Forums Horror Movie Talk
Left On The Cutting Room Floor : Sublime

So far in this series, we've looked at how when a film is cut for violence, it can really take away from the feel of the movie. We've also looked at how a film can be released unrated, as a means for making money. This time around I want to shine the light on Sublime, a movie with only two scenes cut from it, taking away 16 minutes.

Sublime is the story of George, going into the hospital for a colonoscopy the day after his 40th birthday. Mix ups happen, and he is left without one of his legs. During his stay at the hospital, the lines between reality and deluon start to bleed over.

The first scene comes fifty minutes into the film, adding almost eight in a half minutes to the over all length of the film, and removes some really interesting story developments.

George and his nurse enter into locked part of the hospital, and make it to a library, and he searches for his file. The unrated veron scene starts here, with him searching longer for his file.

When he finally find it, it shows pictures of his disease, of which viewing causes him to collapse.

The nurse helps him up, and he tells her he would like to go back to his room, this leads them to travel down a dark hallway in the closed off part of the hospital.

This scene takes a sudden dark, and very surreal turn, starting with them first coming across an old lady who is washing the floor with blood.

Moving further down the hallway, they see a little boy playing on the floor, while in the room behind him a doctor is preforming liposucation.

In the next room we see a woman breast feeding her baby.

In the room after that we see a doctor putting in breast implants.

In the room after that we get treated with the oddest part of the scene. A doctor having sex with a woman, who revels herself to be George's wife.

George collapses again, and the next scene starts.

George is tting at a table, with a lawyer, the head phycian, his wife and his doctor. They are talking about his file that he found, to which he is told it wasn't his, but of a patient from years ago. George demands to go home, but is told he can't do that. He also tells them they need to call the police because 'a negro' killed the person in the bed next to him. The rated veron picks up here, with them asking if George is a racist.

The second scene that is cut comes in just ten minutes after the first one ends. This cut is only a few seconds shorter then the first one as well.

It starts with George crying in his bed, and his nurse asking him why he's crying, and telling him she would take care of him.

She follows this by getting on top of George, and having sex with him. While their having sex she removes her top, and we see that her back is covered in a tree tattoo.

The movie cuts from George and the nurse having sex, to him and his wife having sex. As they come, she tells him happy birthday.

The film then cuts back to George laying in his bed and watching tv. It's the shopping channel, which first shows a knife rack, an oil lamp, and a photo album with pictures of his family.

After seeing this George jumps from his bed to his wheelchair , he makes his way through the hospital until he is in front of the closed off section of the hospital again, tears down the tape in his way, and goes through until he is in front of an elevator.

After getting on the elevator, it starts to crash, seems to stop, then crashes down a bit more. The doors open a bit, and he forces them open the rest of the way.

The rated veron picks up again after he leaves the elevator.

So what is the point of these cuts? It's 16 creepy minutes that I feel make the film even better, but none of them show anything we haven't already seen in a R rated film. The scene with the nurse is a must see scene, nce it's her back and tattoo that is on the box art!
HorrorDaily Saturday 8/13/2011 at 12:47 AM | 80541
I love these articles...(I'm on my knees - with hands held in prayer) please keep them coming.
Anonymous Saturday 8/13/2011 at 02:44 AM | 80551
Don't worry, I got at least 11 more planned out. I also have 35 weeks of Monster Mondays planned out.
HorrorDaily Saturday 8/13/2011 at 03:05 AM | 80553
Holy Crap!! That's insane, but glad to hear it!! :)
Anonymous Saturday 8/13/2011 at 03:31 AM | 80555