Forums Horror Movie Talk
25 Fun, Little Known Facts of Horror!

Who isn’t intrigued by those rare pieces of cinematic 411 that often feel more fiction than fact? Consumers get a masve kick out of rare facts surrounding their favorite horror flicks, and I am no exception: In fact, I often find ridiculous entertainment in these obscure tidbits of info, and I figured, maybe you will too, so why not put together a list of 25 lesser known facts of horror?

Check out this series of little known facts, and don’t for a ngle moment hetate to add any secretive information you yourself may possess! We want to know what few others do!

1. Betsy Palmer initially passed on the role of Pamella Voorhees but took the job after her Mercedes died and she needed a new car.

2. Clint Eastwood's very first film shot was the horror movie “Tarantula”. He depicted a pilot with a face mask.

3. Boris Karloff was the initial inspiration for the face of Marvels early INCREDIBLE HULK character.

4. It’s been rumored that Writer/Director Wes Craven got the inspiration for the name 'Freddy Krueger' from a childhood bully, when in fact, the inspiration for the name comes from a string of stories run in the Los Angeles Times about a series of mysterious deaths: All the victims had reported recurring nightmares beforehand about a man named Mr. K.; the character itself however was inspired by a childhood bully of Craven’s.

5. Per request, Bela Lugo was buried in the original costume cape of his iconic Universal Monster, Dracula.

6. Actor Michael Berryman who starred in the original 'Hills Have Eyes' was born with a staggering 12 different birth defects which accounts for his malformed head.

7. Charles Manson, Lee Harvey Oswald, and James Earl Ray are indirectly responble for the naming of the infamous "Chucky" doll whose full name in the film was Charles Lee Ray.

8. Ken Kirzinger, the actor who played Jason in Freddy vs Jason played the cook tossed into the mirror in the diner in Jason takes Manhattan.

9. Children of the Corn is technically a remake. The Stephen King Short Story made its first film appearance as a short film in King’s Nightshift Collection Volume 2, under the title, “Disciples of the Crow”.

10. At the very beginning of Friday the 13th 2, the legs and feet of Jason walking after the child that ngs 'row row row your boat' are those of a woman.

11. Kane Hodder has the word “kill” tattoo'd on the inde of his lower lip.

12. In "Halloween," Jamie Lee Curtis' entire wardrobe was purchased for roughly $100, at J.C. Penney of all places.

13. One time actor Warrington Gilette who played Jason in 'Friday the 13th Part 2' is the heir to the Gilette razor empire handed down to him by his father who inherited it from HIS father.

14. Fear of Friday the 13th is very real. In medical lingo, the technical term for this specific phobia is 'paraskevidekatriaphobia '.

15. "Alien" was initially going to be titled "Star Beast".

16. In the film "28 Days Later", the abandoned streets of London were cleared by slowing traffic with a roadblock. The scenes were then shot very quickly with a digital camera while the streets were empty for a few moments.

17. At one point in time, revered evangelist Billy Graham claimed that a real demon reded in the celluloid reels of the movie, "The Exorcist."

18. In the 2007 film, "Hostel II", the woman who bathes in virgin blood is based on mass murderer Elizabeth Bathory (called the Blood Countess of Hungary or, the Blood Queen). It was rumored that Bathory killed more than 600 peasant girls, though her guilt still remains in question to this day.

19. During the auditions for the part of Cole Sear in M. Night Shyamalan’s, "The xth Sense", actor Haley Joel Osment was the only boy to wear a tie; it is alleged that this is one of the reasons he was ultimately offered the part.

20. Laurence Fishburne's space suit in "Event Horizon" weighed 65 pounds.

21. In 1974's "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" a real human skeleton from India was used toward the end of the movie because it actually cost less than a false plastic one.

22. Famed director Takashi Miike can be seen in a cameo role in 2005's "Hostel."; he is the bunessman who speaks to Paxton outde the warehouse.

23. Popular comedian Dana Carvey got his movie debut in 1981's "Halloween II"; a blond reporter is speaking to him in front of the Doyle house.

24. While filming, "Seson 9" actor David Caruso claims to have seen "something pass his window" inde the Danvers mental hospital where shooting was done. He was hetant to tell anyone because he didn't want people to "look at him strangely."

25. In the film "Stir of Echoes" Kevin Bacon's hypnos sequences are followed by a mucal note so that susceptible viewers are not left in a hypnotized state.

Again, feel free to share any lesser known facts of horror running the hamster wheel within your noggins: knowledge is power, and we want it!
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/01/2011 at 12:56 AM | 81957
Nice article on uncanny truths in horror, Matt...I liked it!
MOWDEReeL Thursday 9/01/2011 at 01:13 AM | 81961
I thought I would have known all of these but I was pleasantly surprised, great read!
NightWalkerCinema Thursday 9/01/2011 at 01:27 AM | 81964
Loved this, I've actually never heard a lot of these. One thing though, Wes Craven did name Freddy after a childhood bully, nce it conjured a lot of bad memories for him. The articles are what inspired people dying in their dreams and he also mentioned a man who was stalking the streets outde his house late at night who scared the bejeezus out of him as a kid that inspired Freddy's demeanor. This was all from interviews he did in the wonderful documentary Never Sleep Again.
ShoddyStitches Thursday 9/01/2011 at 01:33 AM | 81965
Loved this, I've actually never heard a lot of these. One thing though, Wes Craven did name Freddy after a childhood bully, nce it conjured a lot of bad memories for him. The articles are what inspired people dying in their dreams and he also mentioned a man who was stalking the streets outde his house late at night who scared the bejeezus out of him as a kid that inspired Freddy's demeanor. This was all from interviews he did in the wonderful documentary Never Sleep Again.

Theres a vid (I believe on dailymotion) in which Craven addresses that - he states that the name was inspired by the recurring figure seen in the dreams of those who died (in the real story): his name was reportedly "Mr. K" - he goes on to talk about the fact that the character (not the name) was inspired by his own bully.

I'll try and find the vid now...
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/01/2011 at 01:39 AM | 81967
Ha. I ran a few articles milar to this a while back, it was called Horror Movie Trivia of the Day.

Here's the graphic and links;

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/3157.

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5
Anonymous Thursday 9/01/2011 at 02:56 AM | 81978
Ha. I ran a few articles milar to this a while back, it was called Horror Movie Trivia of the Day.

Here's the graphic and links;

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/3157.

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

::heads to check out!::
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/01/2011 at 03:12 AM | 81982
I love collecting horror trivia ( My iphone is used mostly for such aps) but I only knew 9 of these and two of them I knew not because of history, but psychology and history, two other topics I love to study
HorrorDaily Thursday 9/01/2011 at 05:27 AM | 81993
Very interesting article. Out of all of them, I knew two. (7 & 18).
Ryze Thursday 9/01/2011 at 06:10 PM | 82023