Forums Horror Movie Reviews
We Should All Take A Trip Down To "THE COTTAGE" : Review

When it comes to horror comedies, I don't tend to like them. Not because I don't like comedies, just the oppote,

I love a good laugh. But when mixing the genres, I find that the humor falls flat, or the horror is too cheesy. Too cheesy? I know some of you ( Obscure) will be wondering how I can say that. I love cheesy movies, I just don't like it when it's purposely a comedy coming off as cheesy. With that said, let's start. The Cottage is a Comedy/Crime/Horror film. The entire film is based around a ngle kidnapping. Peter, the good son, is convinced by his brother, wrong de of the tracks, David, to help him with a kidnapping. If it succeeds, David will give Peter his half of the house their mother left them. They got the girl no problem, and take her out to a cottage in the middle of the woods, time to just wait for their money. What could posbly go wrong?mple, everything. Including the deformed lunatic who lives near by. The one the villagers tried to warn them about.nce this film is at the forefront a comedy, and a horror second, it's important that the films jokes work. They do, I don't think I stopped laughing the entire time I watched the film. There's something about the UK, they seem to be the only one that does horror comedy right. This film has a milar feel to Severance, and Dog House, two UK comedy/horror that both pull it off with great ease.As the film progresses, and we start to see more of the horror elements at play, and while they don't work to provoke fear, they work well to give you that Slasher movie feel we remember the 80s so fondly for. Our killer is just one big bad ass, and the ways he kills are tremendous fun to watch.The kills are so fun to watch, due to the effects. While I don't think there's a unique way to kill some one in this film, save for maybe tearing some ones head, and spine out, the effects they are done with are just so fun.

There's no CGI used for the kills, just good old fashion practical effects, which earns respect in my book.

The muc is also used to great effect, to heighten the humor more so then the horror. I guarantee everyone who watches will recognize a certain piece with great nostalgia to a lovable shark.

My final note is on the acting. It is filled with a wonderful cast, Andy Serkis, as many people know from LOTR, as well as Reece Shearsmith, from Shaun Of The Dead. Every ones favorite Cenobite even stops by for a cameo!

So, if you want a good laugh, and some slasher fun, check out the Cottage, I highly recommend that you do.

Score - 95% Gore - 9/10

HorrorDaily Thursday 8/11/2011 at 01:20 AM | 80402
There's something about the UK, they seem to be the only one that does horror comedy right.

You're definitely right on that tip. I'm not hugely keen on horror-comedy as a genre and was thinking I'd skip this one, until you mentioned that! They definitely know how to do it.

That being said - what an odd cover image for the film! Absolutely no indication that it would be at all comedic. How strange!

Great review - keep them coming!
dew Thursday 8/11/2011 at 01:26 AM | 80406
There's something about the UK, they seem to be the only one that does horror comedy right.

You're definitely right on that tip. I'm not hugely keen on horror-comedy as a genre and was thinking I'd skip this one, until you mentioned that! They definitely know how to do it.

That being said - what an odd cover image for the film! Absolutely no indication that it would be at all comedic. How strange!

Great review - keep them coming touche!! :)
xStarcasm Thursday 8/11/2011 at 01:32 AM | 80407
Another great review. I loved this film as well. Really didn't know what to expect when I picked it up used, but it certainly was a well spent $4.00!!!
Anonymous Thursday 8/11/2011 at 03:02 AM | 80414
Thanks. I got it today for my birthday, it was in the 2 for 10 bin I got : The Descent, Dead Girl, Midnight Meat Train, Funny Games, Hatchet, and more. I constantly find gems in there. When I empty one out of all it's horror, I go to another one. The same company supplies the dvds to at least four stores around here that I know of :)
HorrorDaily Thursday 8/11/2011 at 03:40 AM | 80415
one of my favorites, especially from the last decade (damn you for reviewing it, as i had planned to! lol)

awesome work my man!
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 8/11/2011 at 04:57 AM | 80425
Great review and thanks for the shout out. Happy late birthday!
ObscureCinema101 Thursday 8/11/2011 at 10:20 PM | 80465