Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Does GRAVE ENCOUNTERS Trailer Do The Full Film Justice? (Review)

As soon as I saw the trailer for Grave Encounters (GE),I was hooked. The Idea of mimicking certain TV series' like Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth, and turn it into a Horror Film was perfect.The movie is about Lance Preston who is an aspiring film director who is ahead of his time with his show GE. Him and his team lock their selves up in an old Mental Asylum for a full night. Once inde they put a camera in every paranormal hotspot, and hope to catch something on film. But enough of a summary, I don't want to ruin your experience watching this film.

GE offers up something more than just another Paranormal Activity type film. It's first person camera feel really sets up for the emotion they feel. To me it feels like the Blair Witch Project only more of a storyline put into it. This film does have a few cheap jump scenes. But also it has nice scares, and eerie moments that make you really feel for the characters, especially the female of the GE group. The ending was also a nice twist to change up the formula of this type of film. All i can say is Lance cared a little bit to much about his TV show becoming a hit no matter if in his right mind or not.

This ghost flick is definitely worth a watch. If your into Ghost type movies or even first person type camera stuff ie.. Blair Witch, REC, etc.. then you should watch this film due to the fact it will not disappoint. I highly recommended GE for any horror fan new or old.

So my final rating of this film would be a solid 8/10, it isn't going to be a clasc but it's something worth talking over.
AJxSCREAMx87 Wednesday 8/31/2011 at 09:56 AM | 81919
Man, I was so disappointed with this movie!

In my opinion, I think they went wrong in two areas. One is I think if you're going to do the 'found footage' genre right, the scariest is always sticking to a certain level of believability. Cloverfield ade, I think most found footage films carry a certain level of believability (Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity etc.) and once the special effects bonanza kicked into this movie, I think it really damaged the scariness of the film. It did for me anyway.

The other part I thought they went wrong is that they definately did not abide by the rule of what you DON'T see is sometimes what is scariest of all. The first part of the film was really creepy but then once the demons and ghosts showed up it lost all atmosphere.
joshk1986 Thursday 9/01/2011 at 12:50 PM | 82013