Forums Horror Movie Reviews
I Wish I Could Forget But "I STILL KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER" - Review

I watch a lot of bad movies. When you watch a horror movie a day, you're bound to come across a few, and that's alright, you expect it. But when I re-watch a movie I loved as a kid, only to see how truly weak it is. That hurts.

The film starts off with a dream sequence of our main character, Julie James, played by Jennifer Love Hewitt, in a church, telling the story of the first movie. Don't worry, if you miss it this time around, she'll do it again later just to make sure you're all caught up.

Julie, having survived the events from the first film, has left her small home town, and her love interest, Ray, played by Freddy Prinze Jr, behind for college life. She has new friends, that const of the annoying black roommate, the annoying black roommates boyfriend, and the new guy Will Benson. The black roommate wins a trip to the Bahamas, by answering a question wrong, and Julie invites Ray to go. He turns her down, but changes his mind and decides to spend the night driving up, but gets attacked by The Fisherman, and doesn't make it, so Julie takes Ben instead. Once there, ready for fun in the sun, they learn that it's the start of storm season there, and all transportation off the island is canceled, leaving The Fisherman to hunt as he pleases.

Now, I'm going to get into spoilers, but really if you haven't seen the film already, you're not going to. Or at least I hope you're not going to.

The Fisherman's plan was as follows: Have his son Will (Get it Benson? Ben son!) become friends with Julie. Buy four tickets to the Bahamas for when storm season starts. Set up a fake radio contest in order for them to win said tickets. Make sure Ray can't make it in time so that Julie has to take Ben. Head to the Bahamas yourself, where you can now pick off everyone involved. Fucking genius. I would of just got Will to stab her, problem solved, just find an alley way.

This film is truly horrible, and has just about every cliche you can think of. They include a dancing scene, where the black roommate and boyfriend talk about how good they are at dancing, and then fail to prove it. They have a karaoke scene turn fright fest. and just about every cheap attempt at a jump scare you can come up with. My favorite, and I use that term lightly, is when Julie comes home, grabs a knife, and we get startled with our first interdiction to the annoying black roommate.

There is also a de plot going on about how Ray was going to propose to Julie, and how after he is attacked, he spends the rest of the movie trying to get to her. The best scene of which involves him pawning the engagement ring for a gun, and telling the pawnbroker he's not going to stand for the waiting period, and still getting the fucking gun!

The acting in the film is terrible. All of the main characters give completely weak performances, Freddy Prince Jr and the black couple, Karla Wilson, and Tyrell Martin, they left a very bad taste in my mouth, on how stereotypical they are portrayed. The best part of the movie comes from two great cameos. One is Jack Black playing an awesome stoner, and you can tell he's just having fun with the role. The other is Jeffery Combs playing the hotel manager.

Bedes for the two awesome cameos, the gore in the movie is well done, for what little we see. There is quite a bit more gore and kills than in I Know What You Did Last Summer, but at the same time, it feels weaker due to how quickly it moves on past it. You barely have enough time to register what happened, let alone appreciate it.It's hard to believe I use to love this movie when I was younger, but it's been 12 years nce I seen it, so I'm willing to forgive myself, if I have been able to turn any of you away.

Score - 5% - And that's just for Jack Black and Jeffery Combs Gore - 5/10

http://youtu.be/99yCJwP97Uo
HorrorDaily Wednesday 8/31/2011 at 06:34 PM | 81938
i agree for the most part, though I would have tacked on a few points for the nostalgia factor. I was a little thrown off by your need to continuously label Mekhi Phifer and Brandy the "black couple". A little offenve in all honesty...
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/01/2011 at 01:51 AM | 81968
I watched this film not long ago and though it was much

more fun than I expected it to be. Plus I thought it was a decent sequel and felt a lot like the first. The cinematography here is also very nice and polished.

Part 3, now there's a movie you can bitch about. At least this has some great cameo actors, good acting, and is humorous as well as edgy at times. Out of 10 I'd probably give it a 7.
Zombie Dude Thursday 9/01/2011 at 01:57 AM | 81969
I was a little thrown off by your need to continuously label Mekhi Phifer and Brandy the "black couple". A little offenve in all honesty... Why? They were a black couple. It's not racist, it's fact.
Zombie Dude Thursday 9/01/2011 at 02:04 AM | 81971
I was a little thrown off by your need to continuously label Mekhi Phifer and Brandy the "black couple". A little offenve in all honesty... Why? They were a black couple. It's not racist, it's fact.

then why not refer to JLH as "the main white girl", repeatedy?
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/01/2011 at 02:09 AM | 81973

then why not refer to JLH as "the main white girl", repeatedy? Because he's talking about it as a stereotype...

Plus JLH is a well know actress. People will know who he's talking about.
Zombie Dude Thursday 9/01/2011 at 02:13 AM | 81975

then why not refer to JLH as "the main white girl", repeatedy? Because he's talking about it as a stereotype...

Plus JLH is a well know actress. People will know who he's talking about.

i think to mention it once is "talking about it as a stereotype"; it doesn't need to be repeated multiple times IMO.

And Brandy is a multi platinum selling artist - you don't think people know who she is? Mekhi has done some commercialy successful pictures like Dawn of the Dead, and 8 Mile, in addition to some big tv runs, including work on ER, Lie To Me and Curb Your Enthuasm...you don't think he's a recognizable actor?

I'm not black, and I dont take masve offense to it (though i have been in an interracial relationship for 12 years), I just think it's a tactless way to word things.
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/01/2011 at 02:38 AM | 81976
i agree for the most part, though I would have tacked on a few points for the nostalgia factor. I was a little thrown off by your need to continuously label Mekhi Phifer and Brandy the "black couple". A little offenve in all honesty...

I was afraid it would come off as racist, but in reality the problem I had with it and the reason I kept doing it, was because of how stereotypical and unlike any of my friends or acquiescence's that act like they do. It was just so late 90s opinion of African Americans in pop culture.
HorrorDaily Thursday 9/01/2011 at 02:47 AM | 81977

I was afraid it would come off as racist, but in reality the problem I had with it and the reason I kept doing it, was because of how stereotypical and unlike any of my friends or acquiescence's that act like they do. It was just so late 90s opinion of African Americans in pop culture.

Understandable, and like I say, I didn't find it SUPER offenve. After I read the review though I thought to myself "it would piss me off if a black man wrote an article, and referred to an actor as 'that white guy' throughout the whole piece."
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/01/2011 at 03:09 AM | 81981
Understandable, and like I say, I didn't find it SUPER offenve. After I read the review though I thought to myself "it would piss me off if a black man wrote an article, and referred to an actor as 'that white guy' throughout the whole piece." You must be easy to piss off then. You are a white guy, just as I am. I don't think it's racist to describe a person by their colour. I mean now even the children's nursery rhyme Bah Bah Black Sheep is condered offenve by some people. It's just stupid.
Zombie Dude Thursday 9/01/2011 at 06:43 AM | 81998
Both terrific points and now it's squashed.

That is how it works here. Fun! Good points now back to wether the film sucked or not. :)

How about a review down the road of I ALWAYS KNIOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER HorrorDaily,
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 9/01/2011 at 06:53 AM | 82002

That is how it works here. Fun! Good points now back to wether the film sucked or not. :)

How about a review down the road of I ALWAYS KNIOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER HorrorDaily, Like I mentioned before, that movie stank. Biggest piece of crap I've seen in a while. It was shot shitty, acted shitty and the plot was shitty. Just saying

Zombie Dude Thursday 9/01/2011 at 06:57 AM | 82003

How about a review down the road of I ALWAYS KNIOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER HorrorDaily,

I got it kicking around my collection some where, I'll dig it out.

I'm moving this week, and have to leave my dvd and collectible collections behind until I get my own apartment, so I'm going to be doing a lot of netflix reviews in the next month.
HorrorDaily Friday 9/02/2011 at 09:53 PM | 82093
Yeah well I'm black, and I thought you were doing to much with your review.

There was nothing stereotypical about the characters, so i think what ever problems you felt the chracters had as relates to race was your own problem, and has nothing to do with how the characters were portrayed.

"None of my black friends act like that, so these chracters are stereotypes" that statement is arrogant as hell. you need to check yourself.
Hutch Saturday 9/03/2011 at 04:57 AM | 82111
Yeah well I'm black, and I thought you were doing to much with your review.

There was nothing stereotypical about the characters, so i think what ever problems you felt the chracters had as relates to race was your own problem, and has nothing to do with how the characters were portrayed.

"None of my black friends act like that, so these chracters are stereotypes" that statement is arrogant as hell. you need to check yourself. I must say, seeing the movie I didn't really think of those characters as stereotypical. Just more of a comic relief at times. I love how the black guy can never get time with his misses alone. Cracked me up

Zombie Dude Saturday 9/03/2011 at 05:20 AM | 82112
Not touching the racism discuson, but back to the shitty film... I was a little irked as a viewer that they would assume their audience was stupid enough not to notice the answer to the "radio" question was wrong straight off.
dew Wednesday 9/07/2011 at 12:10 AM | 82253