Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Does The "Fright Night" Remake Deserve A Chance? : Review

I want to start this out by saying, I have never had as much fun going to a movie as I did with Fright Night. That being said, let's jump right in.

The story of Fright Night is bacally the same as the 1985 original, Vampire moves in next door. It's very mple, but it's not about the story here, it's about the characters and the action.

In this remake, we have a lot, and I do mean a lot, more action. There is exploons and some of the coolest vampire fight scenes. Now the action in the movie is quite over the top, but I personally loved it for that reason, it's just balls to the wall insane. There's gun action, exploons, car chases , and even a fight with a battle ax. Those who remember the original might not like it for this reason, it changes a lot, but as it's a modern re-telling, I don't really mind.

The acting in the movie is absolutely some of the best I've seen in a big budget horror flick in a long time. Colin Farrell plays the vamp, and manages to be both charming and malevolent at the same time, in what I think is one of his best roles. Anton Yelchin proves once again that he has what it takes to move up in the acting world ( if you want to see him in a chilling role check out the Criminal Minds episode he is in)

The effects in the movie I'm half and half about.

The way the vampires move when fighting tends to look really fake, but they don't do it very much, which is a good thing. The blood is cgi, and looks fake as all hell, but the gory bits, which are also cgi, look really good, so you can forgive them on the blood. Some of the 3d effects made it hard to focus on what was going on I found, like when a vampire is reduced to ashes.

Seriously guys, give Fright Night a chance, I think if you go in, and don't try to compare it to the first, you'll have a great time.

Score - 90% Gore - 8/10

http://youtu.be/txgGhyjPZGg
HorrorDaily Saturday 8/20/2011 at 12:10 AM | 81152
Do you think it would be better in 3D or not? Going to see it tomorrow.
ObscureCinema101 Saturday 8/20/2011 at 01:21 AM | 81156
2D. I saw it in 3d, theres a couple good effects, but for the most part, I found it annoying just wearing the glasses when there wasn't much they were good for.
HorrorDaily Saturday 8/20/2011 at 01:39 AM | 81158
I just got back from seeing this, and for a remake, it passes. Loved the changed up parts in the story, more Evil Ed with some funny ass lines, and the Sarandon cameo. I absolutely love this film, and I don't care what anyone else says, it's still an amazing film.
thatonemovieguy2010 Saturday 8/20/2011 at 03:12 AM | 81170