clascs, to an utter mess.

yeah im not super excited by the direction it looks as though they'll take... although it sounds like they aim to take it back in the carpenter direction after settling the rob fiasco early (let's hope).

It's unfortunate Zombie was the one to take over the series. I loved the mystery of the original, it was always like "wow this kid went crazy and flew off the handle... for no obvious reason. Could it happen toanyone??" it made the whole tuation that much more frightening. Enter Rob, who made a valiant effort with the first film, but he turned it into his one dimenonal hill billy fest. Suddenly Myers comes from (bacally) the same white trash family from HO1KC and TDR. I give Rob due respect for trying to shed some light on the history of Michael, but it was an admittedly awkward shift that sadly showcased the limitations of Zombie.

I actually grew to enjoy the first one, but it was flawed, and badly so. It's interesting that hm4life points out the pacing of zombies features as a strength, as the pacing was actually one of the masve mistakes zombie made with both of his reinterpretations. H1 was nearly two movies tacked on to each other back-to-back and it REALLY hurt the movie; by the time Myers is back on the street after Scout, you're more than ready for the movie to be over. H2 has two introductions, an entertaining (albeit technically terrible) body, and a completely botched climax that leaves viewers feeling like they just watched a 2 and a half hour movie, which obviously wasnt the case.
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 7/31/2011 at 12:10 PM | 79629
This is why I live for this te. Great story and puts everything in perspective. Bnizzle you're one of my favorites!
Disturbed_voices Sunday 7/31/2011 at 02:59 PM | 79634

yeah im not super excited by the direction it looks as though they'll take... although it sounds like they aim to take it back in the carpenter direction after settling the rob fiasco early (let's hope).

It's unfortunate Zombie was the one to take over the series. I loved the mystery of the original, it was always like "wow this kid went crazy and flew off the handle... for no obvious reason. Could it happen toanyone??" it made the whole tuation that much more frightening. Enter Rob, who made a valiant effort with the first film, but he turned it into his one dimenonal hill billy fest. Suddenly Myers comes from (bacally) the same white trash family from HO1KC and TDR. I give Rob due respect for trying to shed some light on the history of Michael, but it was an admittedly awkward shift that sadly showcased the limitations of Zombie.

I actually grew to enjoy the first one, but it was flawed, and badly so. It's interesting that hm4life points out the pacing of zombies features as a strength, as the pacing was actually one of the masve mistakes zombie made with both of his reinterpretations. H1 was nearly two movies tacked on to each other back-to-back and it REALLY hurt the movie; by the time Myers is back on the street after Scout, you're more than ready for the movie to be over. H2 has two introductions, an entertaining (albeit technically terrible) body, and a completely botched climax that leaves viewers feeling like they just watched a 2 and a half hour movie, which obviously wasnt the case.

I agree man.

Zombie turned what was a mysterious and genuinely frightening character into yet another product of hillbilly "child-rearing" and a backstory that made him just another psycho.

He tried, but it went in completely the wrong direction.

And by making him more "realistic" it made the second film make no sense whatsoever....

Myers just survives a gunshot (with a rather large caliber bullet) to the dome, and then somehow finds out where Laurie lives without any explanation.I know that in sequels it is always expected to explain more of the villain's motivations and origins, but in the case of Michael Myers... I've always felt that there should be theories and ideas, but nothing concrete.

Michael should remain nebulous and a force of nature.

I'm glad to hear that the new film will return to the roots of the character.

I would hope that Laurie dies or is left completely out of this one, as the ster angle is beyond tired and has only hindered the entire series imo.

But I guess we will see.
DarkArtist81 Sunday 7/31/2011 at 03:51 PM | 79639
Josh its good to see a familiar face from the past!

Agreed with all of you guys. I just want another Halloween movie. Greed is a miserable thing, lol.
BIGKen Sunday 7/31/2011 at 03:57 PM | 79640
@

Disturbed_voicesThanks for the kind words!!
Anonymous Sunday 7/31/2011 at 05:51 PM | 79645
I'm going to have to de with the "Let it Die" votes. Love the series but unless they can come up with something revolutionary I'm too afraid we are going to get another "Resurrection". I'd take nothing over Busta drop kick'n Myers Kung Fu Style again. However, from a studio/financial stand point it only makes sense to milk the cow a few more times . . . if she's still got some left.

Guess we'll find out whether we want to or not.
DaShape Sunday 7/31/2011 at 10:14 PM | 79657
It would be great to ultimately close off the original series properly too. The idea of that series' cannon ending with Resurrection makes me ck. What I think would be fantastic is for Jamie Lee Curtis to return one last time (as she tried to do in H20) and finally kill Michael (again, as she did in H20).

And for any of you who questions how Laurie could come back after she was killed in Resurrection? Come on! They made Michael survive H20's ending! Anything is posble!
joshk1986 Tuesday 8/02/2011 at 08:19 AM | 79745
Its good to get back to the roots to a sense buts its still a sequel to Zombie's film so it should be his model mask which I think looks scarier anyways. Also its would be weird to turn Michael Myers from zombie's brutal as heck killing methods to a more non brutal method as Carpenter's veron. Don't get me wrong I love both!! But I agree that the whole ghost and horse thing needs to stay away. But it is a sequel to zombie's with same characters in it so Myers looks should remain the same but leave his mask on the whole time. He looked like a huge mean caveman without LOL. I do believe the same guy should play Myers part tho cause he his huge and very intimidating. But should stick with zombie's storyline a little I mean yeah make him somewhat less brutal but the mask should stay Zombie's veron because it was ALOT better. I suppose Loomis won't be back lol He was stabbed like 10 times in part 2 and looked pretty much dead.
TerryC Wednesday 8/03/2011 at 09:16 PM | 79894
cant wait to see it i hope this one wows me and has that carpenter feel like 1 -2 and h20

heartlessangel Saturday 8/06/2011 at 05:47 PM | 80139
I'll get heat for this, but I think Rob Zombie's Halloween films are amazing. I don't look at them as Zombie vs. Carpenter as a lot of people seem to do. I think he expanded the lore of Micheal Myers, and I'm sorry if I don't think it's a bad thing that we know why Micheal Myers is a psychopath.

I'll even get shit from Zombie fans when I say that I liked the second Halloween he did, better than the first.
Zer0.MediA Tuesday 8/09/2011 at 06:08 AM | 80291
I'll get heat for this, but I think Rob Zombie's Halloween films are amazing. I don't look at them as Zombie vs. Carpenter as a lot of people seem to do. I think he expanded the lore of Micheal Myers, and I'm sorry if I don't think it's a bad thing that we know why Micheal Myers is a psychopath.

I'll even get shit from Zombie fans when I say that I liked the second Halloween he did, better than the first.

I agree with you to and extent. I love RZ's films and I thought his first Halloween was a decent effort. What bothers me about H2 is why he made it so uneven to his first film i.e the characters and narration and overall look of the film. And I'm sorry but in my opinion, the fact that he put this scene into a HALLOWEEN film proves how far off the mark he was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiv_uo7ND4Y
joshk1986 Tuesday 8/09/2011 at 09:02 AM | 80301
Zero.MediA, you're not gonna get ripped on by me! I loved RZ's Halloweens! Zombie is the biggest idol in my life. Sure, H2 had some questionable things, especially that scene^ (MICHAEL. DOES. NOT.SPEAK.) But anyway, I loved them, especially the first. I have a bad feeling for 3 though, mostly to the fact it's in 3D. JUST END IT NOW!
AbominableDrPhibes78 Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 08:15 PM | 81467