Forums Horror Movie Talk
Why are we getting so many horror movies in August?

Happy Monday Horrorbytes! Ya know, the other day I saw a TV spot for Final Destinatinon 5 and it got me thinkin that lately it seems that the movie studios keep getting August confused with October... I mean don't get me wrong I wish it were like this every month but in recent years the month of August has seen more horror films open than October.

In the past couple of years, August has been a hot pub to release horror films into theaters... and I think it's great!

Let's analyze this little trend.

This August we get a new horror film in theaters every ngle weekend! (That is if you count last weekends Rise of the Planet of the Apes) August 12th we see Final Destination 5, then the next weekend we get Fright Night and to top it all off we get the remake of Are you Afraid of the Dark.

It even seems to bleed (no pun intended) into the early days of September, where we get both Apollo 18 and Shark Night 3D.

Then we will get a little break till October rolls around, where we can expect the Thing remake/prequel and Paranormal Activity 3.

To understand this trend we should look back at the growing trend of horror in August.

Let's start in 2003.

Freddy Vs. Jason was released in mid- August 2003 and ended up grosng over $114 million at the box office world wide... thats pretty good for the slasher flick. Movie studios must have taken notice because over the next couple of years, this trend grew. Fast foward to 2007 when Rob Zombie decided to release his remake of Halloween in August (fearful of the once almighty Saw franche) and it had the biggest opening for a labor day weekend... EVER! The next year saw the bore fest known as Mirrors, which still brought in a respectable $77 million world wide. But it wasnt untill 2009 where things started to really heat up... The Final Destination and Halloween 2 opened on the same night... in the long run Final Destination 3D fared better than Zombie's sequel and it opened up a new home for the "final" franchise. (this august we also get a new final destination movie) Last year you either love it or hate it with Piranha 3D and this year we have 3 flicks to knock your socks off.

I kind of like this trend of horror in August. All the big summer blockbusters have already passed and now it's our turn to end the summer with a scream and get audiences pumped for October.

Who knows maybe one day it will spread through September and we will get a solid August through October of just horror film after horror film.

What do you think?
Aronsonfilms Monday 8/08/2011 at 11:30 AM | 80247