Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Go Inside The Twisted Mind Of A Serial Killer - THE CELL Review

Horror film or twisted psychological thriller? No matter the category "The Cell" is a film to delve into regardless of what section it may belong to when you purchase it on the store shelf.

Have you ever wondered what lies inde the mind of a serial killer? Have you ever wondered what makes them work, what makes them tick? We may never truly know what has driven them to commit such violent acts, was it the abuve or neglectful parent? Was it being looked down on by friends and family? The answers to many of those question may never come to fruition, cinema has tried to give us a look into the mind of these demented individuals but they've only explained there madness to us they have never shown us what there minds are like or how they see themselves in there own world. Tarsem ngh's "The Cell" shows you there world and how sometimes the most unassuming and harmless looking people can harbor a darker de to them.

"The Cell" is a film that is straight out of the minds of David Lynch and Chris Carter, it's a twisted, bizarre and unique journey into the mind of a torn individual (D'Onfrio) and how one person (Lopez) has to journey into his mind to save his latest victim. This film is filled with breathtakingly beautiful yet strange scenery that extenuates and balances out the strange and startling violence that is blended into this extraordinarily complex, dark and foreboding film that uses it beauty as both a lethal form of expresng the stories deep emotions a way of unleashing the depraved and unhinged nature of a mind lost.

"The Cell" for it is time was very unique and today still stands as a groundbreaking film in the works of cinematography, visuals, art and set degn. This film pushes the boundaries of how far the normal human mind can process a film like it will overwhelm you at times and at others it will awestruck you with its interesting and intriguing plot twist. "The Cell" is not for everyone it's a film meant for audiences with a pason and liking for films that challenge the imagination and go farther and deeper into madness that ever before. If you can handle films like that and are curious about the strange workings of the mind than "The Cell" is the film for you It gives you what you want and so, so much more and in the end it doesn't disappoint.

Jennifer Lopez gives one of her best performances as a strung out child psychiatrist, Lopez has always been nailed as a room com girl and it wasn't until 1999's "Out of ght" that she truly showed what she was really made of now she puts herself out there like never before. Pushing herself to be more than just a nger turned poor actress here she proves she is worthy of being called an actress.

Vince Vaughn is not what you would call a favorite of mine he has never made a film that has truly earned a place on my top tens list but with "The Cell" Vaughn has earned my respect as an actor. Vaughn does not crack any jokes, he does not have a catchy one-liner in fact he does not have one ngle funny thing to say or one funny thing happens to him at all. Vaughn proves that he is a serious actor with his haunted performance as a troubled FBI agent trying to find a killers latest victim. It's not so much his style that is intriguing the way that his character unfolds on screen, it is Vaughn gives him a real authentic feel making the character viable for you to believe what is happening to him and feel his pain. He shows that he can be funny but serious as well and that is why I tip my hat to him.

Vincent D'Onfrio is phenomenal as the extremely disturbed killer D'Onfrio is pure genius in this film, although he does not say much he says everything he needs through his actions. D'Onfrio has always been unconventional and somewhat of an outder and here, he shows with the rest of the main cast that he is a standout and a true "actor's actor". The rest of the cast is fantastic and help enhance the performances of the leads as well as make themselves look respectable in there own way.

"The Cell" may not give psychological thriller fans exactly what they hoped for, for those who like films that throw you head first into a twisted searing world of bizarre and breathtaking visuals and a story straight from the mind of a demented individual. "The Cell" is one of the best psychological horror thrillers ever made and it stands true to the fact a film of it's kind can defy the normal realm of human imagination.

Rating: A-

http://youtu.be/ICqzcsQn8Wk
Shakelford, J. Rusty Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 12:04 AM | 81401
I have still not seen this yet. But I have seen the Horse Scene, and have wanted to ever nce.
HorrorDaily Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 12:10 AM | 81402
Just got done watching it and had to write a review. It was a great movie much in the vein of say Se7en with more twisted visuals.
Shakelford, J. Rusty Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 12:18 AM | 81404
It was a great movie much in the vein of say Se7en

Them's fightin' words!

Take it back!
gummi Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 01:31 AM | 81416
Alright, maybe not exactly but close! LOL!!!
Shakelford, J. Rusty Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 01:52 AM | 81419
Shame on you Rusty for not seeing this earlier but I guess late is better than never I was a HUGE "Brothers Quay" fan back in college and many of the twisted scenes in "The Cell" were inspired by those shorts . . . if you haven't seen them yet I know there are a bunch on youtube.

Still, I remember seeing "The Cell" in theaters and thinking to myself that it was on par with "lence of the Lambs" (personal opinion folks, ad hominem attacks aren't necessary).

Great Flick!
DaShape Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 02:42 AM | 81430
I would definitely put it on my top watch list and how I missed it, I can't really explain. I really had only seen a few clips going in so when I flipped it on finally I was in disbelief on how great a movie it was. D'Onfrio was brilliant in this film!
Shakelford, J. Rusty Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 03:09 AM | 81433
Still, I remember seeing "The Cell" in theaters and thinking to myself that it was on par with "lence of the Lambs" (personal opinion folks, ad hominem attacks aren't necessary).

That's it!

It's on like Donkey Kong now!

Just mesng with you guys, I can't rest.Even though I don't compare it to lence of the Lambs or Se7en, I did actually like the movie and have it in my collection.

I can't even remember how long ago I bought it on DVD, at least five years, and it's still in the shrink wrap for some reason.

I may have to break it out tonight.

This was one of the rare occaons in my adult life that I went to see a movie in the theater with my parents.

They were in town for the day viting, and I couldn't think of anything better to do.

I'd just like to say to anyone who hasn't seen this movie, it's not something that you'll be comfortable watching with your mom tting right next to you.

gummi Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 03:28 AM | 81435
I LOVE this movie. so underrated. it's pretty fucked up without being over the top. and its sad at the same time. and it was something NEW & different for once. loveeddddd it.
ImTheWolf Wednesday 8/24/2011 at 08:37 PM | 81473