Forums Horror Movie Talk
Guillermo del Toro Opens Up And Talks PACIFIC RIM With MTV

Guillermo del Toro has remained pretty tight-lipped abut his upcoming monster flick Pacific Rim, but the director sat down recently with MTV and loosened his lips a little by responding to a few questions regarding the film in the excluve interview.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/922/guillermodeltoro.

When asked if Pacific Rim is a monster movie, an invaon movie, or a combination of both, Del Toro said,"I started developing 'Pacific Rim' a little over a year ago. I came in when it was only a pitch of a couple of pages. But the pitch is what trapped me. I thought it was not an invaon movie, it was really a new way of having giant monsters, giant robots battle each other. I proposed a couple of ideas to Travis

and Legendary,

and they accepted them, and I thought, 'well, this is really now interesting for me thematically, and the characters are interesting.'"

Del Toro admitted to being overly fond to the masve, city-wide brawls between robots and monsters, but he also claimed that it's the much smaller characters that really intrigue him. "In the human scale, you have characters that I really, really like." Attested, Del Toro. "Putting the two together is what made it really attractive to me. To have something where I root for not the large robots, but I root for the tiny little stories and the people inde those robots. That's what made it interesting."

When asked about the degn of the monster, he replied, "We are honoring the kaiju monsters, the kaiju genre is Japan that is outlandish, but is always incredibly appealing. It's not deformed, asymmetric, bulbous, cancerous monsters, it's really highly effective creatures."

Pacific Rim stars Charlie Day, Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Max Martini, and Rinko Kikuchi, with many more expected to join before the film hits theaters on July 12, 2013.

Source: Latin Review
Anonymous Saturday 8/13/2011 at 08:22 PM | 80581