Forums Horror Movie Talk
Dan Aykroyd Confirms: GHOSTBUSTERS 3 Is SET For 2012 - With Or Without Bill Murray

Some very proming news is coming from the Ghostbusters camp today. According to Dan Aykrod, who appeared on the Dennis Miller Show to discuss the upcoming project, Ghostbusters 3 will roll on next year with or without the presence of Bill Murray.

Aykroyd wasn't hetant to drop some very specific details regarding the third chapter of the franchise, hinting at a posble production shoot which will commence sometime in the Spring of 2012 - regardless of what happens casting-wise.

"Yes, we will be doing the movie and hopefully with Mr. Murray," says Aykroyd, "That is our hope. We have an excellent script. What we have to remember is that 'Ghostbusters' is bigger than any one component, although Billy was absolutely the lead and contributive to it in a masve way, as was the director and Harold , myself and gourney . The concept is much larger than any individual role and the promise of 'Ghostbusters 3' is that we get to hand the equipment and the franchise down to new blood."

Aykroyd also confirmed that a new generation of Ghostbusters will be handed the torch in the sequel.

My character, Ray, is now blind in one eye and can't drive the cadillac," he says, "He's got a bad knee and can't carry the packs... Egon is too large to get into the harness. We need young blood and that's the promise. We're gonna hand it to a new generation."

As far as who might be cast to fill the shoes of the future Ghostbusters crew, Aykroyd suggested one name, but he made it clear that no names have been set.

"I like this guy Matthew Gray Gubler from the 'Criminal Minds' show. But there's going to be a casting. We're going to see everyone that wants to do it. We're going to need... three guys and a young woman."

Stay put for more deets regarding GB3.

Source: Dennis Miller Radio.com, STYD
Anonymous Thursday 8/25/2011 at 08:34 PM | 81549
As a HUGE fan of the Ghostbusters franchise, I would like to say that I think this is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. I remember when talks of part 3 first really surfaced about 15 years ago and the idea was going to be the 4 Ghostbusters and adding in Chris Farley as a 5th (which I thought would have been brilliant), but now this is just madness. What Ghostbusters fan wants to see young 20 something nobodies playing the roles and pretty much guaranteeing not to better the performances of the originals?!

I just realised I could rant like crazy on this so I'll leave it here, but honestly, I love that my memory of Ghostbusters ends with part 1 being Winston yelling out "I LOVE THIS TOWN!!" and part 2 New York City cheering on the team as they save the world again. The last thing I want to see is the dudes all old and not even busting ghosts!
joshk1986 Wednesday 8/31/2011 at 07:37 AM | 81917