Forums Horror Movie Talk
Was the Nightmare on Elm Street remake so bad?

The latest Fangoria has given the Nightmare remake the chainsaw award for worst movie for 2011. My main question is why? I understand that i seem to be the only person who sticks up for remakes and i can respect the fact that mostr people were upset that England would not be playing Freddy but was the remake so terrible that is should be dubbed worst movie? Personally i can name a lot of movies that are way worse. My prime example being Indious. That movie is by far the worst attempt at horror I have ever seen. And it truly pains me to say this because i have grown quite fond of Michael Myers in my absence but H2 was no masterpiece. In a movie that revolvs around Myers and Laurie Strode, why does Zombie's wife have to have so much screen time? So all I am wondering is this... Am I the only person who felt that the Nightmare remake was good?
ZaPsamurai Thursday 8/04/2011 at 04:54 AM | 79923
All i know is that if you put a gun to my head and told me "you can only watch one movie for the rest of your life; Indious or the Nightmare on Elm St remake - pick one!", i would tell you to pull the trigger.
AgnesItsMeBilly Thursday 8/04/2011 at 06:16 AM | 79930
To be fair, I didn't even get half way through the new one.

Gag.

but it didn't do anything to keep me from running away from the tv for what I did see either.

These Baymakes really have to stop.Here's a mini review I did for this one.

Short and sweet.

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) – I confess, I didn’t make it halfway thru this remake of the 1984 Freddy Kruger clasc from muc video director Samuel Bayer (the guy who helmed ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit,’ folks!).

The dream sequences and deaths are absolutely unimaginative; the supposedly special crutch here was the decion to make Jackie Earle Haley’s (Watchmen) uninspired Freddy an all out pedophile.

Horrible as it is to say, this was also not as disturbing as it should have been.

Yes, some of the sequels made Kruger a little too funny and tongue in cheek.

But he was kinky enough, nastily licking the chicks and zipping out dirty one liners. He’s the son of a hundred maniacs, if that doesn’t suggest something nefarious I don’t know what does.

New Nightmare blended the mix of real and refresh far more wonderfully, and I really, really hope this means these damn Michael Bay and Platinum Dunes remake folks are going to finally let these great horror franchises lie.

http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot. ... nyone.html

So tired of crappy remakes!
KB24 Thursday 8/04/2011 at 11:46 AM | 79938
really enjoyed the reboot. I loved how they made Freddy's makeup so much more realistic. The pacing is fucked up, but there are some new ideas put to work, and they work well. I also like the much clearer indications that we're dealing with a child molester/killer. The original hinted at that, but failed to pull the trigger, and left us guesng.

Haley was effectively creepy. Eliminating a lot of the humor from the film was great, and, imo, makes for a more chilling story than nearly every Nightmare flick post original.

I love Englund; he's been a huge favorite of mine nce I was pretty young, but even I can t back and admit that he's a creepier villain on screen than Englund.

I think people cling to the original, which is cool in my book, as I'm not typically big on remakes/reboots, but I actually thought this was one of the better remakes recently. Believe it or not, i conder Halloween (only the first reboot), Friday and NOES all fine remakes.

I also think a lot of people hate on this picture because it's become "the cool" thing to do (due to tes like Fango that have raped the movie publicly). Like it or not, we tend to start forming opinions as soon as we start to read about films. We head in with preconceived ideas, and they stick to us. I always try to head in with zero expectations; as long as the film is at least decent, i can usually enjoy myself and the film.
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 8/04/2011 at 03:08 PM | 79953
I am just old-school and prefer to see Robert Englund playing the part of Freddy Krueger. Also - 1980's muc, the 80's hairstyles, the 80's fashions, the 80's lingo, etc....that is all apart of the many appeals of those older Elm Street films and the remake did not have that. The remake was also overall just too much of what I've already seen before in the other Freddy films too. If I am going to watch a movie about the Dream Master, I rather view the clasc ones because it has all the fun 80's stuff in it, and Robert Englund as Freddy.
Zeeboe Thursday 8/04/2011 at 04:28 PM | 79961