Forums Horror Movie Talk
FINAL DESTINATION: Anybody Up For A Sixth One?

Final Destination 5

has finally arrived and death managed to pull in a meager $18,031,396 for it's opening weekend in theaters, a number which put it 3rd on the charts for the week. Currently the film has received mixed reviews from fans and critics alike, and the question of the day seems to be - will there be a 6th part?

According to the horror series producer, Craig Perry, whose been holding Death’s scythe nce 2000, "That is entirely up to audiences to decide. You know, we had so much fun making this one , it was creatively reenergizing, that we feel, if we get the opportunity, if the audience responds, we would love another chance to try and master the movie."

Should we see another chapter in the franchise, or should the series be put to rest?
Anonymous Tuesday 8/16/2011 at 08:49 PM | 80811
I'm hoping they put it to rest. I haven't been very entertained nce the first two.

Then again, back in the late 80's when they were pumping out Nightmare's and Friday's I was still a kid and pretty much felt the same way, despite even being a fan. Now, as terrible as some of them are, I get a big kick out of them.

Maybe i'll one day feel the same about FD.
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 8/16/2011 at 09:15 PM | 80817
i def will want to watch 6th
RAGINGDEMON500 Tuesday 8/16/2011 at 10:39 PM | 80828
I can't say enough good things about this franchise, and with that said let me get right down to it as to why. The initial entry came at a time when audiences were completely bombarded by the slasher subgenre of horror. While they always tend to catch our eye, this little gem came at as from nowhere and was a welcome fresh entry to the horror world. Of course one could say now fast forwarding 11 years, how is this series different than any other given it's increang number of sequels?!!! The answer is this... Final Destination does not take itself too seriously, it does an excellent job of having a mple story and a few characters you care about and others you don't and also throws in a bit of camp too. I could keep going but I'll leave it there for now... As for my ratings of each of the films, they are as follows:

Final Destination- 3.5 out of 4 stars. Final Destination 2 - 3 out of 4 stars. Final Destination 3 - 2.5 out of 4 stars. Final Destination 4 - 2 out of 4 stars. Final Destination 5 - 3 out of 4 stars.

However, my order from best to worst would be:

- Final Destination - Final Destination 2 - Final Destination 5 - Final Destination 3 - Final Destination 4

So there you have it, and let's not forget that in an interview with Tony Todd last year he had said that if the 5th entry did well with audiences, the 6th and 7th installments would be greenlit and filmed back-to-back. Whether or not this is still true is irrelevant in my opinion, because based on the fifth movie I have to say I am all for it. Remember I'll reiterate that these films do not take themselves too seriously, it ends up being the audiences that do which causes the numbers to decline. But rest assured that combined with the inevitable foreign returns and DVD/Blu-ray numbers, I don't think this is the end of Death as we know it. ;-)
BringerOfAfterDark Wednesday 8/17/2011 at 03:17 AM | 80845
I just don't see how they could make it different from prior installments. Lets face it, although these films are a lot of fun, they did introduce a new twist in 5 with them wanting to murder others to save themselves but the formula is bacally the same in every film.

The first two films were the best because the acting was a lot better, the muc score seemed better and the openings were and still are the best in the franchise. The fifth film was a lot better then part 3 or 4 but it wasn't that great and the fact that in the ending It ties into the very first Final Destination is a great way to end the franchise. Especially with showing all the monumental deaths during the credits. As much as I have enjoyed watching them, making another one would just turn it into another Franchise like SAW. SAW started off great but after part 3 there really was no reason for any more bedes money and that seems to be diminishing with Final Destination so just end it already.
Sephit Wednesday 8/17/2011 at 03:42 AM | 80849
@Sephit - I totally agree regarding that with the way they did part 5 and how it ended I'd say yes let it be because it was so great and did it a solid for sure!!! Just want to make it clear to add to my previous post that yes if this is the last one I'd be totally thrilled and content with that. However, if they do go ahead with greenlighting another sequel or two then yes I will see them mply because I have seen all of the others lol. But other than that the series if to end now would be solid and I'd be fine to move ahead with my horror genre without another Death outing in my future! :-)
BringerOfAfterDark Wednesday 8/17/2011 at 04:00 AM | 80854