Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Even If It Isn't Original, Is It Still Good? Final Destination 5 (2011) Review

I have FINALLY gotten the chance to view the latest chapter in the seemingly endless saga of Final Destination films. My good friend HorrorDaily did a review of this a week ago (when it was released) which was leaning toward the negative de of things, but I always manage to see the potive aspects in almost anything, which is why I am talking about it today. I haven't seen all the previous Final Destination movies (only 1, 2, and part of 3), so I'm not tired of the familiar plot quite yet. Buckle your seat belts, because we're going in.

Final Destination 5 2011 Review and hops off the bus along with a small group of his co-workers. As you can most likely guess, the bridge ends up colla, people die, and death starts hunting them down. But wait! There's actually a twist mixed into the plot. It seems that if one of the people targeted by death kills someone else, they get the years of the person they killed. So if someone was supposed to live for twenty more years, and they got killed by one of the people supposed to die on the bridge, then they would get to live for twenty more years. Well now, Sam and Molly have to try and stop death before all of their friends are dead or begin killing people to survive.

Final Destination 5 is one film that I was totally oblivious to. It was like a week before its release that I saw a preview for it and thought, Another one? I was doubtful, but in the trailer, there was just something about it that seemed different, more intelligent. Well, I sure was fooled because this is one of the most illogical films I've seen in 2011! Once again, the main reason to watch it is for the creative and very bloody kills. There really isn't much suspense in it, but I always ended up being surprised at how each person died. Like HorrorDaily pointed out, some deaths have great build-ups but weak concluons. It's very bloody, and I liked that there was at least some fake blood, and not just CGI blood all the way. It's good to see the old Karo-syrup and red dye mix on screen once in a while. The acting in the movie is exceptionally bad, with poorly written characters and dialogue. I did enjoy seeing David Koechner as Dennis, and I got more than a couple laughs from P.J. Byrne as Isaac. Tony Todd even has an all-too-brief cameo as our favorite coroner, William Bludworth. There's even one character who looks EXACTLY like a young Tom Cruise. The opening tragedy was actually surpringly well done, with some great visual effects and deaths that would have happened. The fact that one of the characters would have survived is a nice twist on the plot, and the tie-in at the end gave me a big, toothy grin. If you have seen the previous FD films and never get tired of the same plot just tweaked around, Fianl Destination 5 will prove to be great entertainment for you. Even if you don't like the smae recycled formula, you should still give this a chance. It's very gory, very unpredictable (bedes the plot) and creative, and it has some great 3D moments! If you haven't seen this yet, I'd probably recommend seeing it in 3D. I saw it in 2D, but it looks like there are some great visuals that would really work in the 3D format. It's fun, cheesy, and even worth buying on DVD! http://youtu.be/zLKR3GdIK80
ObscureCinema101 Sunday 8/21/2011 at 01:37 PM | 81229
@Obscure,

Thanks for the review. I actually plan on seeing this tonight. It seems you were going into this with the same expectations i am - which time and time again proves to be a good thing. Why re-invent the wheel when it still works perfectly? These flicks are fun, cheesy splatterfests - and i have no problem with that.
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 8/21/2011 at 01:52 PM | 81230