Forums Horror Movie Talk
Let Me In VS Let The Right One In: Which do you prefer?

I want to start out by saying that i prefer Let The Right One In; but I thoroughly enjoyed both films. This isn’t a hateful rant. This is me thinking out loud and trying to fully understand why Let The Right One In appeals to me in a way that Let Me In isn’t capable of.

Sometimes it just helps to put it down on paper, and get feedback.

Usually when someone prefers Let Me In to its predecessor, they will tell you that the storytelling is methodical, the acting and dialogue are razor sharp, and it has a quick, more established pace. I don’t disagree with any of that - but in this instance, I conder that to be a con rather than a pro. While its true that some of the sequences and nature of the story telling are more coheve and definitive in Let Me In - to fans of the original, all of that means diddly squat. Let me tell you why -

We don't love Let The Right One In because of by-the-books, methodical story telling; or for dialogue with coheon and continuity. We love Let The Right One In for the beautiful cinematography, it’s “dream-like” feel, it’s mysterious and intriguing characters, and above all else - we love Let The Right One In for its subtlety - all of which is lost in the remake. (Ironic that I bolded subtlety?)

Lets take a look at a few examples.

Exhibit A) Eli/Abby's caretaker's self afflicted injury: Here we have a man on his last limb, trapped mentally and phycally in his own prison. Do we really need a summer blockbuster-esque car crash to exemplify that? Maybe the general American public does, (no offense, none taken, ok) but the general American audiences aren't the ones that loved, or had even heard of Let The Right One In. I am a proud American but i'm just being realistic, here. We all know Let Me In's only purpose was to bring an amazing story to American audiences. (I hope I didn’t come off as too much of an asshole in this pargraph. It wasn't my intention. Please keep reading)

Exhibit B) Violence: I'm not saying Let The Right One In wasn't violent in it's own way - it was. But throughout the violence it maintained it's subtly. The first kill we witness shakes out pretty much the same way in both adaptations, with one MAJOR difference. In Let Me In, we are forced to watch a close-up shot of the caretaker's pocket-knife puncturing deep into the young man's neck. Is that really necessary? I love blood and guts as much as the next guy, but the director was misng the point entirely. I can go on and on about the excess of gratuitous and unnecessary violence (not to mention the CGI) in Let Me In; but i think you get the point. Again, where did the subtlety go?

Exhibit C) The Cop/Lacke: In one corner, we have a tragic hero, who has had everything stripped away from him by Eli. It hits you on an emotional level. You don't want Lacke to succeed in killing Eli - but you know where he is coming from. The viewer is torn, and the notion of right and wrong gets flipped completely upde down. By all means, you SHOULD be rooting for Lacke, he's done nothing wrong and he is the real victim - but the viewer’s love for the children gets in the way of what should be a mple notion. In the other corner, we have a regular ol' John McClane. He shoots first, asks questions later, and is pursuing Abby because, well - he's John McClane. There is nothing to this character. He serves as a vessel to move the story along from point A to B, without any inght as to why we should care. The stereotypical cop once again makes things eaer for the casual audience to follow!

Exhibit D) Sound and mucal score: Let The Right One In is a quiet movie. There is little-to-no dialogue, and when there is muc, it is soft, soothing, and fits right in with the tone of the film. In Let Me In, When Abby enters Owen's house uninvited, we hear muc not dismilar from something along the lines of Mozart's famous Dies Irae. Its loud, its obnoxious, and it is unnecessary. In Let The Right One In, we know Eli is getting fucked up during this scene; we feel her pain. We don't need muc reminiscent of storming the gates of hell to clarify this for us.

I think Let Me In tried to be quiet, and at times almost fooled you into thinking its quiet; but it isn’t.

Exhibit

E) THE POOL SCENE: The most important moment in the film. I don't think i need to go into to many words to explain how this sequence got completely fucked up in Let Me In. I think it should be obvious - and it fits right in with my theme of subtlety. Even though this is the most intense part in the film, the original does it in a way that it is still calming; its still quiet; its still beautiful. This scene was my biggest pet peeve in the remake; why was it so dark? why was it so loud? Why did it come across as being forced and chaotic? Was that truly the director's intention? Was that his "vion"? Or was his "vion" really just the pretty paycheck he knew he'd be getting.

In short, The title "Let Me In" really says it all. Its a command; Its loud and blatant; its Rock'n Roll; its America!

Let The Right One In is like fine wine. You p it slowly; its smooth; every last p has the integrity and competence of the last p. This is why i think its unfair to say that Let Me In did anything better than the original. It is my opinion that to say Let Me In succeeded in any area, that the original did not, is to not understand what made Let The Right One In the masterpiece that it is.

Thank you for reading. If you made it all the way through and agree, disagree, or want to punch my freaking lights out - please leave me your feedback below. Kudos, Bidites!
AgnesItsMeBilly Friday 8/19/2011 at 07:26 AM | 81098
awesome right up

exhibit E is so SPOT ON! The original scene....holy shit was that a powerful scene. Definitely the remakes biggest weakness, for me personally.

Liked the remake, but didnt love it, like i did the original. You hammered home some great points.
Matt_Molgaard Friday 8/19/2011 at 05:17 PM | 81120
"a summer blockbuster-esque car crash"

Really? Its a car crash. Thats all. Right off the bat, this is a biased write-up.

While LTROI is gorgeous to look at, the fact alone that LMI is in English bridges the ability to feel closer attached to it.

LTROI is cold in comparison, not in a setting's sense - its just emotionless, in my eyes. Whether someone wants to interpret that as more effective, fine. I felt nothing for Eli and Oskar. I was hooked with Abby and Owen. They were far more effective at making me believe them.

I bought the original when it came out. In my top 20 favorite films. The remake booted it out. Although, Exhibit E is pretty spot on. Hardly the most important part of the film, though.
mattryan Friday 8/19/2011 at 05:26 PM | 81122
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

@MattRyan

In hindght, i don't think i made it clear enough how much i actually enjoyed Let Me In. When Let Me In was first released, i boycotted it in theaters. I wanted nothing to do with it, and was furious it was being remade no more than two years after the original. It just flat out didn't make sense to me.

HOWEVER, When i did get around to watching it - i was highly intrigued. It was extremely well made, well acted, and it did an excellent job bringing a great story to the masses.

I realize i may come off as biased; (and i certainly am to some extent) but I want you to understand that I own Let Me In, have seen it numerous times, and waited as long as i could for BOTH movies to nk in before doing a write-up. In other words, these aren't the angry rumblings of a fanboy. I have truly thought about this for quite a while, and it comes straight from the heart. I have no agenda, here.
AgnesItsMeBilly Friday 8/19/2011 at 08:50 PM | 81136
"a summer blockbuster-esque car crash"

Really? Its a car crash. Thats all. Right off the bat, this is a biased write-up.

While LTROI is gorgeous to look at, the fact alone that LMI is in English bridges the ability to feel closer attached to it.

LTROI is cold in comparison, not in a setting's sense - its just emotionless, in my eyes. Whether someone wants to interpret that as more effective, fine. I felt nothing for Eli and Oskar. I was hooked with Abby and Owen. They were far more effective at making me believe them.

I bought the original when it came out. In my top 20 favorite films. The remake booted it out. Although, Exhibit E is pretty spot on. Hardly the most important part of the film, though.

interesting thoughts, I felt exactly the same, just reversed. I don't think the language barrier effected the film in the slightest. I can read pretty good.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 8/20/2011 at 05:18 PM | 81190
I watch quite a bit of movies with subtitles. So the fact that Let Me In is in English does absolutely nothing for me in terms of being able to relate to, and feel emotion through the characters. At the same time, I do understand why that may be difficult for some people.

In any case, even though its a case study, "the fact alone that LMI is in English bridges the ability to feel closer attached to it", does nothing more than add to my argument of Let Me In making things effortless for American audiences.
AgnesItsMeBilly Saturday 8/20/2011 at 07:09 PM | 81195
Honestly, they were done milarly enough that I have a tough time choong one over the other.

That's why I was so pleasantly surprised by the remake.

I figured that the American filmmakers would butcher it, but they did a terrific job staying true to the original.

In a perfect world, I'd pick the original, but done in English so I didn't have to read (because I'm a lazy American).
gummi Monday 8/22/2011 at 01:40 AM | 81273
I certainly prefer the original, but don't conder Let Me In a bad movie, just unnecessary.

Most people who'd watch it had most likely already seen Let the Right One In.

I felt bad for new Hammer when I learned they were involved in it.
unnatural Sunday 9/18/2011 at 11:14 PM | 82926