Forums Horror Movie Talk
Remakes Don't Always Do Better Than The Original (Prom Night Remake 2008 Movie Review)

In 2008 we were brought a remake of the 1980 horror film Prom Night. In the original we have the lovely Jamie Lee Curtis staring in the main role of Kim however in the remake we have a new name for the lead role named Donna played by Brittany Snow. I guess the original names weren't cool enough but that doesn't matter too much.

The storyline for Prom Night is about (quoting Davi lva from IMDB) "Donnas senior prom is supposed to be the best night of her life, one of magic, beauty, and love. Surrounded by her best friends, she should be safe from the horrors of her past. But when the night turns from magic to murder there is only one man who could be responble, the man she thought was gone forever. Now, Donna and her friends must find a way to escape the sadistic rampage of an obsessed killer, and survive their Prom Night."

This film came out my junior year of high school right around my prom time, so I was dying to see this before going to prom with my date, but of coarse everyone in my group were not too fond of horror film so we ended up doing the standard go to a steak house then go to prom thing. This movie I feel had perfect timing to play in theaters because it was prom season and seriously going to seeing a horror flick before prom sound like an awesome time to me!

I thought this was a very good clasc slasher film to watch on a first date or something of that nature. It is more jumpy than truly scary or gory. The blood amount in this film is not too high so I feel this film could be watched with the family for a good little scare. This film over all was just a modern day slasher flick. I didn't feel there was anything special that makes this film stands out, I feel they played it safe. However I did enjoy the movie poster very very much! You can see the poster above next to the original poster.

As an overall rating I give this film a 4 out of 10 because they did play it safe maybe too safe and it was not memorable.
BloodyAdored Sunday 8/07/2011 at 10:09 PM | 80211
Yup, the poster is way better than the movie!
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 8/07/2011 at 11:20 PM | 80214
Yup, the poster is way better than the movie!

Indeed
BloodyAdored Monday 8/08/2011 at 12:18 AM | 80218
Still better then the Prom Night 3 and 4
HorrorDaily Monday 8/08/2011 at 03:28 AM | 80228
This was by far the worst of the crap remakes.
weaponx Monday 8/08/2011 at 05:31 AM | 80237
honestly, they were both terrible films. I enjoy the original, primarily due to JLC, but its still a technical mess.

The remake...well....I dont even know what to say about that heap.
Matt_Molgaard Monday 8/08/2011 at 05:54 AM | 80240
The remake is just horrible. To my s, it doesn't exist. Lol.

The original, though bad, is actually good in a campy way. It's overacted and overdramatized, but it fits well in the 80s.

That and Jamie Lee Curtis just makes any horror movie better. Lol.
Ryze Tuesday 8/09/2011 at 02:33 AM | 80279
The remake is just horrible. To my s, it doesn't exist. Lol.

The original, though bad, is actually good in a campy way. It's overacted and overdramatized, but it fits well in the 80s.

That and Jamie Lee Curtis just makes any horror movie better. Lol. It's funny because I actually enjoyed the remake better than the original. I bought the original on a whim with out even seeing it (Way before there was a remake) and I watched it and it felt kinda awkward, as there there were too many ideas thrown into one movie. I have only seen it once and I own it, so that is pretty bad. I do not own the remake because although I thought it was more entertaining, it wasn't worth a buy either. I get that people think that they played it safe but I actually dig when films go for subtlety sometimes and do so nowadays is almost more balsy than making it a gore fest imo. If you watch the original TCM, it doesn't have any gore at all and but if you ask my parents, they will say how gorey it was when they watched it. That is how you know it was a powerful film. That being said, I am in no way shape or form comparing TCM to the remake of Prom Night but I don't think the problem was the gore in the remake, it was the mainstream feel it had.
Sephit Wednesday 8/10/2011 at 02:26 AM | 80353