Forums Horror Movie Talk
Female Directors of Horror

Lets face it, there aren't too many very well known female horror directors these days. I'm not bashing on the great male directors we have these days like Eli Roth or Wes Craven but female directors of horror seemed to be greatly over shadowed.

So in this post I would like to highlight some of the female horror directors! If I am misng some please reply and list them!

Karyn Kusama Jennifers Body

Mary Lambert Pet Semetary

Kathryn Bigelow Near Dark
BloodyAdored Friday 8/05/2011 at 06:45 PM | 80064
Hooray for Near Dark!!!! Bigelow should sooo do more horror. As for adding to your list, Kate Glover out of Australia wrote, produced, and directed her own slasher "Slaughtered". I don't know if its any good because its ridiculously hard to get ahold of.
AgnesItsMeBilly Friday 8/05/2011 at 07:16 PM | 80075
I knoq that the Slumber Party Massacre films were directed by women, but I can't remember who.
HorrorDaily Friday 8/05/2011 at 10:38 PM | 80094
What about Jackie Kong? She directed The Being and Blood Diner (if you can't tell by now I really like that movie).
ObscureCinema101 Saturday 8/06/2011 at 01:11 AM | 80109
Hold the phone . . . that first pic is not Karyn Kusama who directed Jennifer's Body, that's actress Rachel Weisz Lol. Haven't you ever seen The Mummy? I google searched Karyn's name and I see where that pic you used pops up, but that's not Karyn.

Sorry for my nerd alert
DaShape Saturday 8/06/2011 at 02:42 AM | 80114
Rachel Talalay directed Freddys Dead The Final Nightmare, which I feel is underrated, as well as Ghost in the Machine. Mary Harron who directed American Psycho which while not a straight out horror film has many wonderfully well done slasher type scenes. So yes there are definitely some extremely talented female horror directors out there.
mich13 Saturday 8/06/2011 at 05:05 AM | 80121