Forums Horror Movie Talk
SUCK IT: Vampires on Film in the 60s and 70s

By the dawning of the 1960’s, it seemed the world had seen just about everything left to see. Two wars to end all wars, half the world bombed to hell, mass genocide, the threat of Communist spies hidden throughout society (or, as I like to call it, Paranoid McCarthy Disorder), a new age of technological advancement and, most worrisome for straight-laced parents everywhere, the swiveling hips of a country boy from Missppi on national televion. The wholesome Betty Crocker ideal suburban lifestyle that had so defined the 1950’s was beginning to warp and crumble; there was something new in the air and it touched all aspects of life, including something as mple as the vampire film.

The dark shadowy figures stalking celluloid nights were beginning to give way to a new beast entirely. Hot red blood was splashing across movie screens and the closely drawn ties between vampirism and lust were becoming all but inescapable. Vampires, our suave nightmare mainstays, were evolving into something quite different.

The Brides of Dracula (1960) Peter Cushing stars as Van Helng in this 1960 Hammer film which, in contrast to its title, does not actually feature Dracula. The vampire this film focuses on is instead a Transylvania baron who develops something of a harem composed of a human bride to be - an innocent schoolteacher - along with a newly red vampire bride and a resolutely faithful family servant. The clearly sexual overtones in this film become apparent with the newly risen vampire Gina, begging her friend, the above innocent schoolteacher, for a kiss, and referencing her ring by the Baron as “letting him love ”. Cushing plays his perfunctory role in defeating the Baron, but not before the clueless schoolteacher had become enraptured with him.

Blood and Roses (1960) Before there was Dracula, there was Carmilla. Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu’s novella about a female vampire predates Stoker’s by more than twenty years, and has served as bas for many films that play upon the abstraction of gender roles created when introducing evil in the form of a wily young female. Blood and Roses is one such film. Originally titled “Et mourir de plair” (or, poorly translated by a non-native French speaker ‘The Death by/of Pleasure’), Blood and Roses tells the tale of a woman possessed by a vampiric ancestor. A 1964 film titled Crypt of the Vampire stays closer to the novella’s storyline and starts Christopher Lee, and carries much of the same atmosphere this French film creates.

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) This 1967 film, directed by controversy-courting Roman Polanski and starring his ill-fated wife, Sharon Tate, this cult film takes a tongue-in-cheek look at vampires films of bygone eras but remains straight enough to be condered a horror film, and not necessarily an outright comedic farce. Unlike earlier horror-comedy films, such as the Abbott and Costello movies, The Fearless Vampire Killers shies away from slapstick comedy and relies instead on clever comebacks and innuendo for its humor. It was only the re-edited American veron of the film that came across as disjointed, as it had been cut, rearranged and renamed (The Fearless Vampire Killers, or, Pardon Me But Your Teeth Are In My Neck) to appeal to an entirely different audience. Sadly, at the present time, no known copies of the original, unedited film exist. We can only watch the hack and slash job that MGM did to the film to try and understand what might have been.

Blacula (1972) In a departure from many Dracula films, and in spite off its ridiculous title, Blacula presents the interesting concept of an African prince who had encountered the Transylvanian Count and had himself been turned into a member of the undead. The prince finds himself trapped inde a sealed coffin which, centuries later, finds its way to Los Angeles. Once freed, he becomes enamored of a woman resembling the wife he lost so long ago and becomes to determined to win her heart. A follow-up film, Scream Blacula Scream, bordered more into the ridiculous and that, paired with some poor attempts at humor in the original film, have branded a passable vampire film as nothing more than a joke. Though the prince’s facial hair helped with that. Like a couple of caterpillars taking a esta on his cheekbones.

Blood for Dracula (1974) There were many, many, many Dracula films produced during the 1970’s, ranging from the barely passable to out and out ridiculous made-for-televion films. Andy Warhol’s Blood for Dracula stands out from the pack as something just unique enough to make it interesting. Here we find no strong, suave Count, but rather a weak and defeated Count who is forced to flee to a rural town in search of his only hope for survival: virgin blood. In an interesting point of commentary on society of the era, Dracula’s hopes are dashed when it turns out that even rural, religious, supposed ‘good girls’ are dallying with boys; their tainted blood only serves to weaken him further. Udo Kier stars as the Count, and his unique expresons play well into this story of vampire lost in modernity.

‘Salem’s Lot (1979) Though this adaptation of the Stephen King novel by the same name is technically a made for televion production, it truly cannot be denied its place in the history of the modern vampire film. Lacking extreme gore but extremely heavy on atmosphere, this film tells the story of author Ben Mears, returned to his hometown to write a story that had been nagging at him for years, namely that of the local supposedly-haunted house on the hill, the Marsten House. Coinciding with Ben’s arrival in town is that of the mysterious Mr. Straker and his unseen companion, Mr. Barlow, who have taken up redence in the brooding Marsten House. Almost immediately, strange things begin to happy in ‘Salem’s Lot, including the deaths of local schoolboys and even the gravedigger. The lead vampire’s look is a throwback to Nosferatu, with elongated ears and fingers and an unearthly glare. With creepy scenes that seems almost too dark for televion - a levitating vampire boy, whispering from outde his brother’s bedroom window, for one - the moody, frightening film set a new standard that would carry on into the next decade.

And with that, we end out look at these two decades. The 60’s and 70’s are over, and you didn’t even have to wear a polyester leisure suit or do the Hustle. Now THAT would be scary.

Coming next? Vampires go from punk to fop in the 80’s and 90’s.Check out the first part of this series, Vampires on Film 1900-1950’s, here: http://www.horrorbid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=16019
dew Thursday 8/11/2011 at 12:46 AM | 80399
What?

No mention of House of Dark Shadows (1972) or Dracula: The Prince of Darkness, or Dracula has risen from the grave, or Scars of Dracula, or Dracula 1972 AD, Satanic Rites of Dracula or Dracula (Frank Langella) and Love at first Bite.
Darkling Thursday 8/11/2011 at 06:24 AM | 80430
If you take a peek back at the first article in the series, I mentioned that I 'm not compiling an exhaustive list of every vampire film from each decade, only noting the ones that seemed to stand out to me in particular. I also have planned a final article on vampires in televion, where House of Dark Shadows would be mentioned in relation to the soap (original and 90's revamp). I condered Love at First Bite but I personally am not a fan of spoofs, and nce The Fearless Vampire Killers and Blacula are both often condered farcical to varying degrees, I chose not to mention it. Satanic Rites, Prince of Darkness, Risen from the Grave, Scars and AD 1972 are more or less sequels of the '58 Dracula covered in the last article, and I'm not going into sequels in depth. I did mention that many sequels to the '58 film were made. I skipped out on Langella's Drac mply because this is a vampire list, not a Dracula list. There are more (and in many cases, better) vampire stories out there than the constant retelling (and remodeling) of Stoker's story, and it seems unfair to clog every list with the Count and leave out more modern tales.
dew Thursday 8/11/2011 at 12:09 PM | 80436
great article!
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 8/14/2011 at 12:19 AM | 80592
Nice articles!

Although I would like more Lee too and no Count Yorga, but you're right that it was a good time with a lot of scares and adaptations.
KB24 Sunday 8/14/2011 at 01:11 AM | 80594