Forums Horror Movie Talk
Early Box Office Estimates Are In: Fright Night Underwhelms

The early box office estimates are in, and the highly hyped, much-discussed Fright Night didn’t exactly fare well. The Craig Gillespie helmed remake hit 3,114 theatres, but managed to draw an embarrasng $7.9 million in ticket sales. That’s a far cry from the estimated high-teen numbers most pundits anticipated.

The film even failed to crack the top five, debuting in the number x slot, just slightly outperforming Final Destination 5, which fell four slots to place seventh with $7.7 million ($32 million after two weeks release) in ticket sales.

While these numbers are bleak, it’s important to remember that August is statistically the worst month of the year for the box office.

Though Fright Night's debut numbers are abysmal (to put it kindly), genre fans can still find a touch of solace in the fact that Rise of the Planet of the Apes continues to thrill moviegoers: the Rupert Wyatt helmed reboot fell just one place, from first to second, and took in another $16 million at the box office to bring the film's three week total to over $133 million domestically.

Check out the box office top 10, according to boxofficemojo.com:

1. The Help - $20.4 million 2. Rise of the Planet of the Apes - $16.3 million 3. Spy Kids: All the time in the World - $12 million 4. Conan the Barbarian - $10 million 5. The Smurfs - $8 million 6. Fright Night - $7.9 million 7. Final Destination 5 - $7.7 million 8. 30 Minutes or Less - $6.3 million 9. One Day - $5.1 million 10. Crazy, Stupid, Love. - $4.9 million
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 8/21/2011 at 05:10 PM | 81233
Its still way early but im hopeing it at least makes over its budget...I think they should have waited till there was less competition at the movies before releaseing it...should have waited till around Halloween...But Oh well
chardy Sunday 8/21/2011 at 05:27 PM | 81235
It look really good but the 3D thing I am not a fan of because I can't watch 3D movies .Also the ticket prices are just ridiculous

for these movies .I mean 20.00 to see a movie in 3D no thanks .I but this one for sure .
nightmareblade Sunday 8/21/2011 at 11:50 PM | 81269
Yeah I'm excited to see this but I really think they should have waited until close to halloween to release this. It's just bad timing with a million movies in theaters right now to compete with.
weaponx Monday 8/22/2011 at 01:05 AM | 81272